Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 345 Times in 124 Posts

All this “just look harder, never leave a man behind” stuff is fine if you play park golf. But out in the woods where the disc fairies will hide them on you sometimes the only way they get found is by someone else looking. Just the way it is.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

People hit me up all the time for discs I've lost. Never got on of them back. Usually give them to the person, or like with this last truth I lost, I haven't even bothered to reply. Area code on the text was from Illinois. I'm not gonna be a pain in the ass for a used Lucid Truth.

I've gotten better about inking only the rim. Don't care about resale value. I've even got txts on numbers off of discs I've actually PIASed, just told the person that hey, it's your Buzzz now, if whoever bought it from PIAS couldn't be assed to put their number on it and left mine, oh well.
This is a fun necropost though. Love how it was new guy's bringing it up and commenting. Maybe somebody can revive the "Do you call numbers on discs" thread too....
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts

Lol...I lose discs. I never find discs. I decided decades ago that if I found a disc with ink I would leave it because I know I have no follow through and won't ever get the disc back to whoever lost it. I've never actually had to put that into practice since I never find discs.

If I had a good eye for other people's discs, maybe I wouldn't lose so many of my own.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,004 Times in 556 Posts

I've got my face, pdga number, name, phone, emergency contact, and astrological sign stamped on the bottom of my disc. Takes a special kind of *******, to be able to find and bag that disc.

I've only had a few lost ones not come back to me, and have only caught one guy who ended up with 3 of them (angered a bee hive and I was going to go back in the evening when they had calmed down). Tracked him down, since he was the only one on the course that day, and got the sheepish, "sorry, didn't think you wanted them..." That guy doesn't play my home course anymore.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2019, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts

Next time you are looking for disc, look until you really feel like you can't look anymore, or can't waste any more time. Then loudly say "F*** IT! It's gone, I'm done!"

But then keep looking for like 30s and you or someone else will find it.

This is how you fool the disc gnomes into giving you your disc back.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,936 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas187 View Post
Maybe somebody can revive the "Do you call numbers on discs" thread too....
I'm pretty sure Apoth got them all locked...
Old 08-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 325
Niced 221 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Here is my logic. You find a disc with a number or other means of contact, you contact that person. If you don’t, you are a dick. Plain and simple. If you find someone’s wallet on the street do you think you are just entitled to it? Do you not contact the wallets owner? Furthermore in lots of places having that wallet is possession of stolen goods.

Again, call on found discs. Could be the owner is coming back for it, could be it fell out of their bag and they didn’t notice right away. Any way you slice it, calling is the right thing to do.
Using your logic, to what extent are you going to return a wallet? What if there’s no phone number? Are you walking into said person’s bank (assuming they have an ATM card) and hand it over? Or you just holding on to it? Or if you don’t exhaust every option, you’re a dick too?

The people who get bent out of shape over a lost disc and/or spend 3 hours searching are a type that I don’t understand. The other half don’t sweat the small stuff.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Using your logic, to what extent are you going to return a wallet? What if there’s no phone number? Are you walking into said person’s bank (assuming they have an ATM card) and hand it over? Or you just holding on to it? Or if you don’t exhaust every option, you’re a dick too?

The people who get bent out of shape over a lost disc and/or spend 3 hours searching are a type that I don’t understand. The other half don’t sweat the small stuff.
You mail it to the address on the license or yeah, drop it off at a bank branch. Or just leave it where you found it.

I get irritated if I lose a disc I really like. I get real irritated if I catch someone throwing it later and didn’t get a call. I really don’t think a quick call or text is unreasonable.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 726 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Here is my logic. You find a disc with a number or other means of contact, you contact that person. If you don’t, you are a dick. Plain and simple. If you find someone’s wallet on the street do you think you are just entitled to it? Do you not contact the wallets owner? Furthermore in lots of places having that wallet is possession of stolen goods.

Again, call on found discs. Could be the owner is coming back for it, could be it fell out of their bag and they didn’t notice right away. Any way you slice it, calling is the right thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
If you won’t, I will. In the day and age of cell phones if you don’t at least shoot a text saying “it’s at the dugout/under the trash can/etc” you’re a dick.
I just love this logic where supposedly...

1. Everyone carries a cell phone on the course.
2. Uses text messages regularly.
3. That cell phones and cell service never malfunction and the recipient of said text will see said text and be able to reply in a timely manner.
4. For the incidental act of finding someone's disc with a phone number (not necessarily taking it) that person is now morally obligated to get the disc back to the person who lost it.
5. That if finder follows through on notifying the owner, that the owner won't be a pain in the ass in getting it's return arranged.
6. That somehow a piece of sports equipment that costs less than $20 is effectively the same importance as a wallet that contains money, bank cards and personal information.

You know back in the old days of these threads, I would be appalled at how some people would shamelessly pronounce "finders keepers", even going so far to tell them about lost, mislaid or abandoned property laws, that pretty much every state has on statute.

But boy anymore, some of you who lose your discs seem to have the same douchey sense of entitlement in getting them back, so honestly, if there's not a convenient means for me to get it back to you like an on course drop box or disc store I can take them to nearby, I'm leaving the damned thing where I found it. The next finder can deal with that conundrum. If you want to call me a dick for that, oh well. I'm not the one who put it there for me to find.

Niced: (3)

Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,425 Times in 477 Posts

This thread....

Niced: (2)