Old 09-03-2019, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,425 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm curious if any of the media teams have figured out if there's any course fatigue where viewership has gone down in the following year(s) on a course even if the groups playing them continue to be top rated.
If Vegas wasn't early, those numbers would definitely drop.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts

Hornet's Nest

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

Full disclosure.. I personally was not part of anything related to hiring of jomez for the VPO. It was just discussed in a public group that I am part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Serious question-
Can you lay out the argument for the event getting a cut of the ad revenue by default?
No, plus that would be a hassle to deal with. Otherwise it depends on the negotiations and who ends up owning the rights to the resulting media. Based on comments, discussions in the last year or so, it seemed like disc golf media producers were charging to cover events and assuming they were the legal owners of the resulting media and could monetize the media anyway they see fit.

I totally understand for small tournaments where the TD wants a video archive of the tournament, they should pay a media crew to come out and film it. I would hope moving forward, negotiations now go something like this:

For $xxx we come out and film the event.
For an additional $xxx you own all rights to the media, otherwise we own the rights and can monetize the media as we see fit.

For larger events it makes sense for the coverage to go to the highest bidder(s). And in that case there should be no revenue split due to the financial risk being taken by the media producer.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Niced 244 Times in 125 Posts

so...

they did basically what you suggest they should and you agree that there's no argument the event ought to automatically get a cut of ad revenue and apparently they offered a great rate of 2k compared to 10k

so why are you mad again?

Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 363 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Hornet's Nest
I like the new owner and tour director already. Saved us from having to watch emporia courses twice this year!

Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
so...

they did basically what you suggest they should and you agree that there's no argument the event ought to automatically get a cut of ad revenue and apparently they offered a great rate of 2k compared to 10k

so why are you mad again?
Didn't say I was "mad" I said the idea of paying for a product, not owning the result, and then on top they also get additional ad revenue, leaved a bad taste in my mouth. If things worked out differently behind the scenes, so be it, but that was the perceived public perception of the deal at the time, and not just at VPO from various discussions I was privy to.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Niced 244 Times in 125 Posts

no offense but it sounds like you weren't privy to much other than a bunch of locals grumbling about having to pony up cash for a service (typical disc golfers)

also... sounds like the crux of the issue is that you and/or the group think they're buying a product and while Jomez is really selling a service. Jomez owns their product and if i were them i wouldn't do it any other way, especially not for some A tier in TX.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 505 Times in 233 Posts

From a TD perspective, having big name pros at your event means you can justify higher event fees, advertising fees, and it's easier to recruit volunteers. Might well be worth $2K, $10K would probably be a stretch.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 216 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
That isn't bad. But one of the main complaints that we have is that we show too many commercials. So we would have to cut that down in order to show more golf. Or, we try to put them in bigger chunks and miss some action.
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't watch the PGA in years. However they don't show every single shot of one card do they? Sure, they may follow a main card primarily, sprinkling in other shots, but if they miss mundane upshots, tap in puts, etc, they don't care, be that they happened during commercial break or while showing a different card. Now, they always have a camera rolling, and if something significant happens we get a "Moments Ago" replay.

Post produced can still be there to watch every single shot, live needs to tell the relevant story. An extra crew or two that can bounce around the course I think would be more valuable to the product than more produced "filler" content.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't watch the PGA in years. However they don't show every single shot of one card do they? Sure, they may follow a main card primarily, sprinkling in other shots, but if they miss mundane upshots, tap in puts, etc, they don't care, be that they happened during commercial break or while showing a different card. Now, they always have a camera rolling, and if something significant happens we get a "Moments Ago" replay.

Post produced can still be there to watch every single shot, live needs to tell the relevant story. An extra crew or two that can bounce around the course I think would be more valuable to the product than more produced "filler" content.
It would also be significantly more expensive. With what we see now, I imagine costs vs benefits is a delicate balance. Adding significantly more cost without assurances of more benefit (more value = more revenue) is a risky proposition.

Personally, I think a significant step forward from where we are now will require a big leap of faith that the ends will justify the means. To this point, it's been the media guys doing all the leaping. Somewhere along the line, I think the viewers are going to have to make a leap (financially) and trust that the media teams will do well with the added funding. Yes, I'm talking about some sort of pay per view model.

If we're not willing to do that, than all we're going to get is the same incremental changes we've seen the last few years...meaning sustained multi-card live coverage is still a LONGGGGGGGGGGG way down the road.