Old 08-25-2019, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,842 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
It won't seem like quality control at Disc Mania if you don't know how to tell the various runs apart and what to expect from each run.
I'm pretty partial to the Night Ranger III FD's and the Crescent Chickenhawk II MD4s. Don't know about the rest of you suckers.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,377 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'm pretty partial to the Night Ranger III FD's and the Crescent Chickenhawk II MD4s. Don't know about the rest of you suckers.
Fingers crossed for a Sister Christian MP3 rerelease.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKoolaid View Post
Out of probably 50 F2 innova discs ive bought theres been only one with an issue that slightly affected flight. A gstar roc 3 woth over trimmed flashing. Most are indistinguishable from regular discs and a few havr black specks in the plastic
Odd, I have had Star Shark, production run no flight numbers with flashing that only came off one day when I had to putt with the disc due to wind, for 4 months in good weather I could not use the disc. Then of the last two to get as Innova stopped making Star Shark one I got was truly an Almost G-Star Disc but not as much grip as if the now plastic had gotten over cooked in the mold, the red plastic is a dark red. Well If I like the messed up almost G-Star Shark when my Pro Shark gets too US right now is almost neutral, then I can get the G-Star Shark as a backup for the almost G-Star messed up disc. Also a spot on the rim of the Almost G-Star is messed up I marked them with a Sharpie Extreme as well as put Almost above the Star stamp then a G- before the Star stamp.

So yeah Innova has messed up the Star Shark in the older production run quite a bit and why the Star Shark was always a F2 in modern runs. Now all of the Star Shark discs for now the old production and the Factory Second for the Star Shark are not found the Innova Pro Shop because the Star plastic did not mold for the Shark well so Dave D and Innova stopped the production. Well that and the 30 anniversary Shark came out.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 60
Niced 252 Times in 164 Posts

The only Discmania discs I've thrown multiples of are the FD, and the new Sea Serpent.

My first FD was that famous C-Line run that was mega beef, and the other was a F2 G-Star, so not really comparable.

I like the Sea Serpent, and have thrown two different ones and find them very similar, but those aren't manufactured by Innova.

Sorry, got nothing
Old 08-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
The only Discmania discs I've thrown multiples of are the FD, and the new Sea Serpent.

My first FD was that famous C-Line run that was mega beef, and the other was a F2 G-Star, so not really comparable.

I like the Sea Serpent, and have thrown two different ones and find them very similar, but those aren't manufactured by Innova.

Sorry, got nothing
Do you still have the beefy FD? Assuming it was a second run. I still throw those and am always interested in picking up more.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Niced 43 Times in 34 Posts

I think the plus side of buying from Discmania is that their runs of different discs/plastics are much smaller than whenever Innova does a run of a disc (Ex. A run of FD's might be 2,500 discs, where as a run of Teebirds might be 15,000 discs).

From what I've seen from bagging Discmania only for the past season or so, as long as the discs you buy are from the same run, you're going to have the same discs. There's always going to be some slight variation from run to run from any manufacturer. It's just the nature of molding plastic.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 60
Niced 252 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
Do you still have the beefy FD? Assuming it was a second run. I still throw those and am always interested in picking up more.
I wish - gave it to my son, and he lost it.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Par Member

Niced 108 Times in 49 Posts

innova produces Discmania plastic. Quality will still suck
Old 08-29-2019, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

Innova definitely can be vexing when it comes to QC issues. I think the thing I notice most that irritates me with Innova discs is the blizzardy looking champion plastic coming out lately. Discs that are basically full weight, but still have those lousy, rough air bubble filled rims. I hate those discs. I've seen them in star and champion. The plastic seems junky and inferior to prior blends.

Also, Innova seems to be making Destroyers and Bosses increasingly flat. I don't like that either. It makes the discs glideless and ridiculously overstable. If I wanted an Ape, I'd buy an Ape. I grew to dislike McBeth star Destroyers after a while because every one of them I ran across was flat as a board and flew like an XCal. No glide or turn at all.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 576 Times in 424 Posts

Flashing and inconsistencies are all over the place with innova - I love a lot of their discs but I don't rely on them as much as I used to - and I dislike ordering Innova or DM online for these reasons, I want to be able to physically hold the disc and make sure its what i want. In their defense ALL disc companies have this problem, but...i think innova just Pumps everything out so fast they don't care about QC