Old 08-05-2019, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,757 Times in 1,708 Posts

Ricky Wysocki - "It's not good form BH or FH to twist(spin) the hips around like that. You want more lateral shift. The hip twist(spin) is more of a followthru thing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-zQt5H2Dw#t=9m9s

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
YES. Posting this to the Spin and Throw page right now.

edit: Scratch that. I've been removed and blocked or the entire page is gone. I'm leaning towards the former lol.
It's still there, trust me. And it's getting worse. Not to bash on anyone or any group, i tried this spin and throw-stuff for a few weeks. I have had the absolute worst performance of the tee for at least two years. Missing my line's left and right, mostly right.

The spinning of the back foot (or knee) creates a really weird angle for the upperbody. Everything goes right and on a slight anhyzer. Yesterday i finally had a somewhat succesful fieldwork and got a few flat shots with a good weightshift. It was weird to actually feel the brace again and feel the core working, instead of just spinning.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Courses Played: 32
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Should I knock on wood? This pretty much eliminated my accidental throws to far right from intended line. Now it only happens when I don't focus enough to not spin and fall back to bad habits. For some unknown reason early spinning got ingrained into my throw along the years.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 812 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Elephant Walk Drill

https://youtu.be/Y-KVWfUkQ3s?t=280

The idea is to walk forward and ONLY allow your arm to swing once your weight is completely stacked over the foot taking the step.
I think that is the magic "pause" everyone talks about once in a while. Would that be correct?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I think that is the magic "pause" everyone talks about once in a while. Would that be correct?
Exactly. I think HUB originally described it to me as allowing your body to "settle" onto the brace. It feels like a pause, but in reality it's just giving your body time to shift all the way onto the front leg BEFORE you swing.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,757 Times in 1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvbcIv4SqP0#t=11m15s
Old 08-09-2019, 01:46 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 490 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Exactly. I think HUB originally described it to me as allowing your body to "settle" onto the brace. It feels like a pause, but in reality it's just giving your body time to shift all the way onto the front leg BEFORE you swing.
I love the SC video that SW posted below, because it's so close to the windmill drill in getting the feeling of the settle - in a very intuitive way. When you windmill or throw a brick underhanded or a basketball underhanded, your body clicks into that optimal frontside pretty quickly.

It's been mind boggling (in a good way) to watch players who have zero effective brace in a backhand, take a basketball (or a golf club, etc) and work out how to throw it 100'.

Make some basic one-arm balance changes and pretty quickly you see the disc being thrown with substantial acceleration.

IMO, that light-bulb moment for most players is where the biggest initial boost comes into play.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Par Member

Here's a feel question for you all:

When the hips shift forward to initiate the throw, do you feel like they are moving before the rest of your body? As if they "takes off" and your head and legs (and arm) are lagging behind and being yanked forward by that hip thrust?

When I first started doing this motion "correctly" (I think), it almost felt cartoonish ...as if Wile E Coyote had a rope tied to his waist connected to an anvil being dropped off a cliff... but when it is pulled, his head and feet stay in frame for a second while he gives the "oh ****" expression.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Par Member

https://imgur.com/LSUifbv

Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 490 Times in 191 Posts

I think it's easy to lag a bit too much and end up with a overly disconnected hip to shoulder, which would be very hard to control.

I think the ideal feeling would be like if i handed you a car tire and told you to toss it up onto the roof of your house (extreme hyzer), down your driveway (slight hyzer) or high and left (anhyzer).