Old 08-28-2019, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,774 Times in 422 Posts

FWIW. The last time I spoke with Steve about numbers last year, he told me that the live coverage more or less was close to paying for itself with the ad revenue that it brought in from sponsors. This year things were changed up after the media decisions of the offseason, so I don't know where it stood after that.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 08-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 95 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
thank you so much for saying this. even if i had 4 hours in the middle of the day to watch a live broadcast, i would never do so with the dog$hit coverage we've seen so far. live is better for the drama and avoiding spoilers but it's not worth the horrendous signal quality, camera work, commentating, and filler time.

i look forward to the day i can enjoy live DG coverage but i think that day is far from now.

yes there are things that need improvement. run time is one, especially since there is only coverage of 1, 2 cards max.

however, this year's live coverage at Worlds was great. definitely the best live coverage i have seen.

better live is within reach with continued evolution of production/logistics and technology.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by mmblink86; 08-28-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 465 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
yes there are things that need improvement. run time is one, especially since there is only coverage of 1, 2 cards max.

however, this year's live coverage at Worlds was great. definitely the best live coverage i have seen.

better live is within reach with continued evolution of production/logistics and technology.
And it won't come out of no where and be good. It takes time and development and we are seeing that happen in front of us. I seriously don't understand criticizing the push by Steve for trying to get things like live coverage up to his vision instead of a bit of praise and to think I wonder how long until we get live coverage? Things need a starting point and time. ****ting on the guy that pushes to get stuff rolling and developed because the initial quality isn't up to the level of something like a major broadcast sports network is silly.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
And it won't come out of no where and be good. It takes time and development and we are seeing that happen in front of us. I seriously don't understand criticizing the push by Steve for trying to get things like live coverage up to his vision instead of a bit of praise and to think I wonder how long until we get live coverage? Things need a starting point and time. ****ting on the guy that pushes to get stuff rolling and developed because the initial quality isn't up to the level of something like a major broadcast sports network is silly.
I personally have mostly stopped trying to defend the live product. Some people will never be happy with it. Some think it should just magically be a multimillion dollar production. I am a member of a few live streaming groups for things like sports and corporate events. And some of those people are actually impressed by the production quality that we can attain on the limited budget. Golf is literally one of the hardest sports to cover because the field is so large. And honestly their opinions mean more to me than random internet dudes these days.

For some the length of time will always be an issue. For some the graphics will always be an issue. For some the commentators will always be an issue. You either enjoy live disc golf and the drama or you don't. We will continue to plug away and improve the product year after year as we have done for the past 5 years.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,919 Times in 809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I personally have mostly stopped trying to defend the live product. Some people will never be happy with it. Some think it should just magically be a multimillion dollar production. I am a member of a few live streaming groups for things like sports and corporate events. And some of those people are actually impressed by the production quality that we can attain on the limited budget. Golf is literally one of the hardest sports to cover because the field is so large. And honestly their opinions mean more to me than random internet dudes these days.
Other than the first couple DGPT events this year I am consistently impressed with what you guys manage to get out of the existing technology budget you have. I just feel that until there is another tech leap made it is going to remain something for hardcore disc golf nerds and has little or no chance of attracting those outside our little world. (and crap like the first couple DGPT events of this year is a barrier rather than a help to anything)
Old 08-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Other than the first couple DGPT events this year I am consistently impressed with what you guys manage to get out of the existing technology budget you have. I just feel that until there is another tech leap made it is going to remain something for hardcore disc golf nerds and has little or no chance of attracting those outside our little world. (and crap like the first couple DGPT events of this year is a barrier rather than a help to anything)
Honestly, it isn't really a tech barrier at this point. It is more a manpower/financial barrier I feel. We can put static cameras at locations, but then they kinda have to be short holes because no one is there to man the camera (island holes usually).

And if we want to start editing in other cards on the fly, you need an entire additional crew per card. Because you need people to man the cameras, someone to video switch that card, someone to record the highlight shots and to feed those sliced shots into the primary feed... and do it all in coordination. So you immediately double your manpower for each card you want to film that way. We can handle 2 cards with PIP options pretty well, but beyond that, it is tough.

So, for me personally I would like to see the broadcast improve in 2 aspects. Graphics quality & picture quality. Both will require a little bit of cash. To improve the graphics we need to up our bitrate we transmit. And that is basically doubling the cost of our data to notice a significant improvement. And the graphics is working with UDisc and a good graphics designer to work some things out. And I am already headed down that path.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 86 Times in 32 Posts

Keep up the good work at smashboxx.tv. I have always enjoyed the live coverage and will continue to support your work. Hopefully there will be a long and happy collaboration with the DGPT. Now to get USDGC on board with live coverage for the whole course.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
So, for me personally I would like to see the broadcast improve in 2 aspects. Graphics quality & picture quality. Both will require a little bit of cash. To improve the graphics we need to up our bitrate we transmit. And that is basically doubling the cost of our data to notice a significant improvement. And the graphics is working with UDisc and a good graphics designer to work some things out. And I am already headed down that path.
What does it take to make sure live works across any course, instead of having gaps in coverage due to limited signal? Is that a feasible thing?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
What does it take to make sure live works across any course, instead of having gaps in coverage due to limited signal? Is that a feasible thing?
I've put a lot of thought into this. You need one of 2 things.
1. Wiring camera drops to different parts of the course. The problem with this is running thousands of feet of cable to locations. Not only is it expensive, but getting that cable to the course.

2. Wireless transmitters. This is difficult because most reasonable priced ones require a line of site. Which does no one any good at most of our best wooded courses. Wireless doesn't travel thru trees very well. So you would need to elevate the transmitter and receiver above the treeline. To do all of this at a public park would require a few additional days of work, then you probably need to have security to protect your equipment from theft during the day and overnight. And possibly permits to erect all this stuff.

So right now, for all intensive purposes cellular is our most reasonable option. The expansive nature of our sport is also what is holding us back.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Agree, and this is where I believe this new ownership/management team can help. There have been many posts on these boards that some things are 'cost prohibitive', and I get that. I don't know the numbers, but Jomez, CCDG, Smashboxx, et. al. have to have cost limits. This new team might can get some things 'over the hump'. And that will lead to more incoming revenue.

One thing I didn't see discussed in this thread, though I may have missed it, and I've seen it in other threads: some comments that the disc makers (Discraft, Innova, et. al.) are getting tired of sponsoring literally everything. Related to my first paragraph, I understand that sometimes these companies are paying for some of the media folks to get to a site to film it, etc. This new team might can help ease the cost burdens of those manufacturing sponsors, who then can advertise more on the media broadcasts/webcasts, bringing in more revenue. Might be six of one, half dozen of the other, but it'll all come out in the wash.