Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default Stability variation on high speed overstable discs

Is there something about high speed overstable discs that makes the amount of variation in stability extreme for different discs of the same mold?

I've been looking for something destroyer-ish to use for really strong headwinds where a wraith gets tossed around too much, or for utility shots where a wraith doesn't have enough movement left at the end.

Tried a 4x McBeth Destroyer, it was insanely glideless and overstable. Picked up a Wysocki Destroyer, it was on the opposite end of the spectrum and didn't hold up well into a strong headwind.

Tried a flat top Z Force, it flew essentially like a Wraith which I found really shocking, I was expecting more stability. Then I tried a domey Z Force, it actually is basically what I am looking for, yay! Figured the first one must be a fluke, so I tried my luck ordering a backup and got another flat one. PLH was different, but it flew just like the first, very Wraith like in stability.

Is this typical? I have not had this problem with any other discs, either slower speed or high speed but less overstable. Most discs I just buy a replacement and it flies pretty close to what I had before, taking wear into account.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 100 Times in 75 Posts

Yes, the variation is normal. The faster the disc the more variances you will see. Buying in person is the only way to go if you want a specific flight (Dome/PLH,etc). You can buy 5 Destroyers or Forces or whatever and get 5 different discs. Very common.

Even the understable fast disc will have large variances, maybe you were just lucky.

Wraiths are a little more consistent then Destroyers, etc.

Last edited by oldmandiscer; 07-08-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,129 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Yes, the variation is normal. The faster the disc the more variances you will see. Buying in person is the only way to go if you want a specific flight (Dome/PLH,etc). You can buy 5 Destroyers or Forces or whatever and get 5 different discs. Very common.

Even the understable fast disc will have large variances, maybe you were just lucky.

Wraiths are a little more consistent then Destroyers, etc.
Wraith discs are more constant then Destroyer due to wing being smaller on Wraith. However with Discraft, the PLH will generally be the same on molds 12 speed same as most other molds Discraft makes but the Dome will be varying on some molds 11 speed on up from Discraft. Most other molds the dome varies on speed 10 on down but not by much, you would have to measure with a level and a flat surface or the discs to see the dome change. The major exception I can think of is the Comet.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 929 Times in 717 Posts

Wide rimmed drivers can be a chore do deal with, for the reasons you specify. Finding multiples that have the same stability and glide isn't usually easy.

For really strong headwinds I'd probably skip the Destroyer altogether, and move to the XCaliber. Same speed and glide as a Destroyer, but beefier. The XCal works because its beefy, but still can be manhandled enough to provide good distance and glide.

Any wide rimmed driver will have variation from disc to disc. Prepare to spend time and money if you want to find duplicates that fly similarly.

Now, when you start going into understable wide rimmed drivers is where you really start seeing inconsistencies. Stuff like Katanas, Vulcans, Sheriffs, etc. Some of them are really flippy, and others can be glideless and super beefy. I've literally seen Vulcans that were in the realm of 13, 4, 0, 3.... when they're supposed to be more like 13, 5, -4, 2.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Par Member

Quote:
For really strong headwinds I'd probably skip the Destroyer altogether, and move to the XCaliber. Same speed and glide as a Destroyer, but beefier. The XCal works because its beefy, but still can be manhandled enough to provide good distance and glide.
How does the XCal compare to the PD2? I've only tried one PD2 but it was uselessly overstable for me.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Par Member

Also, I throw 166g distance drivers, so maybe what I need is just a max weight wraith...

Old 07-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 474 Times in 248 Posts

Weight doesn't matter much for stability, disc geometry is what determines stability. Parting line height in particular.
The PD2 is an XCal bottom coupled with the Discmania top. The Discmania DD is the Wraith bottom coupled with the Discmania top. In the case of the DD it makes the disc more stable compared to the Wraith.