Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

The tree stump version of #1 they had for the last few years was not a good hole. I will miss #2 as it was one of the more "natural" holes on the course till they added the rope hazard for rollers and the pretzel sticks pillars. #8 is a really good hole. Depends on which layout #9 is for how successful of a hole it is. 10-12 are meh. Always liked #13 and think the teepad change made it less luck based.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 73
Niced 193 Times in 59 Posts

Actually, I forgot about #13...that is a good hole...#8 would be good if it weren't playing along a baseball stadium wall...7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 are holes that keep me from wanting to return to watch USDGC again...especially after just returning from GMC and those beautiful courses and fantastic facility in Vermont...

Niced: (2)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,880 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
“Fellow disc golfers,” lol. You need to evaluate your life if this upsets you enough to call for a boycott of Innova if you are truly from the Carolinas. Hopefully you will not be allowed on the grounds ever again at USDGC due to your entitlement and attitude.
Well said sir!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 269
Niced 60 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
Actually, I forgot about #13...that is a good hole...#8 would be good if it weren't playing along a baseball stadium wall...7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 are holes that keep me from wanting to return to watch USDGC again...especially after just returning from GMC and those beautiful courses and fantastic facility in Vermont...
The course has changed many times over the years and the holes you mention to keep you from returning are most likely never going away although they could be altered like in years past. I heard only #2 was going to go away this year for vendors, food trucks, etc. but it makes sense to move #1 for access to watch #17 tee shots near the green on Saturday due to so many new players attending.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,295 Times in 1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
“Fellow disc golfers,” lol. You need to evaluate your life if this upsets you enough to call for a boycott of Innova if you are truly from the Carolinas. Hopefully you will not be allowed on the grounds ever again at USDGC due to your entitlement and attitude.
In fairness, he did sleep on it, calm down, and backtrack quite a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.
A rare thing in these forums.

In fairness, it was a little ways back, you might have missed it.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 269
Niced 60 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
In fairness, he did sleep on it, calm down, and backtrack quite a bit:

A rare thing in these forums.

In fairness, it was a little ways back, you might have missed it.
Must have consulted his pastor in Rock Hill or taken his meds.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,577 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
Really?

I believe that the good holes at USDGC after spectating last year are holes 1-6 and 15-18. I find 7-14 to be sub par holes to watch and aesthetically a nightmare. So, they are going to eliminate two of the more traditional holes with actual trees and replace them with at least one more wide open hole (the new hole created from 11/12 will be that way) or maybe both will be wide open.

Doesn't sound like an improvement.
I think we have to bear in mind that this is not a disc golf only facility. There may be extenuating circumstances entirely independent of disc golf that has prompted the changes this year.

And really, we need to get over the aesthetics thing. Until we have the money to create and modify our own courses that aren't on someone else's land, aesthetics have to take a back seat to functionality and access.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 672 Times in 366 Posts

Parking lot holes are by default not good holes. Although 888 (or whatever the number these days) always creates good drama.

Come to think of it. I think only like 50% of USDGC are "good holes". But 100% are legendary. If I could play any course right now, Winthrop Gold would be it. Just because I've seen it sooooo many times on video. There are other courses in the US that I've also seen several times on video that are likely much better courses, but Winthrop Gold would always be the first pick.

Getting to play the Beast and Järva the first times were just like that. Like stepping into the videos. Played horribly mostly of course but enjoyed every minute.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Parking lot holes are by default not good holes. Although 888 (or whatever the number these days) always creates good drama.

Come to think of it. I think only like 50% of USDGC are "good holes". But 100% are legendary. If I could play any course right now, Winthrop Gold would be it. Just because I've seen it sooooo many times on video. There are other courses in the US that I've also seen several times on video that are likely much better courses, but Winthrop Gold would always be the first pick.

Getting to play the Beast and Järva the first times were just like that. Like stepping into the videos. Played horribly mostly of course but enjoyed every minute.
Winthrop in full dress is a ton of fun. In it's normal conditions is pretty boring IMO. I live 40 minutes away and will travel 2-3 hrs for a single day of good DG and don't go down to Rock Hill unless it's in USDGC condition.

IMO only of a few of the holes are bad holes. New #1 was a bad hole. 2-8 were/are challenging but fair in a Winthrop Gold kinda way. #9 with the multiple islands is meh, other configurations prior were good holes. 10-14 are not my kind of golf but they challenge and are fair. The green on #15 is dumb and the triple mando seems unnecessary (could just have mando keeping people from sawing off the corner). The rest of the course is pretty well designed.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 955 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Parking lot holes are by default not good holes.
Normally I would agree, but it really only comes into play on 888, and it's blocked off in that section during play.