Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the direction of DG?
Drastic changes are needed like smaller or chainless baskets 5 4.35%
Current growth indicates we are on the right path 110 95.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2020, 12:45 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 710
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,532 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee76007 View Post
Leave those chains alone! Last night was my third round with my almost 7-year old Grandson, and he loves the sound of those chains. After our first round together we shook the chains together on No. 18, its our tradition.
He leaped for joy last night when he dropped a bogey on a 243 foot hole, it was the sound of the chains that excited him. I had to explain the term bogey to him. The bogey didn't mean much to him.
Might have been a birdie if par was set for his skill level. ;-)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,518 Times in 1,008 Posts

Well would ya look at that. 96% of voters so far think everything is fine as is.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 213
Niced 611 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Make up your own poll then. If you feel like people would vote differently.
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
"when something doesn't agree with me it's illegitimate."

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2020, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,128 Times in 2,001 Posts

Let's merge a few polls so we can prove that (1) artificial OB is bad and (2) is increasing and (3) disc golf is on the right path.

Then let people run around in a circle -- or, I guess, a triangle.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Courses Played: 12
Niced 11 Times in 4 Posts

Seems to be on a great trajectory. Before this year, I had only played disc golf a few times with a friend and watched Jomez about once every three months. Once the pandemic hit (which I honestly think has helped the sport immensely), I found out there was a course 5 minutes from my house. My office was closed and I was working from home so I ended up playing nearly every day during lunch and bought a ton of discs and a new bag within the next 2 months. I saw the exact same trend happen with several friends.

I think the pandemic in conjunction with high quality coverage of pro events (mainly Jomez but I've noticed a lot more channels now with stellar quality) has probably had a huge impact on the sport. Maybe it'll fall off a bit now that college and professional football are back, but when there were no sports to watch during the summer I was binging disc golf coverage every day.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 709 Times in 269 Posts

Definitely need more “sponsored” players to push plastic on random people at local putter courses. That’s about all that’s missing from my perspective.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

Selfishly, I hope it dies down a bit. I enjoy the coverage and all the youtube vlogs, but...

I liked being able to have the course to myself during off hours and buy things like discs or bags that I want. This summer, I was getting to the course at 6:30 on my day off to try to be able to play a multiple shot round and I'd still encounter 2 or 3 or 4 groups on tiny 9 hole courses.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2020, 05:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 96
Niced 363 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
How do you feel about the current direction of disc golf?

Do you feel drastic changes such as smaller baskets, or chainless baskets are needed?

Or do you see the current rate of growth as an indication that DG is already on the right path?
What disc golf needs is money and changed expectations IMO. I would like to see more private courses and the expectation, and acceptance, from players that they will have to pay something to play a nice course. My thought is that such a change would lead to more high quality, private courses.

It would also be nice to see a tournament fee and payout structure that made it more profitable to hold tournaments. Now, many participate in tournaments, not to win, but simply with the expectation that they will come away with their entry fee's worth of merchandise even if they come in dead last.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 123 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
What disc golf needs is money and changed expectations IMO. I would like to see more private courses and the expectation, and acceptance, from players that they will have to pay something to play a nice course. My thought is that such a change would lead to more high quality, private courses.

It would also be nice to see a tournament fee and payout structure that made it more profitable to hold tournaments. Now, many participate in tournaments, not to win, but simply with the expectation that they will come away with their entry fee's worth of merchandise even if they come in dead last.
Depends where you live. In my area (chicago burbs, Naperville area) there is no such thing as pay to play and ive got almost 100 courses within 50 miles of my house. The first time I heard about charging people to play disc golf I thought they were screwing with me.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 158
Niced 783 Times in 317 Posts

The only thing I really don't like about the way things are moving as far as the growth of DG is the trend of moving onto ball golf courses. I know this is a personal opinion and a lot of people like this trend, but I will take a disc golf fairway over a ball golf fairway 98 out of 100 times. What other sport uses another sport's field to play their game on? I do realize we need to put courses where and when we have the opportunity. If they would just design DG holes on the BG course (I'm sure it can be done) I would be more on board with it. I'm talking about trees/natural obstacles.

Our local club has two 18-hole courses on a ball golf course. They're beautiful courses, but it's 1-4 wide open throws depending on length, then putt. Bores me beyond tears. I have 2 free passes and club members get one free day per month, but I never bother to play there. I just don't find it much fun. The only real challenge is distance. End/BG course rant.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by jeffmonty; 09-24-2020 at 07:00 PM.