Old 09-18-2019, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts

Parking lot holes may be unsightly, but they are 100% relatable.
We've all seen those imaginary lakes and island greens ruthlessly gobble up our discs, only to have them politely returned with just a bit of rash to prove we were there.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-18-2019, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
Actually, I forgot about #13...that is a good hole...#8 would be good if it weren't playing along a baseball stadium wall...7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 are holes that keep me from wanting to return to watch USDGC again...especially after just returning from GMC and those beautiful courses and fantastic facility in Vermont...
I mean, comparing a 20-year old temporary course to a facility that was renovated and expanded as recently as last year is putting unrealistic expectations on Winthrop IMO.

Is Winthrop a picturesque course? Not really, but it's not horrible. Is the scoring separation "natural"? No, but who said it has to be? I don't understand (generally) why an artificial requirement for "natural" obstacles is applied in course comparisons, and arbitrarily so oftentimes from my POV.

I think the narrative that "real disc golf courses are a hike in the woods" is BS personally. If the challenge is valid, who cares? It certainly doesn't stop people from accepting the invitation they get every year, which to me is the real metric you have to watch.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

IMO, Winthrop way more fun to play (as a MA2 skilled player) than Fox Run.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 951 Times in 416 Posts

I don't like a lot of ropes and artificial stuff, but actually like Winthrop Gold.

1 - Great hole. To force a player to hit that gap right out of the gate when the nerves are going is tricky.
2 - Great hole. The wall at the pin is not good, but the rest of the hole is really well designed.
3 - Fantastic par 3.
4 - Underrated hole. Tee shot has to be absolutely perfect to have a chance at a very hard second shot.
5 - Incredible hole.
6 - I think the tee needs to be moved back on a deck like 18 over the water. In the past, this was a great hole because it took so much power to get there going wide and so much control getting there down the middle. As discs have gotten so fast, it's just a cake hyzer (I throw 400 max and I can get there with a hyzer). The concept of the hole is really solid, just needs a little updating to get with the current speed of discs.
7 - I don't like the hole, but do we really want a 270 foot wide open hole in a major?
8 - Lost a little luster with trees down, but the second shot is so hard. Really good hole.
9 - Never liked 9 and it doesn't matter how the OB runs, it's just not fun to throw behind a scoreboard.
10 - I think you should mark OB to avoid the 100 foot putter shot to the drop zone for a wide open 330 foot shot, but other that that, it's a fantastic hole.
11 - Best designed hole on the course. People underestimate how hard both of those shots are.
12 - Really solid hole. Tee shot is kinda boring, but it makes people go big, which is what the hole needs.
13 - I don't like the new tee or the new rules, but there's a reason this hole is one you remember. If you took away the parking lots and thought of them as water, it would be the most photographed hole on the course.
14 - A really fun hole that takes so much precision.
15 - Worst hole on the course. IMHO, it should be a 400 foot par 3 dead straight.
16 - This hole has also lost it's bite with disc technology but it's such a skillful shot, I'm glad it's never changed.
17 - See my comments on 7...
18 - An incredible finishing hole. People underestimate how uphill it is and how much control is needed on the tee shot to not cut roll down the hill.

This is fantastic course.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,252 Times in 854 Posts

I mean complaining about Winthrop Gold is an annual event. People want disc golf to be a big deal thing with our premier event being played on the disc golf equivalent of Augusta or Pebble Beach, but instead it's held on a temporary course that is designed in a way that could never be a permanent disc golf course. I think it's the basic idea of playing the premier event of the year on a temp course with artificial barriers that bothers people, the actual challenge of the course I don't think can be debated.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 35 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I don't like a lot of ropes and artificial stuff, but actually like Winthrop Gold.

1 - Great hole. To force a player to hit that gap right out of the gate when the nerves are going is tricky.
2 - Great hole. The wall at the pin is not good, but the rest of the hole is really well designed.
3 - Fantastic par 3.
4 - Underrated hole. Tee shot has to be absolutely perfect to have a chance at a very hard second shot.
5 - Incredible hole.
6 - I think the tee needs to be moved back on a deck like 18 over the water. In the past, this was a great hole because it took so much power to get there going wide and so much control getting there down the middle. As discs have gotten so fast, it's just a cake hyzer (I throw 400 max and I can get there with a hyzer). The concept of the hole is really solid, just needs a little updating to get with the current speed of discs.
7 - I don't like the hole, but do we really want a 270 foot wide open hole in a major?
8 - Lost a little luster with trees down, but the second shot is so hard. Really good hole.
9 - Never liked 9 and it doesn't matter how the OB runs, it's just not fun to throw behind a scoreboard.
10 - I think you should mark OB to avoid the 100 foot putter shot to the drop zone for a wide open 330 foot shot, but other that that, it's a fantastic hole.
11 - Best designed hole on the course. People underestimate how hard both of those shots are.
12 - Really solid hole. Tee shot is kinda boring, but it makes people go big, which is what the hole needs.
13 - I don't like the new tee or the new rules, but there's a reason this hole is one you remember. If you took away the parking lots and thought of them as water, it would be the most photographed hole on the course.
14 - A really fun hole that takes so much precision.
15 - Worst hole on the course. IMHO, it should be a 400 foot par 3 dead straight.
16 - This hole has also lost it's bite with disc technology but it's such a skillful shot, I'm glad it's never changed.
17 - See my comments on 7...
18 - An incredible finishing hole. People underestimate how uphill it is and how much control is needed on the tee shot to not cut roll down the hill.

This is fantastic course.
I like this mostly. I don't think comparing 17 to 7 is fair. I love watching hole 17. You can see what this hole does mentally to our top competitors.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean complaining about Winthrop Gold is an annual event. People want disc golf to be a big deal thing with our premier event being played on the disc golf equivalent of Augusta or Pebble Beach, but instead it's held on a temporary course that is designed in a way that could never be a permanent disc golf course. I think it's the basic idea of playing the premier event of the year on a temp course with artificial barriers that bothers people, the actual challenge of the course I don't think can be debated.
Also the Great Lakes open Course used for the Biggest $$ cash payout in disc golf for the Great Lakes Open in Peoria is also a temp course with a bunch of artificial out of bounds and one artificial barrier. the toughness of the course can not be overstated but the plot of land some holes will not make for a permanent course in that area. I hope they use the other course used for worlds as the second day of tournament before getting back to the main course.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,555 Times in 1,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Also the Great Lakes open Course used for the Biggest $$ cash payout in disc golf for the Great Lakes Open in Peoria is also a temp course with a bunch of artificial out of bounds and one artificial barrier. the toughness of the course can not be overstated but the plot of land some holes will not make for a permanent course in that area. I hope they use the other course used for worlds as the second day of tournament before getting back to the main course.
You mean the LEDGESTONE OPEN.

Great Lakes Open is in Michigan and played on the Tobaggan (home of the USADGC and used for Worlds in 2000). Totally different style of course compared to Eureka Lake (or Winthrop Gold).

Old 09-18-2019, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,175 Times in 2,219 Posts

That has to be one of the mod's alt accounts. There is no other reason why he's still allowed to post his obvious bull****

Old 09-18-2019, 07:55 PM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 220
Niced 50 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
It certainly doesn't stop people from accepting the invitation they get every year, which to me is the real metric you have to watch.
'Sup.