Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Bag Suggestions & Feedback

Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 63 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Thats a tough call... I didn't get on with my theory very well.. It was alright but nothing my Tangent/ Comet combo couldn't do. I have a 174 and 179 Vertex I wouldn't go lighter... I also have about 5 Tangents in various wear so I didn't need the theory.. For that matter I'm not really bagging the Vertex right now either but I do like it. I'm double bagging Spins, Envys, Switches, Inertias and Relays for practice..
New idea: My proton tangent does a slow controlled turnover and hyzer flip straight tunnels quite well, wonder if a signal would suit those tight backhand dogleg right better than an US mid, then use tangent for straight and slight turns and hyzers and a vector for longer straight tunnels, long hyzer and mild flex shots, then entropy for the rest. Or would an anode do that and then use a relay perhaps or a powered down signal? And if any of these combos work which plastics would be ideal?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 735 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefellow View Post
New idea: My proton tangent does a slow controlled turnover and hyzer flip straight tunnels quite well, wonder if a signal would suit those tight backhand dogleg right better than an US mid, then use tangent for straight and slight turns and hyzers and a vector for longer straight tunnels, long hyzer and mild flex shots, then entropy for the rest. Or would an anode do that and then use a relay perhaps or a powered down signal? And if any of these combos work which plastics would be ideal?
Well if you haven't checked out a Relay start there....

If your Tangent is good for flipping and you are grooving with it consider a backup.. I used to throw 170 Neutron Tangents well I still do but I got a heavy 178 Neutron and it's straighter out of the box it also has some dome, the others are flat. You want more beef on your Tangent go eclipse.. Thats assuming you like them. I love them for tunnel shots or the "I don't know" range, I also use the 178 as my wind putter... but I also loved the feel from day one and it's my utility mid so I'm biased.

If you are trying to shape a deep anhyzer line that's where I like the Vertex my 178 one is very close to my flippier 170 Tangent with more opportunity to turn anny and hold the height without burning. I'm kind of a mold hopper to the extreme but I rarely bag two MVP molds that are beside each other on the chart.

Add the Relay, you should have stable mids covered and consider what you need for Anhyzer duties.. Short range I love a 165 proton Spin or 174 Vertex similar flights.. Better distance on Vertex but easy to turn an electron Spin over.

Driverwise.. I use a Vanish to complement the Inertia, I tried the Signal and Orbital... still trying an Insanity..

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 04-30-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Well if you haven't checked out a Relay start there....

If your Tangent is good for flipping and you are grooving with it consider a backup.. I used to throw 170 Neutron Tangents well I still do but I got a heavy 178 Neutron and it's straighter out of the box it also has some dome, the others are flat. You want more beef on your Tangent go eclipse.. Thats assuming you like them. I love them for tunnel shots or the "I don't know" range, I also use the 178 as my wind putter... but I also loved the feel from day one and it's my utility mid so I'm biased.

If you are trying to shape a deep anhyzer line that's where I like the Vertex my 178 one is very close to my flippier 170 Tangent with more opportunity to turn anny and hold the height without burning. I'm kind of a mold hopper to the extreme but I rarely bag two MVP molds that are beside each other on the chart.

Add the Relay, you should have stable mids covered and consider what you need for Anhyzer duties.. Short range I love a 165 proton Spin or 174 Vertex similar flights.. Better distance on Vertex but easy to turn an electron Spin over.

Driverwise.. I use a Vanish to complement the Inertia, I tried the Signal and Orbital... still trying an Insanity..

There is one hole in particular that I am able to throw fairly well if I can hit a 20ft gap with low ceiling about 75-100' away that doglegs right and carries on for 200 before another sharp left to the basket. Ideally something with a late high speed turn that can handle 90 degrees without burning and enough fad to flatten out and carry a bit before settling on the fairway without needing a ton of air under it or room after the turn to fade back neutral is what I'm after. Mamba needed too much height as did the archer and comet but just lost my comet and despite loving the flight of it have always hated the feel of it in hand. The tangent is the only disc so far ive had some mild success with but it's proton 178 and a bit hard to turn so can occasionally fight out early to disaster and put me in the opposite direction in the tree prison if I dont give it enough snap. Something like the tangent with more glide would be nice, and a bit less HSS and maybe the same LSS would be ideal.

