Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 334 Times in 120 Posts
Default Glow golf for dummies

Here in northern latitudes, summer leagues will soon give way to glow rounds. Never done it before and have a couple questions.

-is it worthwhile to pick up a glow putter if I’m planning to only putt with it?

-I know about UV flashlights to charge the discs, what do you use to keep from tumbling down a hill and dying in the dark? Headlamp? Red light to preserve night vision?

-which is the best glow plastic for Innova? I don’t want to go without a trusty Thunderbird for glow golf...infinite has them in regular glow and color glow, and I swear I’ve seen glow DX somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 662 Times in 300 Posts

1. No. You can just snag some glow duct tape or the MVP glow vinyls for the putter. Usually dont need much as putters are generally thrown close to the baskets not crushed into the woods. Also helps to be less distracting with just a small piece of tape on it vs LED lights or full glow. I vote glow tape and regular putter.

2. Your eyes will adjust to the darkness pretty quickly. Most glow leagues around here ban lighting devices other than UV light or the small LED lights taped to discs. You can use your UV flashlight in rough terrain areas but most of the time it will be your eyes adjusting and the moon light to guide you through.

3. I would say color glow Champ works pretty good and glow DX works great. The older white champ glow plastic was pretty bad so folks usually taped on LED lights to that stuff. The new color glow seems to charge up nicely. Keep in mind that glow plastic doesnt like the cold much, takes longer to charge and doesnt last as long the colder it gets. Freezing and below I would lean towards taping on LED lights to be safe.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 106
Niced 329 Times in 154 Posts

I prefer the little LEDs that you can get to tape onto your Champion type plastic vs.. glow plastic. Of course, their use might not be allowed depending on league sanctioning?

Otherwise, I’m no help regarding glow plastic. The old DX (I assume) glow Aviars that I have hold a lousy charge for about a minute. They’re old and the glow really isn’t much help.

Edit. Cool confirmation of my old dx glow assessment from “the future” above.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Jimb; 09-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 975 Times in 520 Posts

1 - Yes, it's worth it.
2 - Let your eyes adjust rather than using a flashlight. Don't play courses that are overly dangerous or that you are unfamiliar with.
3 - All Innova glow sucks, as far as how long it glows for. Gateway and Vibram are way, way better.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
-which is the best glow plastic for Innova?
Recent color glow seems pretty good. I picked up a few to support local shops and just put them on a shelf in my office. When I walk into the dark room at night they are glowing, even hours after the sun has set.

Another piece of glow advice I've received is to go down a bump in stability/speed. That way you can throw from a standstill or less than a full run-up/X-step in case footing in the dark is questionable. Might be something like bumping down to a Teebird from a Thunderbird. Adjust more or less as needed.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Great advice, especially Future_Primitive. He taught me most of what I know, of glow. Glow plastic usually has a bit different stability than non glow plastic. Hence, some of the encouragement to go with LED lights or glow tape. I actually have a bag of glow discs, I have no problems with them.

Word to the wise is careful application of tape or lights to your discs. They need to go on room temp plastic and a smart choice of tape is said to help. I will let some of the experts chime in to give the usual advice on this.

Glow is a blast, getting around in the woods is usually not a problem, until someone with a flashlight or headlamp comes along and ruins your night vision.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 53 Times in 24 Posts

In my experience the Discraft Z Glow discs don't glow well at all. I've got a Comet and Buzzz that I can barely see 5 seconds after throwing them and I use a UV light. Innova's glow works very well.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,385 Times in 708 Posts

I hunted for quite some time to build a glow bag of my core molds. Glow duct tape stopped all of that immediately. It glows like Vibram Glow and doesn't add the same wind resistance LEDs do. Grab a roll of tape and a UV flashlight, and you should be set.

Don't be the guy who brings a flashlight for navigation. Get to a dark area, close your eyes for thirty seconds, and you should be able to see just fine. And have fun. I find myself hitting wooded lines I usually struggle with because I can't see the branches to worry about avoiding them.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 46 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
1 - Yes, it's worth it.
2 - Let your eyes adjust rather than using a flashlight. Don't play courses that are overly dangerous or that you are unfamiliar with.
3 - All Innova glow sucks, as far as how long it glows for. Gateway and Vibram are way, way better.
I've got an old glow Element, probably ran like 10 years ago, feels something like star/esp plastic , glows better than any other disc I've ever seen.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 334 Times in 120 Posts

Thanks guys, even for the contradictory advice. It’s all good stuff to consider. Does look like I don’t have to worry about a headlamp tho.