Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts

I guess I'll post these in the right thread now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimc View Post
Some of the changes wouldn't have been such a big deal if they would have had time to practice more. The schedule over the past few weeks has taken its toll on some of the players. The European trip then Worlds really caught up to some of the players. Focus didn't seem as high or last as long.
This jives with the reasons given by some of the players that skipped playing the tournament, like McBeth and Pierce. In fact, I think McBeth specifically said that if it had been a course he was more familiar with (presumably somewhere he had more than a weekend's worth of experience playing), he might have played even with the quick schedule turnaround.

What gets me about it is that when I'm approaching a course I'm less familiar with, I default to playing mids and putters and more generally conservative play, which is probably a good thing on a course like Iron Hill. Clearly, a lot of these top players default to aggression, or probably more accurately are more comfortable trying to play aggressive lines and throws. Not that that's anything new...I've always found that the touring player's mindset is "when in doubt, throw a big hyzer". If that's not available, the hole/course sucks.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,289 Times in 755 Posts

interesting that Paige P was there on site but she decided not to play . . .
Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,077 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
interesting that Paige P was there on site but she decided not to play . . .
Last week on Smashboxx, both her and Paul said they didn't feel like there was enough time to really practice the course to their standards to try and get a win. Even still, if they just wanted a week off after the biggest event of the year, what's wrong with that? The timing for Iron Hill is really bad in my opinion. Really difficult course that falls between 2 of the bigger events of the season. And it's unfortunate because it's a really cool course from what I can tell.

Paige travels with Alyssa Van Lanen, who still had to work. I'm sure Paul just went home since he lives in Virginia now.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,289 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Last week on Smashboxx, both her and Paul said they didn't feel like there was enough time to really practice the course to their standards to try and get a win. Even still, if they just wanted a week off after the biggest event of the year, what's wrong with that? The timing for Iron Hill is really bad in my opinion. Really difficult course that falls between 2 of the bigger events of the season. And it's unfortunate because it's a really cool course from what I can tell.

Paige travels with Alyssa Van Lanen, who still had to work. I'm sure Paul just went home since he lives in Virginia now.
I totaly get why she didn΄t play that close to Worlds. . BUT once she΄s on site i bet she could place top 2 playing the course blind and take home $1000

Usually when you decide not to play you go home. . .or anywhere else. . .but as she travels with Alyssa she΄s "stuck" and why not just play?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 09:00 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Usually when you decide not to play you go home. . .or anywhere else.
Not necessarily. She just won the World title. She visits, hangs out with her buddies, maybe gives an interview or two with the Worlds hoopla having died down a bit, and of course she's promoting that Dynamics Discs brand. "Disc golf is love, disc golf is life", dontcha know...
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,077 Times in 538 Posts

PP doesn't only make money playing disc golf. It also appears that her photography might be a potential career after she's done playing, so why not take a little time to develop those skills when not focused on playing golf?
Old 08-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 165
Niced 450 Times in 203 Posts

When I was watching Ricky's rounds on vid, it seemed like he was taking very aggressive lines. Early on it was paying off, sometimes with the help of a few trees that jumped out of the way at the last minute. But trees giveth, and trees taketh away.

I wonder at what point Ricky started checking scores. If he knew he had a decent lead, it would be interesting to know whether he considered playing more conservatively or decided to keep doing what had been working. And, with benefit of hindsight, whether he will make a different decision going forward.

I have played Iron Hill a few times, mostly middle or long tees to long baskets. At my (limited) distance, the fairways are fair but unforgiving. But even though I love woods golf, the relentless need to hit lines and scramble effectively at Iron Hill can wear you down.

Which, IMO, makes it an excellent test for the top pros. DDGC is one of the events I most look forward to watching every year.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,670 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
... Even still, if they just wanted a week off after the biggest event of the year, what's wrong with that? ...
What other jobs just let you take a week off if you want, after you've had a big week?

Oh, wait, there are a lot of gigs like that these days, aren't there?

Never mind. (Being a curmudgeon is harder than it used to be.)