Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
(If a man could transition into an older man, and play in an age-protected division despite his birthdate, it would be slightly similar).
I got to meet you when I played Stoney Hill, and you and I both have already transitioned into older men!!! (my attempt at humor). but I get what you are saying....
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,310 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The protected divisions exist because biological realities reduce the average skill level of those groups, as well as the ceiling. This applies to both age- and gender-protected divisions, though the ceiling might at 40+ may be disputable.

I should have said that protected divisions exist in part because....

There are social and practical reasons for both age- and gender-protected divisions, as well.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 157 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky Yutz View Post
I have followed this thread from the beginning, and I usually stay out of these types of threads....

What I was wondering was (as it pertains to disc golf only): Are there any persons naturally born female, that have transitioned to male, and now play in the MPO, MA40, or any male division....AND are there then inherent disadvantages, due to all the same reasons given for being an advantage in the male to female transitioning person???

Does that even make sense?? In other words, is the OPPOSITE true also, for the same reasons.

Would the same arguments be made?
Would MPO players have a problem with that ?
First of all, any person is always allowed to play in Mxxx divisions.
In this particular case, a transgender man, aka "Female to Male" transgender man that would want to be reclassified for disc golf would normally be taking testosterone. Whereas transgender women have to meet requirements (in this case, testosterone below 10nmol/l, for 22+ months, uninterruptedly), transgender men do not have any requirements to meet.
They would "simply" ask to be reclassified, and with that, lose the ability to play in gender-protected divisions.
That transgender man is most likely going to be taking hormone replacement therapy (in this case, adding testosterone), and would start "building" the same advantages that transgender women are "tearing down".

This would mean in the transgender man's case (aside from surgical procedures like mastectomy, hysterectomy, metoidioplasty/phalloplasty) would start becoming male; muscle mass starts to develop in male patterns, stamina and explosivity start improving, and if the person is (pre)pubescent, bone structure could become (slightly) more masculine.

And not important for disc golf, but oh so important to the transgender man, male facial and body hair patterns start developing, male pattern baldness starts, voice deepens, etc..

Are any female to male disc golfers active? Possibly.
Would your cisgender men have an issue with a transgender man playing in 'their' division? I would hope not.

I'll state it again, but the very very vast majority of negativity I experienced during these last 5.5 weeks came from men.
It was actually the women who typically were between 'tolerating me' or 'accepting me'. I am not saying all women accepted me, but whereas I would say that about 95% of the men chiming in were yelling "unfair", "man", "advantage", only about 5-10% of the women who spoke up were.
So, by looking at it from the "those who would potentially have their lunch money stolen are expected to yell loudest" angle, the women seem to NOT react in that way, yet the men do.

Somehow, I think that toxic masculinity has something to do with this, but I haven't quite figured out exactly how.
My most avid and staunch 'attacker' (easily 200 messages by this one person) claimed (after about 100 messages) to be talking on behalf of his wife, but said wife has not spoken up in a negative manner to anyone I know (we actually have a few mutual friends)

And following the popular belief that "women are weaker than men" (only if you look at non-existent average men and women), then the men (who profess above statement most avidly), they would quite probably be "ah, whatever, so this transgender dude thinks he can beat us? He can't even break 350ft".
I'd like to see the WTF look on their faces when the added testosterone makes that person throw 400+ drives

Last edited by gingerandhoney; 09-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisugawa View Post
Slight correction.

You are referring to transgender women here, not all transgender people, correct? Transgender men would be undergoing testosterone therapy and whatever the equivalent surgeries are for them, to gain a performance-enhancing intervention. Performance-leveling may be a better word for it.

Regardless, while I know your intent was to address your side of the situation, it doesn't apply equally across both halves of the spectrum.
Thank you for pointing that out. I was indeed referring to transgender women, not transgender people/men. Sleep deprivation induced brainfreeze.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:26 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 133
Niced 739 Times in 390 Posts

so, a transgender man could stay classified in a female protected division until they ask to be reclassified?

is that the case or..?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill View Post
so, a transgender man could stay classified in a female protected division until they ask to be reclassified?

is that the case or..?
COULD? No!
DO? Possibly.

Abusers of the system are going to be present in ANY system.
In defense of anyone transgender, I would argue that, whilst they ALREADY know they're being seen as inherently dishonest/cheating by the vast (ignorant) majority, they would make sure to be as 'in regulation' as possible.
The only exception to that statement would be transgender people who, as it's called, "go stealth".

It's as gray an area as with transgender women who (whilst technically meeting the requirements) have not actually applied for gender-reclassification, yet compete in gender-protected divisions.

Technically speaking either person, the transman still playing in gender-protected whilst taking hormones, and the transwoman playing in gender-protected whilst not having requested gender-reclassification, would be doing competing outside the scope of the rules, and as such be susceptible to punishment.

But it's also as gray as the non-member who is 'only 48' but already plays in MA50.
Or a non-member who consistently plays 940 rounds, signs up for MA3

And I am fairly certain that the incidence of THAT happening is vastly higher than the scenario set forth by you.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:49 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 133
Niced 739 Times in 390 Posts

if a player in a female protected division is a transgender male, that person would be "enhancing" with testosterone. Maybe that is just seen as juicing and is against the rules that way.

I doubt there is even one actual case of this...more just a theoretical question.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,241 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:

is that the case or..?
No.

It's spelled out in black and white in the policy on eligibility for gender-protected divisions. The instant he begins taking hormone therapy for transition from female to male, he is ineligible to compete in the gender-protected divisions.

Quote:
Players who were assigned female gender under the criteria detailed above and who are taking hormone treatments to increase testosterone levels are no longer eligible to compete in gender protected divisions.
https://www.pdga.com/medical/gender-...ibility-policy

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Par Member

Quote:
if a player in a female protected division is a transgender male, that person would be "enhancing" with testosterone. Maybe that is just seen as juicing and is against the rules that way.

I doubt there is even one actual case of this...more just a theoretical question.
correct. In that moment it would be considered using doping. The PDGA do not officially have an anti-doping policy yet, but that doesn't make the player more eligible to do so at their behest.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 177
Niced 38 Times in 26 Posts

why do people care about amateur titles?