Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 200 Times in 153 Posts

^realized my lever lengths were wrong in that example, should be more like shoulder to arm distance for disc golf (~3 feet?) and shoulder to tip of club for golf (~3 feet for arms + 3.5 feet for club = 6.5 feet ~ double the lever distance of a disc golf throw.

Much harder to whip a wet washcloth than a wet towel.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2019, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Keep in mind with the feeling of when you are really bracing/redirecting your body relative to the swing, it's a bit different compared to a baseball bat or golf club. When you hit a ball, you are hitting it with the surface pretty flat to the contact so you hit it out straight down the fairway or slightly pulled for a baseball hit. When the bat is releasing through a bit more and the end of the bat is almost facing away from you, is when it has max power for being thrown. That's why a home run swing to left field would result in you throwing the bat over the 3rd base dugout if it slipped.

So if you change your goal to swinging the bat, and change your stance alignment to throw it where you intend, then you have a slightly different feel in the setup.

Just like you feel the heavy head of the bat swing around if you were to throw it, you have to feel the opposite side of the disc want to swing out on that last arc.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-30-2019, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

And re: pros/ams going fast to throw. There's lots of factors. When I threw lefty (my dominant hand) I had terrible form and basically always rounded. My arm was always pinned up against my body, yet, I still could throw 350', sometimes 375' on good days because I had basically optimized what that form could do. Doesn't mean I was doing it efficiently and I had to use significant effort to make that happen.

Example A: This was 360' with a speed 9 on an anhyzer to flat shot, yet I'm not even turning my hips back or getting the elbow out in front.

I wish I could find a video from 2016 where my form was 10x worse.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 08-30-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

oh baby, this one is a gem from 2015, I don't know how my shoulder didn't fall off.

Sorry I'm bored at work today.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 18 Times in 14 Posts

Also, there is too much above to continue what I wanted to talk about. So I'm continuing here.

What about his idea of redirection? Meaning having the disc come from outside to in, then back out. Like this diagram I made awhile back shows.

Is this a CRITICAL part of the ability to throw far? Or can you throw super far without this redirection? Because if you watch someone like Seppo, there looks like there is almost or no redirection of the disc. He just has it curled up in his chest/belly the entire way and then releases. Simon is somewhat similar. He has it curled up in his chest most of the way, and only at the last second does it extend out from him. But it's not out and away, it's just back. So I'm confused for players like Simon, Seppo, Eagle and others that appear to have no back AND away. Just back. They only redirect the disc as they throw. So the disc is in their belly or chest the entire throw, then sometimes goes straight back behind them, then straight back into their chest/belly, and only when they actually throw it, does it then redirect out and away from them. There is not two redirections, just the one at the hit.

So this is another point I'm really confused about. And proves that no one way of taking the disc back is better or correct. Some people like Philo take it WAAAY outside and less back. I SEE Philo redirect the disc. He takes it way outside, then as he comes through the disc comes in towards his chest, then bounces back out and away as he throws. But others like Seppo and Simon don't take it anywhere or just back. So if we are discussing redirection and this "bounce" like effect that redirection has, how can you explain players that don't really redirect the disc? Or maybe they are, but I'm just not seeing/understanding how. So more info or explanation of that would also be super helpful. Thanks
Old 08-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Backswing doesn't matter really, so long as your body isn't blocking it (see: Eric Oakley vs Seppo). The only important redirection is going forward. You can put those bottom three "discs" in your image really anywhere you want, so long as that redirection in the top 5 "discs" is maintained.

The anchor that CAUSES that rotation is a braced, planted spine through the front foot through the ground.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by UhhNegative; 08-30-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Inside:

Out:

Inside:

Out:

Keep in mind Seppo is throwing is hard as he can here and Philo is throwing a 250' firebird spike hyzer.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Backswing doesn't matter really, so long as your body isn't blocking it (see: Eric Oakley vs Seppo). The only important redirection is going forward. You can put those bottom three "discs" in your image really anywhere you want, so long as that redirection in the top 5 "discs" is maintained.
From what I'm feeling in my throws, I agree completely.

Having those last 5 or so discs going at the target, with that yellow dot of the opposite edge continuing down the target line is crucial.

The harder you throw a baseball the more your forearm lags back from the weight of the ball. I think it's a similar thing here, the more your forearm will swing in towards your body.

The weight shift and having your body turn forward from hips beginning to clear gets you to that 5th from the end position roughly, which is the launch position with the disc near your core. From here you can push the disc away from you and aim for the opposite edge to keep going down the momentum line.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Eagle Member

I've never understood the "push" aspect that people say. They say the furthest throwers its actually a push at the end. I can't figure how that would happen. The only way I can "push" my arm from powerpocket position to hit point is by using my triceps, which to me would seem to take away from the fluid whip nature of the throw. It's more like a stop of the elbow and wait for the hit than a flexing of the triceps right? Because that accomplishes the same thing but is accomplished through the momentum of the swing and not some "pushing" motion. Thoughts?

Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

I think this is the best visualization of it. The weight shift from the "door frame drill position" brings the hand/revolving door to your core near your front leg, and it has some momentum at this point. From here your body is set up in the launch position and you can push the door away from you by swinging your arm.