Old 07-19-2022, 11:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 407 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
Last Tuesday I woke up in the morning, and my left knee (my drive knee) was aching and felt very unstable. The area around the kneecap felt loose, if that makes sense. At first I thought it might have been because I somehow slept weird on it (which very well still might be the case). But it also got me thinking, maybe the combination of my getting older-- currently sitting at 33-- combined with the over time stress of throwing 5-7 full rounds a week for the last 3 years, plus suboptimal form, have lead to strain in the ligaments on my drive knee. I was theorizing that perhaps I don't get off my drive leg the cleanest, and do a little inward jerk with my drive knee to cheat hip rotation. When I try to do this in my house with no disc in hand from a standstill, I definitely feel a lot of pressure on my knee in its current state. After I give my several days of rest from disc golf, I'm going to hit the field and see if I can remedy my drive leg, and try to get off of it as fast and smooth as possible, by really focusing on lifting my drive heel up earlier, so I can fall into my plant.

Has anybody else experienced drive knee pain due to bad mechanics?
For two months at the beginning of the year I had knee pain on the drive leg with no help with an anti-inflammatory drug. It actually hurt more to walk the course, than it did to throw, playing a few elevated courses it would throb driving home. I picked up omicron during this time and didn't throw a disc for three weeks and the pain stayed with me when I got back to field work for a week. That's when I started to search for a knee brace.

Anyway, I ordered this NEENCA Knee Brace off of amazon (the link wouldn't transfer to here) wore it about 6 hours a day, but not while discing. The pain left after 5 days, haven't worn the brace in 3 1/2 months and the knee feels good, and not sure why I had the pain for those two months. Recommended it to a friend who still had post knee surgery pain, and she tells me the pain went away gradually over a period of a month. Despite my NICU nurse wife explaining to me how the brace works, it still doesn't make any since to me how quickly the pain went away. I'm now field working a quality x-step with no discomfort. For only $20 dollars might be worth ordering for yourself?

NEENCA Knee Brace,Knee Compression Sleeve Support with Patella Gel Pad & Side Spring Stabilizers,Medical Grade Knee Protector for Running,Meniscus Tear,Arthritis,Joint Pain Relief,ACL,Injury Recovery
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2022, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 762 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
I'll see if I can get that upper body more upright and leaned back when I practice the drive foot heel raise. I used to have a super small crossover step as well, but it seems over time it has kept getting larger and larger.
Recommend trying to find a more natural transition over the stride w/ posture rocking back and forth like Hammer Swing X-step. It's fairly easy to get the posture in transition wrong. Definitely trying to get into a more athletic posture in transition w/ smaller crossover and no s-curve is important, worried about back issues down the line there too.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:23 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee76007 View Post
For two months at the beginning of the year I had knee pain on the drive leg with no help with an anti-inflammatory drug. It actually hurt more to walk the course, than it did to throw, playing a few elevated courses it would throb driving home. I picked up omicron during this time and didn't throw a disc for three weeks and the pain stayed with me when I got back to field work for a week. That's when I started to search for a knee brace.

Anyway, I ordered this NEENCA Knee Brace off of amazon (the link wouldn't transfer to here) wore it about 6 hours a day, but not while discing. The pain left after 5 days, haven't worn the brace in 3 1/2 months and the knee feels good, and not sure why I had the pain for those two months. Recommended it to a friend who still had post knee surgery pain, and she tells me the pain went away gradually over a period of a month. Despite my NICU nurse wife explaining to me how the brace works, it still doesn't make any since to me how quickly the pain went away. I'm now field working a quality x-step with no discomfort. For only $20 dollars might be worth ordering for yourself?

NEENCA Knee Brace,Knee Compression Sleeve Support with Patella Gel Pad & Side Spring Stabilizers,Medical Grade Knee Protector for Running,Meniscus Tear,Arthritis,Joint Pain Relief,ACL,Injury Recovery
Talked to my PT about this before - one line of thinking is that for some people when you wear the brace + reduce the pain a bit, your gait might start to self-correct because you're not compensating for the pain. So you get into a more natural locomotion pattern. He didn't recommend that as a front line of defense since most people still have gait problems w/ braces, but I thought it was interesting. Didn't fix my DG swing but it did help me get more comfortable walking again eventually (soft but firm compression sleeve).

Niced: (1)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 385 Times in 235 Posts

Luckily my knee isn't to the point where it's hurting while walking or needing a brace, I don't think. Gave it a couple days rest and played a round today, taking my footwork extra slowly and throwing only about 60-70% at max. Focused on staying more upright while walking slower, trying to lift that rear foot up faster, and really letting a solid pendulum swing do most of the work. Ended up playing better than average, didn't feel much pain from the knee, and was still throwing pretty far with little effort, which equates to around 360 feet on pure hyzers, and maybe 380 on flat releases that fully flex out. My recent average at my local course is -2 to -4, my personal best is -8, and today I shot -5.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-20-2022, 04:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 101 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Luckily my knee isn't to the point where it's hurting while walking or needing a brace, I don't think. Gave it a couple days rest and played a round today, taking my footwork extra slowly and throwing only about 60-70% at max. Focused on staying more upright while walking slower, trying to lift that rear foot up faster, and really letting a solid pendulum swing do most of the work. Ended up playing better than average, didn't feel much pain from the knee, and was still throwing pretty far with little effort, which equates to around 360 feet on pure hyzers, and maybe 380 on flat releases that fully flex out. My recent average at my local course is -2 to -4, my personal best is -8, and today I shot -5.
Rock that old man golf.
Pendulum throw, flippy stuff. Easy money.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:35 PM
Eagle Member

When I achieved "pogo legs" in my form, I could move my hips better and hurt my knees less.

When I made a minor adjustment to my pelvic tilt, I could rock the hips more quickly and reduced strain on my lumbar region and knees.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:17 PM
Eagle Member

When I started rocking better, my legs overall took less jerk stress. My hips became aggravated with repetitive motion, including some nasty transient plant side sciatica.

When I doing static and dynamic piriformis stretches, I reduced hip inflammation.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

When I started allowing my shoulder to externally rotate out of the pocket into the hit, I had dramatically less stress on the throwing upper right pec, anterior shoulder, biceps, and elbow.