Old 03-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts
Default drk_evns Backhand Form Thread

Alright. I'm crawling out of my winter hole and finally starting a form adventure thread for 2019.

I've come a long way since last year. Seeing improved balance and off arm mechanics (also I lost about 80 lbs lol). I haven't done field work in months because I don't like practicing in the snow, but I'm more eager than ever to get back into it.

Here's me in my garage today. No practice for weeks and starting fresh. Feeling better than ever in my form and want to hear what you guys think. These were pretty slow walk ups, just trying to ease back into it. What should I focus on this year?

Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

One of the reasons that I have ditched the forward punch, is that it is very hard to avoid what is happening in almost all your throws, which is you get the disc to the left pec/left elbow and it feels like it's the best spot to leverage the disc.

head out of alignment
plant foot looks a bit too open
settle deeper onto the front side, let that rear knee track forward .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tilt2.jpg (39.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg tilt.jpg (62.2 KB, 65 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post

One of the reasons that I have ditched the forward punch, is that it is very hard to avoid what is happening in almost all your throws, which is you get the disc to the left pec/left elbow and it feels like it's the best spot to leverage the disc.

head out of alignment
plant foot looks a bit too open
settle deeper onto the front side, let that rear knee track forward .
When you say settle deeper, do you mean allow the upper body to stack sort of behind the leg/knee/hip joint? I noticed mine is sort of continuing over top of the brace. I feel like everything would be closer to correct if my spine was stacked behind my hip instead of leaning over it.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
When you say settle deeper, do you mean allow the upper body to stack sort of behind the leg/knee/hip joint? I noticed mine is sort of continuing over top of the brace. I feel like everything would be closer to correct if my spine was stacked behind my hip instead of leaning over it.
Exactly: stack the weight behind the frame.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,709 Posts

If your front leg gave out, you would face plant because you are collapsing/going over top your front leg/hip or ski.

Watch how Wiggins falls when his foot slips, falls upright and butt first.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133595

Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 PM
Par Member

That’s an adjustment I can make!

I just recently got my balance in the backswing and x-step. I think that torso/upper body position is a remnant of my “old” balance.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Par Member

@HUB when I think about my off arm, it’s sort of just inactive until the backswing peaks. The reachback sort of automatically loads the arm into that position. After that my only active thought is “swimming” backwards.

It looks like a punch, but it’s really just along for the ride on my side until it swims.

I see what you mean about the left pec power pocket. Whorls you say Drew Gibson does the “correct” version of what I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
I see what you mean about the left pec power pocket.
Yep, this happens because your balance/head are aligned to the left leg, so your swing is around this axis in a way. I was that other incorrect comparison picture in HUB's post, and I have fixed my balance greatly. Getting aligned to the right leg, with head stacked to it and moving with me gets the disc out forward much much better. It's all balance and how you move your balance to the right leg...don't push there head first.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
If your front leg gave out, you would face plant because you are collapsing/going over top your front leg/hip or ski.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Exactly: stack the weight behind the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
...don't push there head first.
I've been going through the motions inside since yesterday and can feel myself throwing my torso/head forward. Couldn't really be more clear now that you've said it and I'm watching closely. I was all giddy that my balance wasn't lagging behind like it did at the end of last year and wasn't looking objectively at the other issues! I'm glad I know what to work on and I think they are adjustments I'll be able to fix relatively simply.

I'm trying to give it more brace up front and get my torso back and stacked behind the front leg. There are a lot more forces on my plant foot and I can feel the brace stopping my momentum as opposed to allowing it to launch forward. The form/positions feel pretty strange, which is probably a good sign.

I've been doing some hershyzer (at SW's recommendation) to help get my torso upright and between my two legs as opposed to leaning over while I'm moving to the plant. It's a great drill for that, and has been helping my spine stay straight throughout.

Also trying to get my x-step more perpendicular and keeping my eyes on target until last second, but going to focus more closely on those once I've fixed the brace/stack.

Last edited by drk_evns; 03-12-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Par Member

Thought of a question: do you feel your core/muscles resisting that torso momentum forward? Or does most of that get stopped by the forces transferring down into your hip/leg?