Just found an unmarked mayhem in plasma. Havent had a chance to throw it in daylight but imagine it will overlap my excite too much to bag :/ proton Vanish, proton envy, neutron vector, SE entropy, and lat 64 zion are all in the mail. Ill be able to evaluate holes better when they arrive but I know I need a mid range in the same vein as a panther for the woods and can hold an anny all the way if forced a bit but also fight out flat with touch. Love my sting for th elate HS turn but most overmolds have that quiality which is why I fell in love with them to start with lol Also a speed 11-13 for head winds that will still net some big distance. Those are trhe only 2 slots I'm concerned about at the moment, and want to get the most versatility without forcing discs to act in ways they dont agree with. I'm a mold moderate kinda guy I guess. I'd rather change weights and plastics of a mold than beat them in. Lots of discs arent readily available to me in the mountains so when I get something I like I try and stick with it, but the woods means lots of lost discs so can't rely too heavily on a specific one.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
There is one hole in particular that I am able to throw fairly well if I can hit a 20ft gap with low ceiling about 75-100' away that doglegs right and carries on for 200 before another sharp left to the basket. Ideally something with a late high speed turn that can handle 90 degrees without burning and enough fad to flatten out and carry a bit before settling on the fairway without needing a ton of air under it or room after the turn to fade back neutral is what I'm after. e.
Well I hate to steer you away from MVP or a Comet but if you get a chance to feel up a Tursas preferably in tournament plastic it sounds like the best Disc to fit the bill.. It is like a broken in ESP Comet less HSS in a good way and a late fade that can be predictably used or overpowered. Feels slimmer and sleeker in the hand. Comet glide, big wing and it's interchangeable with my Comets.

I'm a fan of Tangent (small wing less glide) and Comet/ Tursas (big wing) as my overlapping mid combo. Tangent downhill or straight and Comet if I want a deeper hyzer or anhyzer shot, use that bigger wing for the glide. See how it goes with the Vector.... and any other Tangent you pick up other than eclipse will have less stability.. I haven't tried a plasma yet myself..

Sounds like someone's got plastic fever

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 05-01-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Well I hate to steer you away from MVP or a Comet but if you get a chance to feel up a Tursas preferably in tournament plastic it sounds like the best Disc to fit the bill.. It is like a broken in ESP Comet less HSS in a good way and a late fade that can be predictably used or overpowered. Feels slimmer and sleeker in the hand. Comet glide, big wing and it's interchangeable with my Comets.

I'm a fan of Tangent (small wing less glide) and Comet/ Tursas (big wing) as my overlapping mid combo. Tangent downhill or straight and Comet if I want a deeper hyzer or anhyzer shot, use that bigger wing for the glide. See how it goes with the Vector.... and any other Tangent you pick up other than eclipse will have less stability.. I haven't tried a plasma yet myself..

Sounds like someone's got plastic fever
Lol I HAD it pretty bad, have a tonne of plastic, know most of it fairly well because I do a lot of field work and throw everything I have on every line I can think of but really fell for the feel of mvp discs and overmold in general. Went from carrying a bag of 25-30 discs down to 7-8 mvp/axiom which has helped my game a lot. Hoping to put together a bag of <15 to know intimately and my OCD wants it to be brand specific lol

So I think I'll pick up a vertex and hit the course today with it. From what I've read it may be what I'm looking for unless I can find a less stable tangent, which I agree has the amazing feel in the hand. Relay is looking like a good prospect as well. What are your thoughts in the proxy with my current setup?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Par Member

