Old 08-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 21 Posts

How did I forget to mention Scott Papa's trick baskets he had for Howliewood at his private Dalaiwood course? One had coated chains so they wouldn't catch, one had welded chains so they REALLY wouldn't catch, and one was about 15' tall. Oh, how I miss that course.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,128 Times in 1,056 Posts

My son and I played on the cone baskets at Moir Park today, just to experience them for ourselves.

I really didn't have any expectations about how different it would be from a "normal" basket with chain, but it didn't take long to realize:

1) Cone targets have a much shorter vertical profile to hit your putt.
2) Since I normally focus on one link when putting, I found it hard to focus on where I wanted my put to go... other than on the cone. It just seemed to present a filed of green, rather than a focal point.
3) I found the sound of hitting a hollow drum that resonates less satisfying than the ching of chains... but I suppose that's at least partially a conditioned response.

All in all, glad I stopped to play the course. Never would have thought it was as different as it was. Neither of us thought they rejected any shots that should have gone in.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 125 Times in 82 Posts

Played to a lot of different targets in the long ago. The course in my hometown had pole holes installed at the outset, so nothing weird there. The course down the road in Ottumwa had coneheads.

Then there were lots of small courses scattered around the state that had all sorts of targets. Played to tone poles, butterfly nets, through hoops, to baskets in the ground, all manner of painted trees/utility poles, homemade pole holes utilizing truck tires and bushel baskets and such.

I actually kind of miss having that variety of targets. Each type forced adjustments to throws and approaches in different ways. The standardization of targets has removed a lot of the need for learning to finesse the disc in the same fashion.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

I like these tone pole targets:

at the Nichols Park courses in Henryetta, OK

They make a good sound and are a reasonable target.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I like these tone pole targets:

at the Nichols Park courses in Henryetta, OK

They make a good sound and are a reasonable target.
Is the top permanent no movement or does it Clang like a bell?

It is in a windy state Oklahoma how would that not be clanging all the time if it is like a bell system?

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-25-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Is the top permanent no movement or does it Clang like a bell?

It is in a windy state Oklahoma how would that not be clanging all the time if it is like a bell system?
It's permanent and doesn't move in the wind. It clangs quite loudly but just when something impacts it, such as a disc.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
It's permanent and doesn't move in the wind. It clangs quite loudly but just when something impacts it, such as a disc.
Okay, I don't see how that is possible But I will take your word, might have to do with being a round object at to why the wind does not affect it unlike something hitting it.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 106
Niced 329 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Okay, I don't see how that is possible But I will take your word, might have to do with being a round object at to why the wind does not affect it unlike something hitting it.
If I were to venture a guess...

The inside top of the tube shaped tone part of the pole is probably welded to the pole that’s secured to the ground. Then the rest of the tube shaped part of the tone pole is left to resonate. Hope that makes sense.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post

The inside top of the tube shaped tone part of the pole is probably welded to the pole that’s secured to the ground. Then the rest of the tube shaped part of the tone pole is left to resonate. Hope that makes sense.
I forgot physics, until later how wind goes around something cylindrical or round to not affect the wind. I mentioned this on an earlier post. It is why oil, gas, and propane trucks are more rounded when transporting those items.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post

The inside top of the tube shaped tone part of the pole is probably welded to the pole thatΒ’s secured to the ground. Then the rest of the tube shaped part of the tone pole is left to resonate. Hope that makes sense.
Also in my area People would steal the top part for money by scrapping, have a few people who make a living doing that in town or just to steal like some hoping to get actual basket replacements.

I know a guy who helped with my dad, my brother, and a friend design a course the less nice guy who tried to take all the credit including deciding what baskets were getting put in place and that he set them out that he eventually stole one of the old Lighting DB-5 on the course before the round Base was set in concrete at one point when they first got set out.

The Steamboat Park course in Pierre (pronounced Pier) South Dakota had these Lighting DB-5 baskets before it got some old Mach III top on the Lightning baskets basically turning the Lightning DB-5 basket into a modern Mach III, this was before the Lighting Baskets even got a second set of chains close to what was already on there eventually using S hooks to hold them to the top and make a ring on the bottom for the new chains.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-26-2019 at 01:02 AM.