Old 02-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
Short answer: Thunderbirds. I could but won’t elaborate here. Join the “Fluke’s bag” thread if you’re truly interested.

A seasoned champ Leo3 and a seasoned champ Thunderbird are my workhorse fairways.
Long answer; TL3
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2019, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Long answer; TL3
Eagle L > TL3 and TL

But this is the Leopard3 thread, so... I had the most amazing hyzerflip today. Light headwind, slightly downhill, threw it hard and low with nose down. It went out straight for the first 175 or so, then gracefully turned right and coasted the remaining 200 through a tunnel. It was so fun to watch.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts

But anyway, since you all asked, here’s where I am at with my fairway setup:

169g 2nd Run FD - recently added, it’s very stable and in good shape
168g 2nd Run FD - I’ve been throwing it since the 2nds came out, pretty beat up but still straight
175 Luster Leopard - added today, hint of turn and lots of glide
175 Luster Leopard - getting a little beat up by now, my tunnel flip disc

The only way this could get better is if I could find lighter weight Lusters, and the older Leo3 would hurry up and break in already. The best part is that the feel in the hand for these two molds is practically identical, despite the FD having a slightly wider rim. They are just too perfect for each other
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB03AE1F-696C-4DCA-8E8F-90C1272C9908.jpg (85.6 KB, 56 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 805 Times in 368 Posts

Just read the whole thread.
I love my Leopards... Champ or Star for stable to slightly overstable shots. Pro for almost anything I want (absolutely love Pro Leos... they are easily my fav). DX for understable shots or low-powered neutral shots.

I field-practiced my Leos vs Stalker and Mantis (Leos won of course). UDisc told me 397' for the Champ and Star... but I don't reach for Leopards when the tee sign says 400' since there are other discs that are easily more controllable at that distance. Since the Star is relatively fresh and Champ is indestructible, the lines were low golf lines and didn't turn much at all. 6/5/-0.5/2 is how I would rate them. I live at 2300' elevation, things are slightly more overstable up here.

I am thinking about trying Leo3s just for the fun of it. Leopards are just fine and I know I love them... but every once in a while I get that itch, ya know. I'm probably going to head over to DGU very soon to hand-pick some discs.

Is this order of stability correct? And the general consensus is flatter = more high speed turn?
Overstable
Champ Glow / Color Glow
Luster
Champ
Star
G Star
DX
Undertstable

thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I am thinking about trying Leo3s just for the fun of it. Leopards are just fine and I know I love them... but every once in a while I get that itch, ya know. I'm probably going to head over to DGU very soon to hand-pick some discs.

Is this order of stability correct? And the general consensus is flatter = more high speed turn?
Overstable
Champ Glow / Color Glow
Luster
Champ
Star
G Star
DX
Undertstable

thanks in advance
The Leo3s are flatter than the Leos, and the Leo3s are a full speed 7 where Leos are speed 6 (I know, all relative, but I'm saying the Leo3 is genuinely faster, while the TL/TL3 speed difference is much less noticeable IMO). I am a big Leo3 fan, and it's a staple in my bag now.

As to stability, I haven't tried the Luster Leo3, but I've tried everything else. I also have a few Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star (HL Star) Leo3s. Fresh out of the box, the Champion Leo3 (my favorite) is not more overstable than the Stars or HL Stars. They're all about the same in flight. The (fresh) Champion Glow Leo3 is a bit more overstable, but we're not talking a huge difference. The DX is a bit less stable when fresh, but of course would beat in much faster than the premium plastics (mine isn't there yet, as I don't throw it a lot).

TL;DR: Yes, your list is correct, but don't expect huge differences across the spectrum.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I haven't thrown all of those plastics, but I think the two biggest gaps will be DX->Gstar then Gstar->Star. Star and up will all be closer to that -0.5/2 that you're used to out of the box, from my small to moderate experience. I'm impressed you're seeing that stable of a flight out to 400' still, it shows that Leo's have a really wide power/distance range.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
...I'm impressed you're seeing that stable of a flight out to 400' still, it shows that Leo's have a really wide power/distance range.
#1 I live at decent elevation. On Wed I played 2000' lower than I'm used to and my discs were all noticeably less overstable.
#2 I have problems with throwing nose-up which is why I like the less nose-sensitive narrower rimmed drivers. My fast drivers like Wraiths and Destroyers don't go much further if I'm being sloppy.

I agree that the Leo mold can cover an exceptionally wide range of stabilities. This is a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can cover almost all your shots with one mold; yay minimalism! On the other hand, you gotta be choosy when buying.

Thanks for the feedback on the stability gaps... DX Leos are soooo much more understable in my experience. I guess it's not surprising to hear Leo3s follow the same trend.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
#1 I live at decent elevation. On Wed I played 2000' lower than I'm used to and my discs were all noticeably less overstable.
#2 I have problems with throwing nose-up which is why I like the less nose-sensitive narrower rimmed drivers. My fast drivers like Wraiths and Destroyers don't go much further if I'm being sloppy.
Yeah and keep in mind I'm also at 4500' and typically use Leo's for 325-350' shots, if I get them out to 375' then that's a fantastic throw for me.

But basically if you want less stable then Gstar for turnovers, otherwise pick the premium one you like best. I do think the Leo3's hold a turn nice when they are beat in...I haven't owned one but the ones I have thrown that had some use do turn nice. Fresh they are as described before.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
...basically if you want less stable then Gstar for turnovers, otherwise pick the premium one you like best.
that's super helpful, thanks
I tried to see where you lived but your profile didn't tell me any secrets hahahaha

Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

well, here we go! One of each. The Star mini stamp was too swirly and too good to pass up... so there are two stars Now I just need to find time to play hahahaha
Picked these up from DGU/ Innova East and immediately played Boyd Hill Park. Only threw the Champ Leo3 twice but it seemed to do what I wanted. One of them I thought was an ace run but it got tree'd at the last second

Niced: (2)