Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 161 Times in 98 Posts
Default 2019 Ace Race August Throwback Disc: Eclipse

Figured since there are three discs this year that the ace race will showcase [resurrect] maybe each should have a dedicated thread. I played the August one a couple days ago.

The Eclipse is a speed 7 disc from what I gather. I was going to go out and throw it some today because an ace race isn't really conducive to a disc that is supposedly 7/5/-2/2

My initial thoughts from the event are:
1. The plastic is supposed to be "premium" and it looks like ESP, but it dings up like Pro-D. I dropped it from waist high in a gravel parking lot and dinged up the rim. Maybe this is normal; I'm not sure since last year's AR sol was also called ESP but was a lot softer to the touch?
2. When thrown (and I haven't had too much of a chance to experiment yet), the disc flew a lot like an Innova Cobra for me. It's kind of a cool disc.

I'll update after throwing some more with it today
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 820 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Figured since there are three discs this year that the ace race will showcase [resurrect] maybe each should have a dedicated thread. I played the August one a couple days ago.

The Eclipse is a speed 7 disc from what I gather. I was going to go out and throw it some today because an ace race isn't really conducive to a disc that is supposedly 7/5/-2/2

My initial thoughts from the event are:
1. The plastic is supposed to be "premium" and it looks like ESP, but it dings up like Pro-D. I dropped it from waist high in a gravel parking lot and dinged up the rim. Maybe this is normal; I'm not sure since last year's AR sol was also called ESP but was a lot softer to the touch?
2. When thrown (and I haven't had too much of a chance to experiment yet), the disc flew a lot like an Innova Cobra for me. It's kind of a cool disc.

I'll update after throwing some more with it today

Okay, so Pro-D, and no Dro-P.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Huh, interesting.. The eclipse was the second driver I ever bought. Had an aviar and went online and bought a DX valk and Pro-D Eclipse. Couldn't jive with the rim, felt like it digged in to my finger.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts

there is a few old eclipses that have been sitting on the used shelves at my local pias

really just smh at these revivals

seems really low effort

Old 08-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 117 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
there is a few old eclipses that have been sitting on the used shelves at my local pias

really just smh at these revivals

seems really low effort
I've been playing 9 years. None of these discs have been OOP for maybe 5 years give or take. Discraft could have done something far more retro.

I can see however why they didn't do a prototype disc. There are what, 5 discs released for McBeth this year? New Discraft molds abound.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,291 Times in 757 Posts

Maybe it´s "X" plastics?, looks alot like ESP but not as durable
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 215 Times in 142 Posts

Just seems like an odd mold to bring back. I haven’t seen anyone begging for eclipses recently. They would have more support with talons and reapers however!

Maybe they have a bunch of old stock that they need to clear out and have an excuse for.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 345 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Just seems like an odd mold to bring back. I haven’t seen anyone begging for eclipses recently. They would have more support with talons and reapers however!

Maybe they have a bunch of old stock that they need to clear out and have an excuse for.
I have a lot of good memories throwing a Reaper when I was in high school. Summertime, get off work at 2, load up with the boys and play a round or two, winner buys pop for the rest of the gang, maybe we all chip in and grab a $4 hot and ready little caesars....

Niced: (2)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:

reapers all day

but they arent too much ace race friendly

Niced: (3)

Old 08-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,004 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:

Talons and Reapers wouldn't be great for those short holes, and they weren't released in the 80s, which is the decade the Eclipse is representing (Hawk for the 90s, Wildcat, 00s). Doubt they wouldn't have enough old stock to supply the Ace Races...