Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts
Default Rocking the Hips

We all know the hips are the core of our throw and power everything... but the way they do so is not so obvious. I feel like I've finally come to understand what's happening and I want to share what I've found and see if you guys agree. I've been practicing and experimenting the past month or so after having some discussion in my form thread with SW22 HUB and SP. They helped me come to this conclusion.

The hips ROCK back and forth. There is no twisting. Yes, you eventually rotate, but that is a symptom not a cause. SW has been saying the "move is lateral" for a long time, and I think I finally get it.

Below is an image of Paul rocking the hips. Notice how the hips tip back (hip closest to target is higher than back hip) in the "pump," then tip forward in the back swing (stacked on the back foot) and then tip back again to begin the pull.

The last piece (#3) is hardest to see because our hips begin to pivot out of the way as our momentum comes through. You can see the hips tip back more dramatically in the follow through from a front or back view (last part of the image).

As you can see, the right side (the "higher" hip) pivots out to the right as your swing comes through center. YOU SHOULD NOT BE THINKING ABOUT PIVOTING. Just focus on rocking those hips forward in the pump, back in the backswing, and forward again to brace.

After you're braced up against your front side with the hips there, you can now swing. For timing the swing itself, I recommend playing with SW22's elephant walk. Really helped me.

I think if you nail this movement, other parts of the throw sort of just fall into place (ie - balance). I haven't done a lot of field work with this (it's been bad weather so mostly dry swings indoors) but I think it's clear now that this is the piece I've been missing. It feels so right and gets me into all the "correct" positions almost with no effort. THIS feels like the core of the throw, and it couldn't be more simple. I want to know if you guys agree.

_

And for the more abstract thinkers...

I like to think about my hips as a balance board for a ball. In the pump, the ball is rolling towards my backside. At the backswing, it's beginning to move forward again, thanks to the tilt. As I move into the power pocket, I'm catching that forward roll of the ball and stopping it by tilting my hips back again. Catching that momentum IS bracing. Now that we've stopped it, it is released through the swing.

Lost yet?

Discuss.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Yeah, totally think I track with you. Related: I really think that thinking about the positioning of your belly button in secret compound video SW posted helps for a simplification (both videos helpful and related though):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Man SW, nice work with this video coupling. After watching these, it seems like if you re-center accordingly you could almost just think about throwing the disc completely with your belly button. I'm talking backswing, forward swing, bh, and fh. Is it that easy?!

To explain further if anyone cares, I had been trying to maintain a targetward tilt / during the backswing and realign or reorient the spine \ during forward swing, but doing correctly wasn't intuitive for me. But focusing on leading with the belly, as shown in vids, seems to take care of the spine orientation for you and fixes any tilting back or over the top issues. Less to focus on.

.I understand we aren't just throwing the navel rapido. This is just a helpful visual or tool that I believe allows me to have better spine alignment and orientation in both the backswing and forward swing. Like I was explaining above, helps to not tip over in the backswing if leading with navel and not come over the top in forward swing. Seems like an automatic fix to such issues and therefore something I'll have to think about less.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

When I log into my favorite disc golf site and the title of a thread is, "Rocking the Hips," it makes me think I've gone to the wrong site...
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
When I log into my favorite disc golf site and the title of a thread is, "Rocking the Hips," it makes me think I've gone to the wrong site...
Sex sells.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 300 Times in 182 Posts

HUB talked about this a little in his "salsa" video starting at 1:10 and at 3:21 he mentions rocking into the plant.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
HUB talked about this a little in his "salsa" video starting at 1:10 and at 3:21 he mentions rocking into the plant.
That's funny, this morning I contemplated mentioning the salsa in my post because if you're standing up straight and just do the hip movements it makes you feel like dancing.

I know it's been described before, but it apparently never clicked with me until now. I feel like it's so simple and easy to apply to the throw.

Paul's my favorite example of it because of how clearly he rocks his hips forward in the "pump." It's a lot less identifiable in a lot of other pros and while the motion is very obvious once you feel it correctly, it isn't always so straightforward when looking at another person doing it. At least it wasn't for me. The x-step kind of hides the motion inherently... which makes sense because it's the motion that best allows for it to happen.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Nice, at one point was thinking about this but I couldn't understand how it should happend. I remember seeing that elephant walk drill, but can't remember in which video it was. Mind linking it please?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Par Member

Elephant Walk Drill

https://youtu.be/Y-KVWfUkQ3s?t=280

The idea is to walk forward and ONLY allow your arm to swing once your weight is completely stacked over the foot taking the step.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,769 Times in 1,710 Posts

Niced: (2)

Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 300 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
I know it's been described before, but it apparently never clicked with me until now. I feel like it's so simple and easy to apply to the throw.
I know what you mean. Sidewinders gif above (post #9) makes a lot more sense now. I'm glad you brought this up again.