Had so,me time with the neutron vertex today and glad I went with it. It does pretty much exactly what i want in terms of turnover but the woods will be the real test lol. Hoping when I get back home that my entropy is waiting because my game suffers immensely without my zone as a workhorse FH approach disc lol

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
d. Relay is looking like a good prospect as well. What are your thoughts in the proxy with my current setup?
S*** a Proxy is going to mess it all up haha. Some people like them, love them... again not a disc I clicked with... I have a 170 Plasma and it's nice but something about the rim it feels wider than the Envy.. It was a mold I hopped.. I usually have a Tangent and it covers the same shots. Putting I didn't feel like it held the height very well especially anhyzer, I prefer my Spin... but it's a good Disc just redundant for me.

My bag anchors are the 165-167 Plasma Envy, 170 N Tangent and/or 174 glo Comet, 165 Spin and Switch..
Inertia is always up on the list too.. And fission Photon 143..

Glad you like the Vertex, I don't like to tell people I like it in case they don't. . Kinda like the Switch..

If you need something different from your Envy the Atom is the next step down in Neutron.. Atom in electron is Proxy country.. It's an excellent one mold putter choice because of the flight variations between plastics but again not for me.. I got 18 Envys ones a custom dye and I'm scared to dabble.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Par Member

Quote:
S*** a Proxy is going to mess it all up haha. Some people like them, love them... again not a disc I clicked with... I have a 170 Plasma and it's nice but something about the rim it feels wider than the Envy.. It was a mold I hopped.. I usually have a Tangent and it covers the same shots. Putting I didn't feel like it held the height very well especially anhyzer, I prefer my Spin... but it's a good Disc just redundant for me.

My bag anchors are the 165-167 Plasma Envy, 170 N Tangent and/or 174 glo Comet, 165 Spin and Switch..
Inertia is always up on the list too.. And fission Photon 143..

Glad you like the Vertex, I don't like to tell people I like it in case they don't. . Kinda like the Switch..

If you need something different from your Envy the Atom is the next step down in Neutron.. Atom in electron is Proxy country.. It's an excellent one mold putter choice because of the flight variations between plastics but again not for me.. I got 18 Envys ones a custom dye and I'm scared to dabble.
So here's the list of potentials, what should i throw in a bag to cover both the woods and a big open course?

elec anode
elec envy
prot envy
neut vertex
prot tangent
neut vector
neut relay
plasma amp
plasma volt
neut inertia
prot tesla
neut virus
prot vanish
neut fireball
neut excite
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Well, I finally got my hands on some MVP/Axiom overmold discs... Wow...

Thinking of a bag setup like this:

Putting - Anode
Driving Putter - Envy
Mid - Tangent / Entropy
Fairway - Volt / Amp
Control Distance - Tangent / Inertia
Max Distance - Excite

Thoughts? I'm not TOO familiar with the lineups so suggestions are welcome.
You pretty much had it right the first time haha.. Add a Relay probably the Vertex at this point and whatever else you want! I play with a double Nutsac usually 8 or 9 discs..

Old 05-01-2019, 08:46 PM
* Ace Member *

If you are at the crossroads with your putter try a couple different ones, if you're happy with the Anode then plan on committing to it. If you haven't tried a lighter envy check it out but that's my bias... that electron one should get sweet and straight fast.. I really like my plasmas.. They hit the middle ground between electron and proton but I sure notice a difference when I mix other plastics into my putting routine. I bagged an Anode for years but really didn't need it when I got the Tangent (120-220'). My electron soft 165 Envys are lasers at 200' BH, but again I pack a Tangent.

I didn't click with the Vector I expected it to handle OAT better for FH's that's a limitation of gyro hence the Entropy excitement. The other spot where gyro comes up short is an understable disc so the Vertex does that we'll. Depending on the weight it will also do 100'+ comfortably.

The fireball will likely fit in your bag too.. And either the Vanish or Virus. As far as I can tell you've pretty much sampled the best.. Fission Photons are cool in a very unique way... light weight is still stable but not windproof.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 05-01-2019 at 08:51 PM.