Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 257
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 878 Times in 284 Posts
Default Back on the Road Again - Tour Stop #8 (Leicester, MA)

Tour Stop #8
Leicester, MA
Vibram Open
"3533 miles!, Well worth it!"

We left Oregon and headed to Missoula, Montana to teach a clinic and play doubles at Blue Mountain Park. We had a great turnout and seeing my buddies from Montana was a blast! I forgot how beautiful Montana is. It is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the USA. Thank you to the Missoula club for making this happen!!

We decided to go to Yellowstone National Park, neither Synthya nor I had ever been there before. The park is huge and has so much to see. Our two favorite spots were the Ferry Falls lookout and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. I can see now why the park is so famous. I think we could spend a month at the park. Maybe we will get the chance when we are older.

Our next stop was Theodore Roosevelt National Park in South Dakota. I always stop here to get a view of the Badlands. It is some of the most unique land we have in the USA. It looks like a bunch of mountain size mushrooms covered in green grass and all I could see was magical disc golf greens. We moved on and headed to Blue Ribbon Pines DGC in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I had to show Synthya this course. Ray, the owner, has done so much to make it stand out above other courses. Words won't do it justice, just put it on your disc golf wish list.

After leaving Blue Ribbon Pines I headed home to Kalamazoo, MI to teach a clinic and host a "Challenge the Champ" at Cold Brook Park. I had 56 players come out on Father's Day with only one week notice. I hold the course record, won the worlds there, and learned to play at that park. It was surreal playing my real home course and it was so nice to see my locals. I shot -10 and nobody beat me. She is still my course. Thanks to Larry Labond and the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek Disc Golf Clubs for there support.

We left Michigan and drove to Massachusetts for the Vibram Open. Along the way our muffler broke and we got super lucky. I pulled into the Speedy and Sons in New York and after checking with the local dealerships he said the part we needed was obsolete. We were about to be in trouble and the manager popped up and said he would weld it, but with no guarantees. He did it and it looks like it will last. What a lucky break to keep us on the tour!

We arrived at Vibram 8 days after we left Oregon. Only 3533 miles between National Tour Events. We stayed right on the property at Steve Dodge's house, it was very convenient and we want to thank Steve for his hospitality and for running a great event. I played consistent but in the end I finished tied for 7th. Still in the top ten. Speaking of top tens, I hit an ace on hole three with a Lucid Enforcer during the final round and it made it on Sportscenter Top Ten (#2)! Then it went viral being shown on CBS and other networks. Even the PGA put it on there site and wrote an article. It was always one of my dreams to be on the ESPN Top Ten so thank you to DiscEye for capturing the ace and submitting it to ESPN.

During the event I leaned on my Mace, Stryker, and Sinuses. I am really starting to fall in love with the Opto Stryker. Since the mold was fixed it is my favorite straight fairway driver. Everyday I am getting closer to my top form. I am excited to head to Europe for the two Majors and the President's Cup. We headed to Newark to fly out, I am on the plane right now! Next Stop Sweden!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by timg; 09-18-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 42.4
Courses Played: 229
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 110 Times in 73 Posts

Was at the Coldbrook clinic. It was really cool to have Dave there to do that on his was to MHO. Thanks Dave, hope you do well in Europe.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Dave mentions the Opto "Stryker" mold has been fixed. I haven't been on DGCR much lately. Can anybody point me toward more information? Believe it or not, I did try a few searches containing both "Striker" and "Stryker" as key terms.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Great write up! As always, I definitely enjoyed watching you play in my neck of the woods. Congrats on the ace and making the top 10! That was sick, I had to have watching it about a dozen times. Big Jerm's reaction was priceless. Great performance at the MHO man.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Dave mentions the Opto "Stryker" mold has been fixed. I haven't been on DGCR much lately. Can anybody point me toward more information? Believe it or not, I did try a few searches containing both "Striker" and "Stryker" as key terms.
This. I havent thrown the striker in a long time, but I remember wishing I like it as it felt better in my hand than the saint
Old 07-06-2015, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 577 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
This. I havent thrown the striker in a long time, but I remember wishing I like it as it felt better in my hand than the saint
I was thinking the same thing. It's definitely not a mold you hear very much about.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It's definitely not a mold you hear very much about.
It used to be fairly popular and helped propel lat64 into the forefront.. Problem with it was consistency.. Weight, dome, color.... There was no clear indication how stable they were before throwing them other than finding the opto 'snowflake' molding side effect
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Yeah- yellowstone has a special place in my heart too.

When is the next in the bag?

I have recently been field testing your signature disc and am digging it.

Your thoughts on its design, purpose, slot in the bag, etc.?

Would love to see this disc in a softer plastic like tourney/biofusion.

Good luck in Europe!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,823 Times in 1,631 Posts

Ordered a misprint Striker for cheap. We shall see.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 26
Niced 10 Times in 4 Posts

Great write up. I sure wish I would have know you were at BRP! I would have enjoyed seeing and maybe playing with you. Give us up here a shout out next time you are in the area.
Good Luck
Closed Thread