Old 04-15-2018, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 674 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkimbertx View Post
Speed can't be purely defined by wing width, though. The Nuke is a 2.5 but no one calls it a speed 15 driver. Speed is a relative term made up by Innova to describe the nature of a disc. Personally, I find the thunderbird to be a true speed 9, and the PD flies faster than it for me. Same wing width, different results.
I think speed should be dictated not only by the width of the rim, but the depth of it too. Some discs have very shallow rims (Flick, Katana). The Flick is listed as speed 9, but I think it flies much more like a speed 13-14 disc. Same with the Katana. That thing is laser fast.

The Boss and Katana have the same width rim. However, the Katana has a much shallower rim. Wouldn't that aspect alone make the disc cut through the air faster than a Boss?

As for the DDX, its a bit of a strange disc. It flies exactly like a Tern, but with a noticeably sharp/heavy fade. Like it suddenly stops going forward and falls out of the air like a rock. Its pretty inelegant and costs the disc some distance. Frankly I'd rather throw a Tern. The DDX is good for throws where you need that hooking fade though.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 04-15-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
As for the DDX, its a bit of a strange disc. It flies exactly like a Tern, but with a noticeably sharp/heavy fade. Like it suddenly stops going forward and falls out of the air like a rock. Its pretty inelegant and costs the disc some distance. Frankly I'd rather throw a Tern. The DDX is good for throws where you need that hooking fade though.
I tried the DDx, particularly the C-line DDx, as my wind fighting distance driver to compliment the Tern. It was okay, but I never really jelled with it. Same story as with many Discmania discs for me.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 674 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I tried the DDx, particularly the C-line DDx, as my wind fighting distance driver to compliment the Tern. It was okay, but I never really jelled with it. Same story as with many Discmania discs for me.
I had some absolute bombs with a blizzard DD2, but I agree I'm not huge into Discmania. I liked the DDX, but I've never had reason to toss it in the bag. It doesn't nothing for me a Tern or Shryke won't. Shorter than either of them too.

Granted, I've never thrown any Discmania fairway drivers or mids. Who knows, they could have some great stuff there.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

I also had that sudden dump halfway through the fade with the DDX. It was weird. It bombed for me tho, although not quite as long as the Tern. It was more predictable than my star Terns in regards to its HSS, but the dumping fade made me take it out of the bag. The FD on the other hand is a must-bag fairway driver for me. Very much a point and shoot disc, super versatile

Old 04-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I had some absolute bombs with a blizzard DD2, but I agree I'm not huge into Discmania. I liked the DDX, but I've never had reason to toss it in the bag. It doesn't nothing for me a Tern or Shryke won't. Shorter than either of them too.

Granted, I've never thrown any Discmania fairway drivers or mids. Who knows, they could have some great stuff there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I also had that sudden dump halfway through the fade with the DDX. It was weird. It bombed for me tho, although not quite as long as the Tern. It was more predictable than my star Terns in regards to its HSS, but the dumping fade made me take it out of the bag. The FD on the other hand is a must-bag fairway driver for me. Very much a point and shoot disc, super versatile
The FD is probably the best Discmania disc for me. The P2 does well, also.

One Discmania disc that was a real disappointment for me was the TD. Felt good in the hand, seemed to feel good coming out of the hand. Even had a guy on my home course compliment my throw of a TD, as it had no OAT and flew with a little turn then a tiny fade. But it just didn't seem to 'get there', like the air just wasn't underneath it. The Beast flies better for me.

Last edited by SD86; 04-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

I'm a HUGE fan of the 2nd run S-DD. The Wraith fit perfectly in my hand for a FH, but i found i liked the feel even for with the DD and it flies super far for me. I've also used it as a longer Thunderbird and feel it holds up well to that idea. Anywhere i would normally use a Destroyer but don't want to go too far either way because of a tighter fairway, i pull the DD out as well and usually is a perfect shot. I had a DDx and felt it sat right in between the Tern and the Shryke but it was def fickle. Not the same flight every shot. I could never get comfortable with it and the Shryke seemed to fit that spot perfectly so out went the Tern and DDx.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
In the wraith thread I was recommended the Discmania DD as an overstable counterpart to the straight stable star wraiths currently available. As a conscientious poster I deign to clutter that thread with off topic talk so I’ll pose my question here:

Are S line DD’s flat topped or particularly domed?
Grain of salt but IME I haven't noticed any particularly domed ones. Mine isn't really flat but its got a gradual dome and fairly flat across most of the top. I've never seen a pop top DD but I haven't handled a bunch of them either. Hope that helps.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,170 Times in 547 Posts

I have a stiff S-Line pop top DD (old themed stamp version).

Super OS.

That and those C-Line Sexton Sigs.

Pop top OS goodness as well
Old 10-15-2018, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 580 Times in 426 Posts

was looking for a DDX forum but only found this --- anyway

Just got a Glow DDx 175g --- super flat ----holy crapola is it stable - I tried to rip it, even with a headwind it barely got any turn. It is super flat so there is minimal glide . I really like the S-Line - nice US distance driver, felt great, good grip. The glow - though not the same at all. Not to say its bad, but its SUPER flat - fast, and overstable. So I'll have a use for it but it will definitely be for a different duty - I grabbed another S line just cuz - hope they run more Swirly S lines in the future. that's all folks

Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 705 Times in 289 Posts

A Glow DDx came in my mystery box. It's flat but honestly a bit easier to grip than the S-Line DDx I've tried in the past. Feels a tad taller...

Anywho I didn't like this disc much before because I cannot for the life of me get a consistent grip on it. It's possibly the shallowest feeling disc ever made.

I will probably save this one for a special occasion in the Spring.

Anyone have any anecdotal thoughts about this mold and the variations that exist?