Old 09-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 270
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

LED lights > any glow disc. Period.

3M Scotch 33+ electrical tape > any other tape. Period.

Background, we play a weekly night round in the winter in Minnesota with temps as far at -15F and snow up to a couple feet. Nobody with this setup has lost a disc in several years. The LD only allows LED lights affixed with 33+ tape.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 215 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig639 View Post

3M Scotch 33+ electrical tape > any other tape. Period.

Background, we play a weekly night round in the winter in Minnesota with temps as far at -15F and snow up to a couple feet. Nobody with this setup has lost a disc in several years. The LD only allows LED lights affixed with 33+ tape.
Agreed on the LED lights. About that particular tape, I assume one would use it around the LED light structure but not covering the tiny bulb itself? Or do they make a transparent version of it?

I've always just used regular clear packing tape and have never had a problem. Then again, I'm not playing in -15F.

I will note that I use a lot of the packing tape, and this is underneath the Disc, not on top of it. I DID have a light fall off when I first got into this because I only barely covered the light apparatus. Now I use enough so that the strips of tape go all the way across the underside of the Disc.

I also don't notice any sort of ill effects on the flight of the Disc.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 131
Niced 673 Times in 305 Posts

Agreed on the LEDs being the best way to go in all conditions. Being up north and having to deal with cold and snow part of the year I tape LEDs on my glow discs. Its a must in the snow and makes them real easy to find. I also use packing tape, nylon reinforced, and never had any issues even in the cold and snow.

The key to me, as ru4por stated, apply the tape in room temperature on clean, dry discs for best results. To often I see players show up right before tee off and try to apply tape to their discs in 30 deg weather. Then 1-2 holes later they hit a tree and the light and tape fly right off. I also have a dedicated glow bag so I dont mess with taking tape on/off all the time. After years of playing glow every week it just made sense to build a day bag and a glow bag for me.

As for LEDs, I would probably avoid the MVP tri-lights unless you want to use some Star/DX or ESP/X disc for glow. Those lights are crazy bright and constantly blinking they will distract you trying to throw at night. Prefer the normal red LEDs myself.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 215 Times in 95 Posts

Yep, I have a dedicated night bag too. All champion/Z plastic so the lights shine right through them. I use the bright white ones so that they emit whatever translucent color the plastic is.

I got ten of the LED lights on Etsy for $15.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Nah. Glow is better.

LEDs fall off. LEDs die.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Nah. Glow is better.

LEDs fall off. LEDs die.
You must not play in the snow. Also, lights only fall off if improperly applied

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 106
Niced 223 Times in 105 Posts

The right way to play night golf is to have the most fun. Not having to look for discs is part of that, unless you are really into a challenge. Ensuring all of your playing partners are on the same page also aids in the overall mission. Just get out there and figure out what works best for you, but the key is to get out there and have fun with it.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
You must not play in the snow. Also, lights only fall off if improperly applied
Not in powder, no. But usually snow around here is crunchy and icy except like the first day it falls, so getting buried ain't a big issue. And anyways you can see glow through snow, too.

It's the cold that makes me not like LEDs - no matter how well you tape it on, it's going to fall off after 10, 20 tree smashes in 10 degree weather, unless you re-tape every single round, which is a total pita. So much less work to just grab a UV light.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Not in powder, no. But usually snow around here is crunchy and icy except like the first day it falls, so getting buried ain't a big issue. And anyways you can see glow through snow, too.

It's the cold that makes me not like LEDs - no matter how well you tape it on, it's going to fall off after 10, 20 tree smashes in 10 degree weather, unless you re-tape every single round, which is a total pita. So much less work to just grab a UV light.
Just don't smash trees!
But for real, we remove the lights and batteries after every round. The only time we had a problem last year was the -20 or whatever it got to...the batteries were dimming. The Scotch 33+ didn't fail though!
Also, I'm not a big fan of what UV light does to the eyes. The red LED don't mess up the eyes to the point where you need minutes to adjust back

Old 09-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 48 Times in 31 Posts

I am excited for glow golf. My club does weekly rounds of dubs Tuesday nights. I haven't thrown any of those discs since daylight savings and I am excited to bust them back out. And I have a new esp glo banger to add to the bag.