Old 08-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 158 Times in 95 Posts
Default Suggestions for an OS distance flicker

Disclaimer:
1. I tagged this with Discraft because I know their discs significantly better and by using a host of them, have sort of an idea about what to expect
2. I'm addicted to plastic and I'm trying to get help without just buying everything to try out (which is what I would ordinarily do in this situation)
3. I have a z-flx machete

I only recently started experimenting with flick flex shots. I absolutely love my Z-Raptor. I can get really nice anny flex lines with it on a flick, and I can get that shot in the 300-330' range.

Like I said in Disclaimer #3, I also have a Discraft Machete in z-flx. (I also have a regular machete from Harbor Freight Tools that seems to get more use than I would like, but that's a different story).

I'm looking for a higher speed and/or glidey-er OS driver that I can throw like the raptor. I have to use a lot of anny on the machete and it autocorrects a bit faster than I'd like, so maybe I should focus on generating more speed with my throw and stick with the machete

-or-

Would you recommend that I try a:

Nuke OS (I say this because my regular nuke is very touchy and hard to pinpoint on the anny angle)
Flick (seems strange not to be trying a disc called the "Flick" when using a flick...
Force
Punisher (I have a rather light z-flx one of these but like the nuke, I run into problems finding just the right angle)

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

As far as Discraft I would say look Force first. A Z Force should be nearly as OS as a Raptor, but more speed and glide.

Flick is more OS and doesn’t have the glide you might want. Would be surprised if you can get it much further than your Raptor.

The Nuke Os could work, but the rim on those didn’t gel in a FH grip for me, and the rim is so pointed they are more prone to getting less stable than a more blunt edge.

If you are open to other brands, the VIP Giant, Star Ape and Neutron Phase could all fill that spot very nicely.

About three years ago I tried every OS driver I could find and found those to be the easiest to throw hard, far and accurately. I’m using War horses at the moment, but mainly because of the increased accuracy. They don’t go quite as far as the others.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,727 Times in 1,005 Posts

another vote for the z force

Niced: (2)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Niced 158 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
As far as Discraft I would say look Force first. A Z Force should be nearly as OS as a Raptor, but more speed and glide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
another vote for the z force

Hmmm, why did you both say the Z force? So I don't particularly mind Z for forehands (and that's what I'm looking for anyway) but Z is my least favorite Discraft plastic in general because I lose grip on them so easily with BH so I ordinarily look for Z-FLX, ESP, X in that order. Is it because Z is like a rock and retains its flight characteristics for a while?
Old 08-10-2019, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,727 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Hmmm, why did you both say the Z force? So I don't particularly mind Z for forehands (and that's what I'm looking for anyway) but Z is my least favorite Discraft plastic in general because I lose grip on them so easily with BH so I ordinarily look for Z-FLX, ESP, X in that order. Is it because Z is like a rock and retains its flight characteristics for a while?
z force is what youre looking for as you described the longer faster and glidier raptor

if i was you i would cycle forces grab a z x and x

for os s us needs

im not a big esp fan but there are those too

Niced: (1)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
It hold its stability for a lot longer and usually starts out a little more OS.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 65
Niced 115 Times in 85 Posts

My experience with esp forces (all 4+ year old runs) was there was a lot more variability in stability.

I think an esp force would fit the bill but buy 2 or 3 and compare PLH and pick one you like

That said, I have had best luck with Z forces for flights I wanted. At one point I bagged 4 for all of my D lines.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 245 Times in 140 Posts

Esp Force , not Z.
Better grip , more glide.
Same overstability

Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 315 Times in 115 Posts

I’m surprised that your Nuke is touchy at 300-330’. Maybe I just have a freak but I max out about that distance and a Nuke for me is an absolute, hard-fade, never turnover brick.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 413 Times in 303 Posts

I throw my Z Raptor about the same distance as you, and my accurate distance FH disc is a FR McForce. Best part is it's a great BH headwind disc. My Force gets me about 30-50 feet further but it's a 167-169. My max D FH disc is either the Proto Zeus or a Z Crank, which can go out close to 400. I'm gonna go try some things in the field though.