Old 09-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 161 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
One of the most painful things I did while I was already in the sling, was trying to catch something that was falling off a counter instinctively with my broken arm.
This... happened a couple days ago. I was casually playing Kan-Jam and afterwards, we were just playing catch and someone distracted me and the guy throwing to me was like "hey watch out" and I instinctively went to block with both hands and... this was far more painful than anything thus far (including the original fall). And now I have a lovely black and yellow bruise. But yeah, that whole reflex thing
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 152
Niced 579 Times in 248 Posts

There's a member here that might have some advice for you--I'm trying to remember his name again. Oh yeah, Broken Shoulder!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Must make it difficult to throw and drink a beer at the same time?

First, your doc will tell you what kind of motions you're allowed. I just recovered from a broken leg. I told the doctor exactly what I wanted to do and how. He set limits and told me when I could progress. Was really good about it too. Bone docs often have a connection to sport and they understand wanting to play. Second, follow his advice on play and working the bone to heal properly. If you do that, you will heal way way faster.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 219 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
...I'm really bummed because I was playing the best I'd been playing and now I'm finding that depending on what happens, recovery might take up to a year...
Become the greatest putter the game has ever seen.

You have my sympathies though. My left side is trashed, and recovery was no fun.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts

Sorry to hear of your injury. Hopefully you'll get fixed up and fully recovered soon. Like someone above said, ask your doctors about what you can (and cannot) do re: disc golf.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Niced 161 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Sorry to hear of your injury. Hopefully you'll get fixed up and fully recovered soon. Like someone above said, ask your doctors about what you can (and cannot) do re: disc golf.
So I went to the orthopedic yesterday. He said, "how's Friday look for your operation?"
I was like, "uh, ok I guess? It needs to happen then?"
"No doubt. Don't worry, it's like an hour and a half outpatient surgery. Going to fix the rotator cuff and the fracture. There isn't much damage to the rotator cuff but the fracture's a problem because it looks to be growing"
"So uh, can I drive?"
silence
"Like, can I drive home?"
more silence, then finally, "You're not going to be driving for a couple weeks."
"Wait, what? I have to drive my kids to an event Friday night."
"I'd change the plans. You're going to be in pain and there's no way you're driving."
"What about the following week? I need to get to work."
"You're going to be on serious painkillers. So no."
"Can I just take some ibuprofen or naproxen or something?"
"You can try, but... let's just take this one step at a time. And the first step is, you won't be driving anywhere this weekend."
"Ok, so I have to ask, what can I do? I mean active-wise? I play tennis and disc golf"
"You're done with anything that can possibly move that shoulder for four months. Especially any activity where you can fall on it, bump it, shake it, unexpectedly try to move it. Done. Your arm will be immobile for about six weeks when we'll start some exercises and rehabilitation exercises slowly. Don't...be...dumb."

So yeah. I'll just putt in my backyard til next year I guess
Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 864 Times in 331 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
So I went to the orthopedic yesterday. He said, "how's Friday look for your operation?"
"No doubt. Don't worry, it's like an hour and a half outpatient surgery. Going to fix the rotator cuff and the fracture. There isn't much damage to the rotator cuff but the fracture's a problem because it looks to be growing"
"So uh, can I drive?"
silence
more silence, then finally, "You're not going to be driving for a couple weeks."
"I'd change the plans. You're going to be in pain and there's no way you're driving."
"You can try, but... let's just take this one step at a time. And the first step is, you won't be driving anywhere this weekend."
"Ok, so I have to ask, what can I do? I mean active-wise? I play tennis and disc golf"
"You're done with anything that can possibly move that shoulder for four months. Especially any activity where you can fall on it, bump it, shake it, unexpectedly try to move it. Done. Your arm will be immobile for about six weeks when we'll start some exercises and rehabilitation exercises slowly. Don't...be...dumb."

I doubt it, I don't think the pain will allow that. It took me 2 years before someone putting their hand on my shoulder didn't hurt. In the long run do as the doc says, you'll be glad.

Also, while your immobile your elbow will start to freeze up, be aware of that also.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 53 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
"So uh, can I drive?"
silence

Been there done that, and then some. It will be a long process. Be patient.

I made the mistake of trying to go back too early, after the sling came off and during the physical therapy. Horrible mistake. I changed my motion to keep my non-throwing arm more stable. Picked up some bad habits during that time and never got back to the proper throwing motion.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 322 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
9 days ago, I broke my non-throwing shoulder. I thought it was just a bad sprain (I fell onto it but when I got up, I couldn't lift my arm). It didn't hurt, I just couldn't move my arm up in front of me. I went to work a couple days and finally went to see the doctor and found out that my shoulder (specifically the greater tuberosity of my humerus) was fractured right about where one of the rotator cuffs attaches. I went to an orthopedic who had me go get a CT scan on it to determine if surgery is required. This was last Friday. Again, it only hurts if I try to move it (which I still can't lift it at all) I go back to the ortho day after tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan.

Anyone here ever do something similar? If so, did you play at all during the recovery? I can throw flicks all day without pain but I'm capped at about 150'. 200' sometimes gives me a sting because I have to untwist my trunk a bit. I'm really bummed because I was playing the best I'd been playing and now I'm finding that depending on what happens, recovery might take up to a year...

Anyway, not looking for sympathy, just looking for folks who might have tried to get through something similar and anecdotal suggestions for a return back to the disc golf scene...
Really sorry to hear this bfish, did you fall discing?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 1,620 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
"So uh, can I drive?"
silence

Sorry to hear it. Got to fix what's broken though. You are going to need to come to terms with the injury pretty quickly. Obstinance, stubbornness, and thinking you know more than the doc is going to cost you. Listen to the ortho doc and the physical therapists. Don't try to be a man and tough it out. Pain is a funny thing. It burns body resources, ones you need to heal and fight infection. Take the pain meds when you need them. Take stool softeners while you are on them. Short term repairs for long term progress. Good luck.

Niced: (2)