Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
I liked the Pilot overall; I was given one in Electron Soft plastic around the time I first picked up the Aviar3. It flew very straight, and had a lot of glide. Really smooth and felt easy to throw. If not for the DX Aviar3 (which feels amazing to me), I would strongly consider bagging a Pilot.
Nice, I will let him know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2017, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 353 Times in 222 Posts

This is a great setup. I wish I had used something similar when starting out.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts

Played a round yesterday at a course where there were some long open shots. I added a DX Teebird that I had used for fieldwork. It flew so straight and went a long way (for me.) Threw it with a slight hyzer and it went to flat and just cruised so beautifully every time I threw it. I'll still have premium plastic for the woods and rocks where I usually play, but I'm thinking of adding a couple DX Teebirds and treating the Teebird setup like the Roc setup.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 353 Times in 222 Posts

I always think about that but I hate what a tree hit can do to a DX disc and I don't want to switch discs out for half the local courses.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

The DX Teebird is still on my mind. I'll have to pay more attention to how the Star Teebird is flying compared to DX. It is supposed to be close once beat in enough, right? Might be getting there soon. For now the DX is in.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:50 AM
Eagle Member

Made some changes, documenting them here for myself but also open to feedback:

Putters:
175 DX Classic Aviar x3
167 Star Aviar3

Mids:
180 Champ Roc
180 DX Roc
177 DX Roc
176 DX Roc
180 Champ RocX3

Fairways:
171 Champ Leopard3
168 DX Teebird
165 Star Teebird
170 Champ Teebird
165 Champ Firebird
167 Champ Firebird

Others:
169 Champ Thunderbird
170 Champ Valkyrie
167 Star Shryke

Been spending some time throwing Classic Aviars instead of just putting with them, so I added a third one in for straight approaches and short drives.

The Aviar3 and RocX3 are mostly in there for forehand shots, though the Champ Roc (new to the bag) also handles forehand well and may knock the RocX3 out. The RocX3 has been great for me for forehand shots though, so it is in for now.

Champ Leopard3 is in for the Star Leopard. It can hold a turnover nicely but can also go straighter for longer. Spent a lot of time working on shaping lines with it. Gonna keep trying it out, see if I miss the original Leopard.

DX Teebird is in; so much glide.

Still working the 9 speed drivers. Getting enough extra distance compared to the Teebird to make it worth carrying them. Thunderbird has been great; really straight flyer both backhand and forehand. This Valkyrie flies just like the flight chart shows. Have had some ace runs recently with both of these drivers, so feeling more confident with them.

Shryke is still in there for wide open throws. Still learning to control it, but have had some of my longest throws with it. Until I get more distance with the slower drivers, it is in for pure distance when there is lots of room to work with.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 AM
Eagle Member

Putters:
175 DX Classic Aviar x3
175 Star Aviar

Mids:
180 Champ Roc
180 DX Roc
177 DX Roc
176 DX Roc
175 DX Roc

Fairways/Drivers:
175 Champ Leopard3
168 DX Teebird
165 Star Teebird
170 Champ Teebird
165 Champ Firebird
167 Champ Firebird
169 Champ Thunderbird
170 Champ Thunderbird
170 Champ Valkyrie

Took out the Aviar3 and RocX3. They were in just for forehands, but I got more comfortable throwing forehands with Aviars and Rocs. Leopard3 flies really straight when new, but definitely shows turn after breaking it in some. The more I threw the Champ Thunderbird I had, the more I liked it. Good control backhand and forehand. Added a fresh one because the first one was starting to wear in some and with how much I was throwing it, I want to have a backup just in case.

Been gradually branching out and trying other discs mostly for fun but also finding out there are a lot of good choices available. I already had some Discraft and Trilogy stuff, played a Trilogy Challenge, and decided to fill out some Discraft and Trilogy bags. Also gives me lots of options to mix and match when putting together a mixed bag. Here are the other single-brand bags I've put together:

Discraft:
Pro-D Challenger x2
Ti Buzzz
Z Buzzz OS
X Comet
Big Z Mantis
X Mantis
Z Predator
Z Undertaker
X Undertaker

Really liking the Undertaker; great addition to the Discraft lineup. Big Z Mantis has some sentimental value, but it seems like the Mantis is a nice, easy thrower.

Dynamic Discs:
TC Deputy x2 (felt great putting with this at a Trilogy Challenge)
Prime Marshal
Classic Blend Marshal
Lucid EMac Truth x2
Fuzion EMac Truth
Lucid Verdict
Lucid Convict x2
Lucid Felon
BioFuzion Escape

DD has some nice discs, but I find myself missing something in that 6-8 speed range. Great trio of speed 9 discs though.

