Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Roswell Roswell is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb I need a longer throwing ESP Mantis

That's for reading the thread =)

I have been moving away from super overstable stuff, realizing I dont need destroyer or anything that speed distance on most of my local courses. I have come to LOVE my Discraft ESP mantis. It's so straight. And also great for turning shots.

So my question to the community is:
Does anyone know of another disc like this, but maybe more towards the speed 10 area of disc?

Infinite discs says its a 8/4/-2/2
I think it's probably closer to a -2/1 on the turn and fade. At least in the Innova form of measurement, considering that's what I throw.


Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Emoney's Avatar
Emoney Emoney is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,974
Niced 250 Times in 143 Posts
Default

My mantis remind me of a slower Sidewinder. The champ ones i used to throw had more OS than the numbers suggest.
Discraft. I would say grab a First Run Z Vulture. Those came out flat with more turn. Still plenty available.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:35 AM
Titan037's Avatar
Titan037 Titan037 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 3,104
Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
That's for reading the thread =)

I have been moving away from super overstable stuff, realizing I dont need destroyer or anything that speed distance on most of my local courses. I have come to LOVE my Discraft ESP mantis. It's so straight. And also great for turning shots.

So my question to the community is:
Does anyone know of another disc like this, but maybe more towards the speed 10 area of disc?

Infinite discs says its a 8/4/-2/2
I think it's probably closer to a -2/1 on the turn and fade. At least in the Innova form of measurement, considering that's what I throw.


Thank you.
You have to remember as you go up in speed, if you aren’t able to throw that actual speed rating the disc will act more stable than its numbers, that said. I would say try a heavy Z heat to try to get the extra stability you will need to match the flight of the mantis or go with an avenger ss, a tick faster than the heat. If you think you can get a speed 10 up to speed then a vulture would probably be your best bet as the previous comment mentioned.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2019, 07:02 AM
mmblink86 mmblink86 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 24
Posts: 255
Niced 98 Times in 49 Posts
Default

you may find what you seek in a nice max wt. X Mantis. they bomb.

for longer straight shots above the Mantis in speed, i grab a Wraith or Crank. try a domey max wt. DX Wraith or X Crank.

i know you weren't looking for that speed class, but it seems you primarily stick to premium plastics. do not discount wider rimmed discs, you can achieve straight flights with them.

Last edited by mmblink86; 09-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Roswell Roswell is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
You have to remember as you go up in speed, if you aren’t able to throw that actual speed rating the disc will act more stable than its numbers, that said. I would say try a heavy Z heat to try to get the extra stability you will need to match the flight of the mantis or go with an avenger ss, a tick faster than the heat. If you think you can get a speed 10 up to speed then a vulture would probably be your best bet as the previous comment mentioned.
I am sure I can get that 10 speed in a throw. My go to bomber is a katana and I can get a full flight out of it. But I recently moved to a place with almost exclusively wooded courses. So I wanted to try something more controllable like the mantis. I appriciate the advise. I think I'll try the vulture 👍
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2019, 08:22 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,834
Niced 1,079 Times in 538 Posts
Default

A vulture is a terrible suggestion. They are far too high speed stable and have too much fade to get a similar flight to a mantis. They are only a hyzer flip or turnover type disc for the biggest arms (450'+ power)

Try an ESP Avenger SS. They tend to be a tick more high speed stable than the Z variant. Flight is pretty similar and in the range you're looking for. A Z Heat or Champ sidewinder might also fit in that niche.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by VictorB; 09-06-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2019, 08:37 AM
fishballer06 fishballer06 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: PA
Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Posts: 278
Niced 43 Times in 34 Posts
Default

A 10 speed understable disc? The Beast.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Titan037's Avatar
Titan037 Titan037 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 3,104
Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
A vulture is a terrible suggestion. They are far too high speed stable and have too much fade to get a similar flight to a mantis. They are only a hyzer flip or turnover type disc for the biggest arms (450'+ power)

Try an ESP Avenger SS. They tend to be a tick more high speed stable than the Z variant. Flight is pretty similar and in the range you're looking for. A Z Heat or Champ sidewinder might also fit in that niche.
If he can get a full flight out of a katana, the first run vultures should be perfect for him, they aren’t as high speed stable as the current run and if he got a lower weight esp and beat it in a bit, that may also get him the flight he wants
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Jolt Jolt is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,279
Niced 1,302 Times in 765 Posts
Default

Avenger SS.

the ones i got: ESP most stable, Z Glow most "Mantis like flight" . . and my Z are US, one is very US.

But if you like the ESP Mantis...try an ESP Avenger SS
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 09-06-2019, 11:03 AM
mshelton's Avatar
mshelton mshelton is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 303
Niced 172 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Gold line Saint or try Heats in different plastic to find what suits you are the discs that come to mind for me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Discraft Limited Edition ESP Buzzz GT and Cryztal Sparkle Mantis jmgdiscgolf The Marketplace 0 07-15-2016 09:51 PM
X Mantis TheBMeistor Discs 13 10-24-2015 11:31 PM
Pearly Z Crank - Prototype Mantis - Big Stamp Mantis Radwyn The Marketplace 0 03-19-2014 06:40 PM
Courses getting longer and longer chainmonkey Course Design 71 12-02-2009 02:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.