Old 08-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Dodge should have hired Jeff Spring to be the face/voice of the DGPT and let Dodge handle the biz behind the scenes.
Looks like it's working out correctly now: Dodge is no longer a part of the business at all.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 95 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
And it won't come out of no where and be good. It takes time and development and we are seeing that happen in front of us. I seriously don't understand criticizing the push by Steve for trying to get things like live coverage up to his vision instead of a bit of praise and to think I wonder how long until we get live coverage? Things need a starting point and time. ****ting on the guy that pushes to get stuff rolling and developed because the initial quality isn't up to the level of something like a major broadcast sports network is silly.

not really following your post. i think most of us have separated what Steve attempted with live and what is consistently put forward by Smashboxx.

yes, it has taken time and development. we have seen Smashboxx live coverage evolve.

however, if people continue to be overly sensitive regarding criticism, it will lead to counter-productivity and non-development.

fact: live disc golf is not perfect.
fact: live disc golf can be improved.
fact: no one is saying that live disc golf should be at the quality level that major broadcast networks produce at. especially regarding picture quality.

however, i do not feel it is off-base to say that improvements can be made regarding run-time, production, and logistics. there are many ways to improve these aspects, which IMO, will add more value to the live product than improving stream or picture quality.

i do not feel it is off-base to say that current technology is a limiting barrier and improvements to technology and technological access can and will benefit the quality of the product in the long term.

like Jeff said: let's work smarter, not harder. there is more fragmentation in DG media this year, and inefficiencies exist in all areas of disc golf media production.

let's stop being defensive. let's team-up collectively for the sake of timely innovation and advancement.

Last edited by mmblink86; 08-31-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 244 Times in 125 Posts

now that i realize that some of the people doing the work are in this thread, please allow me to back pedal

i don't enjoy the live product but thank you all for your effort and hard work. we have to start somewhere and you are getting the ball rolling.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Courses Played: 32
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Curious about their plans to try attract major crowds outside regulars to view/spectate discgolf.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 221 Times in 104 Posts

First I said blimps....then it was drones with laser optically transmitted gigaband....now im thinking AI managed entangled qubits...quantum entanglement eliminates the lines of sight and wooded remote location problem and having AI manage it just frees everyone to up to......Lets Watch Some Disc Golf!
Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,774 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
now that i realize that some of the people doing the work are in this thread, please allow me to back pedal

i don't enjoy the live product but thank you all for your effort and hard work. we have to start somewhere and you are getting the ball rolling.
Thanks. Honestly, I am ok with that. I can totally understand someone not being a fan of the live broadcast. Truly. I have thought a lot about this, and to me, our live broadcast is a LOT like a baseball broadcast. It is about 3.5 hours long, you can only film when there is action. We just need to find creative ways to fill time when there is downtime.

We can improve a few ways.
1. Hire someone to create nice filler material.
2. Hire additional cameramen for the broadcast to fill time with extra shots.

Both obviously require money. And right now the broadcast is paid for by sponsors. It was mentioned earlier about dynamic 3rd party ads. If you showed 36 ads (2 per hole) and you got an average of about $15 CPM (CPM is basically cost per 1000 viewers). That would make about $1600 per round. Assuming we are at about 3000 viewers. That isn't bad. But one of the main complaints that we have is that we show too many commercials. So we would have to cut that down in order to show more golf. Or, we try to put them in bigger chunks and miss some action.

Just food for thought. Not sure where to go from here. Lots of ideas and people to bounce them off of.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:55 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,543 Times in 698 Posts

Does the CPM change if the ads are shown in some percentage of the screen while live action is showing? Seems like that's how soccer dealt with the getting ads shown during constant action.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:07 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Whoa, didn't see that coming.

FYI, this is the BILLIONAIRE Todd Rainwater. Holy smokes. Disc golf's been asking for a big time investor. Well, this is pretty big folks. Google him. It's that Todd Rainwater, son of Richard Rainwater.
That hopefully does not mean we end up with Pay per view Disc golf.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Jomez back in the picture for DGPT (or I assume so based on their reaction)!
More permanently for them and CCDG to be filming the tour this next year. Who will do the live coverage? is all that needs to be hashed out.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,774 Times in 422 Posts

I have no idea if Jomez will be back or not. According to the DGPT they are opening up an RFP for post production coverage. So that could mean that CCDG, Gatekeeper, GK Pro, etc gets the nod depending on what they are offering. I have a lot of faith in the new direction of the DGPT.