Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 242 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
It's brand-spankin'-new... so it handled it. It was obviously less OS than the Champ or Star, obviously more OS than the DX, and pretty sweet out of the box. The problem is, I'd rather beat a disc into this stability. I can see the G* being a good option for scary shots where you don't want to lose your Champ Leo that has been beating in for multiple seasons.
Couple questions for you. I know you recently started testing out the mako3. My experience with similar mids is that I feel like they have a ton of overlap with the slot that the Leo fills. What do you use your Leo for instead of the mako3 or vice versa? Lower ceiling or slightly more distance?

Also I tend to agree on the Leo vs leo3. What’s your favorite leo plastic? Also have you tested the JLS? Pretty sweet and fairly similar to the OG Leo.

Reading this **** is making me want to get another OG Leo. Haven’t owned one in years but once upon a time it was my favorite driver.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2019, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Couple questions for you. I know you recently started testing out the mako3. My experience with similar mids is that I feel like they have a ton of overlap with the slot that the Leo fills. What do you use your Leo for instead of the mako3 or vice versa? Lower ceiling or slightly more distance?

Also I tend to agree on the Leo vs leo3. What’s your favorite leo plastic? Also have you tested the JLS? Pretty sweet and fairly similar to the OG Leo.

Reading this **** is making me want to get another OG Leo. Haven’t owned one in years but once upon a time it was my favorite driver.
I know you were asking Marmoset, but I just want to say that the speed 6 of the Leo and the speed 5 of the Mako3 do NOT tell the story at all. The Mako3 is a very straight/neutral mid, and the Leo is a very glidey fairway that beats in to have good turn and mellow fade. The Mako3 has decent glide...the amount that I think is appropriate for it to "glide" well but not get uncontrollable. The Leo has great glide. I find the Leo every bit as long as any other fairway, yes its rim may put it at a speed 6, but it doesn't matter. It turns, glides, and barely fades unless you have a fresh and stable one.

For my power level, I get 30-50' more out of a Leo than a mid. And if I want a low ceiling mid shot, I can use the Leo for that powered down and it will get there at head height instead.

Also the Leo is great for high anhyzers and getting as far right as possible.

Basically if I want to throw a straight shot or pure line and trust a landing zone, I would throw the Mako3. If I want to go as far down a tunnel as I can while not having to crush a disc to keep it straight, I throw the Leo.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 806 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Slowplastic nailed it. Pretty much perfectly describes my current experience... but I haven’t had much air time under the Mako3. I’ll get some Champ Mako3s and make an honest run out of them.

I Love JLS... he only reason I run Leo’s is because they are more readily available in several plastics and weights. Otherwise I would have kept the JLS.

My favorite all-around Leo plastic is Pro. Second favorite is Star. The indestructible plastic for crashing through the brush or for rollers is Champ of course. Man, such a sweet disc... love ‘em!!!

Niced: (2)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,155 Times in 539 Posts

Old Pro Leopards are the best.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

I held a leopard in a store. It felt bulky and had a big dome. I've learned that dome does nothing for my arm speed. A pro will rave about though.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discgolfer48 View Post
I held a leopard in a store. It felt bulky and had a big dome. I've learned that dome does nothing for my arm speed. A pro will rave about though.
Mmmmmm... domey premium Leo’s are delicious!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Old Pro Leopards are the best.
My favorite Pro Leo is one of those Pro/Star blends. Man I wish I had hoarded those. They hit the shelves when I was in my all-150g phase so I only have the one
Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,155 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
My favorite Pro Leo is one of those Pro/Star blends. Man I wish I had hoarded those. They hit the shelves when I was in my all-150g phase so I only have the one

I have two in my bag and 3 more on the shelf for backup.

Just lost my favorite one last summer after having it in the bag for like 6 years.

I've been beating up a PFN Star trying to replace that one, but it's taking forever.

Star Leo3's are nice, it's just not the same though.

Innova needs to run some Pro Leopard3's.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Yeah they do!

Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 215 Times in 108 Posts

There are flat pro leopards out there in that new gummy pro blend. They’re nice.