Old 02-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Nothing wrong with the Polecat past 125 ft, and I've probably thrown it farther on the course without really realizing it. I've thrown the Polecat with power for distance on the range, and it's done okay for me. But I don't feel like I have much control of it, and it's a disc I throw for control and accuracy on the course. I'm dialed in with my Star and XT Colts for those longer upshots, so it's all good. And I definitely agree that the Polecat is a fun disc to throw. Love the Polecat!
I'm the opposite, where I feel like I have better control on the Polecat with more oomph on the throw. Its pretty hard to throw a bad shot with one unless your form gets really out of whack. We may not agree on much philosophically but we can all agree the Polecat is great regardless of how you are using it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
I'm the opposite, where I feel like I have better control on the Polecat with more oomph on the throw. Its pretty hard to throw a bad shot with one unless your form gets really out of whack. We may not agree on much philosophically but we can all agree the Polecat is great regardless of how you are using it.
Probably due to our respective grips on various discs. It's all good, and all about having the most fun per Steady Ed's adage...
Old 02-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Snowflake

It's Winter Disc-Down, so I'm trying a couple of things in my "Streets-approved(?)" small bag.

McBeth Prototype Putter
Champ Polecat
Star Mirage
S-Blend Tomb
Lucid Patrol
Pink Panther
Star Cro
Hannah L. CG Leopard3
Champ Banshee
DX Archangel
I-blend Sphinx

I took the Hornet out of the bag. Put the Cro in to have a stable approach disc. Also put the Champ Banshee in the bag and powered down on it for throws I normally threw the Hornet for. For a grand total of one (1) round, this did pretty well for me. More testing needed.

I took the Colt out and put the Mirage in. I have not missed the Colt, and the Mirage has pulled off some great thread-the-needle shots in the woods.

The Archangel is staying dry, so far, and I've had some nice shots with it.

The McBeth putter prototype is really good. I'd like it to be much less expensive...

Last edited by SD86; 02-27-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 563 Times in 260 Posts

I have the hardest time critiquing other peoples’ bags. Kudos on the lid though, I bag a birdie and it will never leave the slot it’s in.

Others have already touched on the sheer volume of different molds and I would tend to agree, but if it works for you it certainly isn’t hurting anybody. My only real suggestion would be to examine the approach to mid category. Inside 250 you have more molds than I have in my whole bag. It just seems a bit over complicated.

I do love how much infinite you’ve got though, itching to toss a Sphinx this summer for sure.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,920 Times in 1,666 Posts

I didn't approve anything...especially not an 11 disc/11 mold bag lol

I'd go:

Luna/Polecat

Panther/Cro

Leo3/Banshee/Sphinx

Last edited by Streets; 02-27-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I have the hardest time critiquing other peoples’ bags. Kudos on the lid though, I bag a birdie and it will never leave the slot it’s in.

Others have already touched on the sheer volume of different molds and I would tend to agree, but if it works for you it certainly isn’t hurting anybody. My only real suggestion would be to examine the approach to mid category. Inside 250 you have more molds than I have in my whole bag. It just seems a bit over complicated.

I do love how much infinite you’ve got though, itching to toss a Sphinx this summer for sure.
If Infinite would put out a stable-to-understable speed 7-ish mold, I'd be able to bag an all-Infinite bag.

Yes, I am overdoing it on approaches and mids, BUT when this Winter Disc-down (i.e. experimentation) time ends, some of that may clear out. In the meantime, I'm having fun trying things and throwing plastic.

Also, I don't cycle at all, so some people will have four Rocs while I have four different molds, and I definitely prefer having the different molds to cycling, as has been hashed many times on these boards.

It's really not all that complicated for me... I size up the shot I want to make, get the disc I want to make that shot with, then I (as the Nike commercial says) 'just do it'. I know my discs, the Polecat is awesome, and this is what is fun for me.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I didn't approve anything...especially not an 11 disc/11 mold bag lol

I'd go:

Luna/Polecat

Panther/Cro

Leo3/Banshee/Sphinx
Yeah, I figured it was a 'non-approved' bag, but it's a significant reduction from the full 17-disc bag I'd have if and when I play a competitive round.

I could almost do your suggested bag, but must have these things:

I have to have a cheap disc like the Archangel for the hole near the lake. I am tired of losing premium plastic discs to the lake, or having to get wet wading in and getting my disc out of the lake. It's not like I'm trying to throw discs in the water, but I'm a lot less skittish about it if I'm throwing a DX Archangel (and in the future, a DX Beast) around there.

I can get away with forehanding the Panther on approaches, but my home course dictates an understable mid for the bag on a couple of holes, and the Patrol does well there.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
If Infinite would put out a stable-to-understable speed 7-ish mold, I'd be able to bag an all-Infinite bag.

Yes, I am overdoing it on approaches and mids, BUT when this Winter Disc-down (i.e. experimentation) time ends, some of that may clear out. In the meantime, I'm having fun trying things and throwing plastic.

Also, I don't cycle at all, so some people will have four Rocs while I have four different molds, and I definitely prefer having the different molds to cycling, as has been hashed many times on these boards.

It's really not all that complicated for me... I size up the shot I want to make, get the disc I want to make that shot with, then I (as the Nike commercial says) 'just do it'. I know my discs, the Polecat is awesome, and this is what is fun for me.

I also refuse to cycle and carry more molds as a result. I really only bag discs to throw them for the “as new” flight. Counting on that tiny performance window a certain amount of wear will provide sounds exhausting to me.

Do you throw the Sphinx as your max d?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I also refuse to cycle and carry more molds as a result. I really only bag discs to throw them for the “as new” flight. Counting on that tiny performance window a certain amount of wear will provide sounds exhausting to me.

Do you throw the Sphinx as your max d?
For me, losing a disc that took months (or years) to cycle in to a certain flight is my biggest reason to not cycle. And for me, reducing molds does not interest me. If I can reduce discs in the bag at one time (depending on the course and conditions of play), that's fine, but I have no problem with having as many molds as I do discs in my bag.

Right now, during my Winter Disc-down, the Sphinx is my max-d disc. I've been sneaking a longer driver in and throwing after the Sphinx throw, so that I can choose which driver(s) I'll have in the bag come March 20th, but for now the Sphinx is 'the one'.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
For me, losing a disc that took months (or years) to cycle in to a certain flight is my biggest reason to not cycle. And for me, reducing molds does not interest me. If I can reduce discs in the bag at one time (depending on the course and conditions of play), that's fine, but I have no problem with having as many molds as I do discs in my bag.

I feel the same way. Playing with new discs, if you lose one you just slap its clone in there and you’re good as long as it’s not a mold with huge variations. I can’t imagine losing some go-to disc that took years to make fly like it does in mid-tournament. Even just mentally that’s got to be a real kick in the pants! I could never do that to myself.