Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
PDGA lists 21.1 cm diameter. Are the stock runs that much smaller?
Apparently I'm losing my mind. I measured 8.25in which translates to 21cm. So, not small, just feel that way to me I guess. But they are not very tall. I have pics of them with both a zone and archer for comparison but file size is too large for me to upload, so I'll do that when I'm on a comp instead of my phone
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 809 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Apparently I'm losing my mind. I measured 8.25in which translates to 21cm. So, not small, just feel that way to me I guess. But they are not very tall. I have pics of them with both a zone and archer for comparison but file size is too large for me to upload, so I'll do that when I'm on a comp instead of my phone
cool.
I think the PDGA minimum legal diameter is 21.0 cm. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that certain blends shrink down under 21 cm.

In theory, a smaller disc is easier to get into a target. If the Sol was really 20.0, I was going to sprint to the store to buy some LOL

thanks for checking!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 41 Times in 25 Posts

Anyone have a profile pic of the sol?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr32 View Post
Anyone have a profile pic of the sol?
Here are some shots of the ace race version. The sols are the pink and the green discs. For comparison, I have a new z-zone (yellow) and the ace-race archer (orange)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar sol and archer with zone.jpg (34.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg sol archer zone archer.jpg (14.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg zone and 2 sols.jpg (12.6 KB, 24 views)

Old 03-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Eagle Member

And here is a view of the inner rim of the pink ace race sol. It has a tiny bead. I didn't even notice that it has a bead until I looked at the picture and then I went and got the disc and saw it. Anyway, the profile looks a lot like a slimmer and trimmer version of the zone in my opinion. Like I said, it feels small but it really isn't. Maybe it just looks small sitting next to my buzzzes. I don't know, but you can see that the Sols are thinner than the zone. PDGA lists the zone as a height of 2.0 cm and the Sol at 1.7 cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sol inner.jpg (44.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg sol rim bead.jpg (52.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 219 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Finally got out to the course to throw around my Uli Raptor. Disc is great and looks awesome but that plastic is super slick. Ordered a Raptor in Z so it'll be interesting to see how different it is.
Have you ever thrown a Predator? If so how does it compare?

As far as the slickness goes, I usually fill my sink up with the hot water from the tap and let it soak for a bit. It's only 120-130f or so which won't damage the disc at all. It's usually enough to get most of the oils off the disc though. If it's especially slick I'll wash the disc with Dawn dish soap before I soak it.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,629 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Have you ever thrown a Predator? If so how does it compare?

As far as the slickness goes, I usually fill my sink up with the hot water from the tap and let it soak for a bit. It's only 120-130f or so which won't damage the disc at all. It's usually enough to get most of the oils off the disc though. If it's especially slick I'll wash the disc with Dawn dish soap before I soak it.
Thats a great idea. I may try that tonight.

Its basically feels nothing like the Pred. The thing that kept me from throwing the pred was the funky way the inside lip felt. Seems weird to me that a driver have what feels like a bead on it and especially did not feel good throwing FH. Its a good disc to be sure but I just didn't like the way it felt. The Raptor seems like it flies like a Pred - I guess? But feels in the hand more like a Undertaker or Vulture.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 696 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Finally got out to the course to throw around my Uli Raptor. Disc is great and looks awesome but that plastic is super slick. Ordered a Raptor in Z so it'll be interesting to see how different it is.
To echo riltims post, I always wash new (to me) discs. Whether it's 10/10 or 5/10 I need to wash it and go from there. Hot water soak yes, always soap too though...I feel like it gives me a good constant in the variability of plastic feel equation. Easier for me to make comparisons when many factors are all on the same page a la oils/dirt etc. Yes I also give my bag [discs] a good bath after every few dirty rounds/one real wet and muddy one. Yes I always use the same soap FWIW

Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 170 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
To echo riltims post, I always wash new (to me) discs. Whether it's 10/10 or 5/10 I need to wash it and go from there. Hot water soak yes, always soap too though...I feel like it gives me a good constant in the variability of plastic feel equation. Easier for me to make comparisons when many factors are all on the same page a la oils/dirt etc. Yes I also give my bag [discs] a good bath after every few dirty rounds/one real wet and muddy one. Yes I always use the same soap FWIW
I used to wash my discs every couple of weeks. Now for the last 6 years or so I just let them be and give em a quick wipe / pat down with a microfiber anytime my grip doesn't feel 100%. I actually found that allowing them to just be as they are felt more consistent to me than washing them and having them feel different over the course of the next few rounds as they dirtied up.

Niced: (2)

Old 03-23-2019, 11:40 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 696 Times in 395 Posts

I agree, being anal about clean discs is only hurting yourself. I'm only crazy about it when I first acquire them because I don't know what the previous owner/manufacturer had been touching. It's easy to forget what you've washed off and what you haven't. Makes my initial impressions unique to myself and doesn't upset my (reasonable) allergies in the slightest.

Last edited by GripEnemy; 03-23-2019 at 11:42 PM.