Old 09-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 738 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discbee View Post
What is a good way to know when you should be able to comfortably throw a higher speed disc? I know in the beginning it is wise to stay with low speed discs as you learn and develop, but at what point would it be wise to move up to a higher speed disc to add to your arsenal? As I understand it, you must generate a certain amount of arm speed in order to make those higher speed discs do their thing, otherwise they will not fly as intended. What is a good way to gauge when you are ready to incorporate these type of discs versus being frustrated by using them before your are ready. I could just go to a field with various speed discs and throw them and see the disc speed when the disc flies poorly (assuming good form and technique) and ascertain my limit, but just thinking about other ways that people have noted that might be a key to knowing you could be ready for higher speed discs. Thanks!
I was lucky my first about 365 days of play and I had only a Putter that was a drivable US disc having lost my US midrange a DX Stingray right away, not wanting to buy more discs until I was sure the game would stick. Then a year in I got some more discs going with a low speed 9 disc, Valkyrie and same mold but newer discs slightly hevier then the 168-169 gram DX are still in my bag today. Others I got, Leopard had changed the mold by the time I needed another yet got a mold that worked in that spot and the Sitngray, in 2017 I stopped using the DX Stingray mold and eventually got 2 of the Champion Shark 3 both 175 grams. The Shark in Star and old Pro plastic both about 175 grams are almost an approach midrange like a putter style midrange mold so the Shark works for driving putter/approach disc and windy day or windy shot putter. Shark 3 is a midrange with the midrange glide rather then the faster style of putter's float on a midrange speed disc the way a Shark will be.

*However I would not recommended using much more then a non driver like midrange for 183-365 days or about 6-12 months. Then get a midrange like a Leopard, Stalker, or Cheetah type disc you know a slower or midrange feel in case of Stalker type of fairway driver and possibly a control driver at 9 speed but not a mega OS disc if you want such a mold.

*If you have been using a 9 speed for a year and are wanting a faster disc try the 10-11 speed as I know even then in year 3 a speed 12+max distance driver is often too much for a player. I did not get a speed 12+ disc a Champion Destroyer until 2014 after having a speed 9 Valkyrie as fastest disc since mid 2005. Also weight will play a factor and getting a lighter speed 12+ say under 169 grams can help give you a mold that the speed of the disc is not as big of a factor, just stay away from most brands lightweight plastic as that is often not as good due to the way it is made.
Sponsored Links