Old 07-30-2019, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,067 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Hey, wait, I thought you were off Challengers... Just go ahead and send me what you got and I'll use those...
Like the Chilean miners emerging from the depths, the challengers have made a triumphant return
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 140
Niced 339 Times in 150 Posts

Still loving my TBs for the fairway driver slot, but feeling like I need something a little faster, between the TBs & Orcs.

Tried an Undertaker for a couple rounds and it worked pretty decent, but I wanted something that was more neutral out of the box. Ordered a few Valkyries (2) star & (1) pro. Interested to see how these do in that slot.

3 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Valkyrie
1 Firebird
3 TeeBird
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
4 Challenger
Old 08-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Eagle Member

Well, now I'm throughly confused

The Valkyries that I got (2 Star, 1 Pro) fly WAY overstable, almost like my Orcs. Not what I was looking for...

Did a little more fieldwork with the Undertakers. I think this is what I'm looking for, but I'm mildly concerned about the crossover between the TBs and Undertakers. This has the opportunity for me to overcomplicate a decision when it "matters".

Also found a Nova. The owner didn't want it back, so I've been playing around with that. Kind of a fun disc, but doesn't really fit into my lineup. If I were to use it, it would be for approaches. My beat in Pro-D Challenger already handles that responsibility well.

For now I'm rolling with

3 Destroyer (2 Star, 1 Pro)
2 Orc (1 Star, 1 Champ)
1 CG Champ Firebird
2 Undertaker (1 ESP, 1 Ti)
3 Star TeeBird
3 Comet (ESP, BigZ, JB)
1 BigZ Drone
2 Zone (1 ESP, 1 BigZ)
3 Challenger (2 RB, 1 Pro-D)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Well, now I'm throughly confused

The Valkyries that I got (2 Star, 1 Pro) fly WAY overstable, almost like my Orcs. Not what I was looking for...

Also found a Nova. The owner didn't want it back, so I've been playing around with that. Kind of a fun disc, but doesn't really fit into my lineup. If I were to use it, it would be for approaches. My beat in Pro-D Challenger already handles that responsibility well.
Some Star Valkyries come out overstable, especially relative to what you might be expecting. I have some fourteen Valkyries (long story as to why), and they run the gamut from Thunderbird-'ish' overstable to Sidewinder-'ish' understable. My 165g Star Valk is the most overstable of them all, even more than the 175g Champ Valks I own. Apparently the run just came out that way. I prefer Pro Valkyries now; at least they can be seasoned in more quickly.

As to the Nova, it's a great disc for warming up and seeing how you're throwing. The Nova is very telling if you're not throwing with good form. When I get wrist rollover, I take my Novas to the range (schoolyard) and work with them until they're flying straight and true. Then the rest of my throws with other discs during that session are much better.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Eagle Member

Sometimes I'm dumb for no good reason....

I've had Escapes in the bag before, and that's really the faster/glidier compliment to the TeeBird I've been looking for. But, I'm not a fan of the DD brand, so I let brand bias prevent me from playing the "best" disc in the slot (for me). This is the slot I was hoping the Valkyrie or Undertaker could fill, but each fell short of my expectations.

3 Destroyer
168 Star Destroyer: OS
170 Pro Destroyer: Neutral
157 Star Destroyer: US
2 Orc
175 Star Orc: Neutral/OS
169 Champ Orc: Neutral/US
Firebird
175 GC Champion FB
2 Escape
173 Lucid Escape: Stable
169 Fuzion Escape: Neutral/US
2 TeeBird
172 Star TeeBird: Neutral/OS
152 Star TeeBird: Neutral/US
Tweener
173 Z Stalker
3 Comet
177 ESP Comet: Stable
177 BigZ Comet: Neutral/US
177 JB Comet: US
2 Stable Mids
179 400G MX3
177 BigZ Drone
Inside 250'
172 ESP Zone
173 Pro-D Challenger
174 RB Challenger (X2)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Eagle Member

Despite my general 'meh' attitude towards carts, I recently picked up a zuca compact with accumulated vouchers. The thought is that it's lighter, more maneuverable, & holds the max capacity I'd likely ever need. Time will tell if I like it more than the bag. I do like the idea of having a seat at all times...
3 Destroyer
3 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
1 Nova
4 Challenger (2X putting & 2X approach)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,249 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Despite my general 'meh' attitude towards carts, I recently picked up a zuca compact with accumulated vouchers. The thought is that it's lighter, more maneuverable, & holds the max capacity I'd likely ever need. Time will tell if I like it more than the bag. I do like the idea of having a seat at all times...
3 Destroyer
3 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
1 Nova
I like having a cart, but I went to Bluebird today and was really glad I was using the bag. The cart has its time and place, though.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
3 Destroyer
3 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
1 Nova
Is that Drone still the superbeat one? I was going to ask if you had a hole between the Comet and Drone but then I read in your open post that the Drone was thrashed, which would answer that question.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I like having a cart, but I went to Bluebird today and was really glad I was using the bag. The cart has its time and place, though.
Ok, so the compact cart is nice. I like it more than the backpack cart I was previously using. It is smaller and easier to maneuver/pick up to get over obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Is that Drone still the superbeat one? I was going to ask if you had a hole between the Comet and Drone but then I read in your open post that the Drone was thrashed, which would answer that question.
I have a BigZ Drone in there bag now, and it is a little more stable than the thrashed old ESP. That said, I rarely use it unless it is kind of a utility shot
RHFH between zone & FB
RHBH prefer over zone for this shot, but typically just throw a putter.

I tried a new Prodigy MX3 between the Comet & Drone, but I didn't really click with it. Considering trying McBeth's new mid when that comes out, but I go back and forth on whether I really need a mid-stability midrange. The Comet & Stalker handle most of my midrange needs. Anything else, I tend to throw a putter...

Last edited by Golden Tuna; 09-11-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Ok, so the compact cart is nice. I like it more than the backpack cart I was previously using. It is smaller and easier to maneuver/pick up to get over obstacles.
Not maneuverable is the biggest problem I have with the cart. I mean other than not being able to fit the damn thing is a car without taking the back wheels off. There are a lot of downsides to the cart. It helps with the back, though. It's a trade-off.

Quote:
I go back and forth on whether I really need a mid-stability midrange. The Comet & Stalker handle most of my midrange needs. Anything else, I tend to throw a putter...
Oh, I see now. The Stalker would range in there. I carry a Sentinel with Comets mostly to have something I can snap off lower and harder than a Comet; I've never really figured out how to get a Comet to work for me on anything other than a high line. I haven't thrown a Stalker but I'd have to guess it's a better disc for a low-line shot. I'm a huge Comet hypocrite since I claim it's a "carry one midrange" kind of disc, but then I always pair it with something because I can't get it to do everything. I think it's mostly user error, though.