Westside Discs:
BT Hard Shield
VIP Shield
BT Hard Harp
TC Pine x2 (seems like a really versatile disc, enjoyed throwing this at the TC)
VIP Stag
VIP Ahti
VIP Longbowman
VIP Sword

Never considered Westside until I threw a Shield around. Then I threw a Stag and it glided out so much more than I expected. I actually had trouble finding it because it had landed ~40 feet past where I thought it did. Really liking the Pine so far.

Latitude 64:
Zero Hard Pure
Opto Pure
Opto Anchor x2
Opto XXX
Opto River
TC River Pro
Opto Culverin
GL Saint

Lots of good molds here. I always heard about the Pure, River, Saint, and Culverin, but I think my favorite L64 disc is the Anchor.

About the Trilogy discs: I tried to include the discs that are closest to a Thunderbird. Anything that's closer to a Thunderbird than what I have so far? Overall, any "must try" discs from Trilogy that aren't here?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
The DX Teebird is still on my mind. I'll have to pay more attention to how the Star Teebird is flying compared to DX. It is supposed to be close once beat in enough, right? Might be getting there soon. For now the DX is in.
Could you please elaborate a bit on Star Teebird vs. DX Teebird?

I do have a 175g Champ Teebird which is pretty overstable (at least for me). Then I have a newish 158g Star Teebird, which flies like I expect TLs to fly: straight with a small fade at the end. Now I wonder if I should add a DX Teebird maybe 165g-ish. How does it break in?

My bag also contains a Q JLS, which I think could generally be able to cover those DX Teebird shots. And I have a DX Leopard, which I only use for field work. On the course, I currently carry only the Champ Teebird and the Q JLS with me, besides my Comet and P2 -- a Garubag.

What I wonder is, if the DX Teebird would add anything to my game or if I should rather use the Star Teebird and the JLS instead. (I want to keep the number of discs low.) Your oppinion and experience is appreciated.

Hope I don't hijack your thead with this.

Btw: I like your bag.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit on Star Teebird vs. DX Teebird?

I do have a 175g Champ Teebird which is pretty overstable (at least for me). Then I have a newish 158g Star Teebird, which flies like I expect TLs to fly: straight with a small fade at the end. Now I wonder if I should add a DX Teebird maybe 165g-ish. How does it break in?

My bag also contains a Q JLS, which I think could generally be able to cover those DX Teebird shots. And I have a DX Leopard, which I only use for field work. On the course, I currently carry only the Champ Teebird and the Q JLS with me, besides my Comet and P2 -- a Garubag.

What I wonder is, if the DX Teebird would add anything to my game or if I should rather use the Star Teebird and the JLS instead. (I want to keep the number of discs low.) Your oppinion and experience is appreciated.

Hope I don't hijack your thead with this.

Btw: I like your bag.
Thanks; always open to discuss and hear about others' experience.

My Star Teebird is 165g and fairly seasoned. Similar to how you described your Star Teebird, mine is also flying like a TL. Straight, with a little fade at the end.

My DX flies straight, and then straight some more. It flies farther than the Star with less fade. I've had it about as long as the Star. At first it had the full Teebird fade, but eventually it started finishing straighter and straighter. To give an idea of why I like it, here's an example of a shot I use it for: across an open field, with a gap between trees on the other side, with the basket in the middle/middle-right of the trees. I like it because it will fly/glide straight into the gap and not fade/skip away from the basket.

I don't have any experience with a JLS, unfortunately. But I'd say it is worth trying out a DX Teebird. Mine has become a great gliding straight flyer that doesn't take much effort to get out there. If I need max distance from a standstill, I'm throwing my seasoned DX Teebird.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

Thanks a lot for your description of the DX Teebird. It matches what I read elsewhere. Thus it seems to be worthwhile to get me such a DX Teebird. :-)

There's another thing I'm wondering as I read the suggestions from others for your bag: Why would someone who bags a bunch of Rocs add a Comet?

For sure, the Comet is a great disc -- in fact, it is my most loved disc -- but adding a great disc does not necessarily improve a good bag. As you carry a bunch of Rocs and some are worn in, I think that they cover the Comet lines already. (I do have a beat DX Roc, which flies almost the same as my Comet.) In my oppinion adding a Comet would not improve your bag but rather decrease the simplicity it currently has.

On the other hand, I've read several times that Rocs and Comets match well. They clearly feel similar in the hand, but I always regarded their combination as consisting of a newish Roc with fade and a Comet without fade. As soon as you cycle Rocs, I see no more need for the Comet.

How do you and others see the situation? (You have not bagged the Comet; why not?)