Old 09-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 674 Times in 333 Posts
Default Why is step putting so effective?

I've been running a dubs league this year, which means fewer lay-ups and more running putts from distance. As a side effect, I've noticed I'm much more accurate step putting from 35-40' than I am standstill putting from 30' or so. It's not just me; James Conrad, Paul Ulibarri, etc. also seem to be very effective when step putting. Uli has said he'd rather be just outside the circle than just inside it for that reason.

Why is it so effective? Is it because it gets your weight moving in the direction of the target? Because you're using your legs more? Because you're shortening the length of the putt? Some combination of the above?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.8
Courses Played: 60
Niced 364 Times in 201 Posts

I feel I get better alignment left and right. Timing seems natural. Feel less likely to yip it ‘no bid’ short.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 738 Times in 630 Posts

It has to do with getting the momentum of the disc moving more.

This is why with longer putts my legs are like Ricky W with the back leg push off/kick but with the long for me being 30-40 feet. I am smaller for one thing. Past 37-40 feet I am putting with my Star Shark then past 55-60 feet somewhere in there I am approaching with the Star Shark disc using more of a standstill or very low back leg kick on the putt using the hyzer of the disc to get to the basket. So then I am getting more momentum with the putter disc in the 30-40 feet.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 502 Times in 208 Posts

Your momentum is moving on the line of the basket. Whilst creating one larger moving part it reduces the need for timing of lots of other smaller moving parts to create the same effect.

I think there is also a mental effect there too in that you have to really concentrate on what you are doing with one relatively simple motion with the step putt, taking the mind away a bit from all the usual putting yips thoughts that creep in.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 565 Times in 261 Posts

Because it’s cheating

#trollface

Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts

Ditto on the cheating thing. Most everyone i see "step" putting actually has forward foot hit the ground past the mark before releasing the disc. "Step" putting only allows your momentum to move past the spot, not a supporting limb.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 565 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Ditto on the cheating thing. Most everyone i see "step" putting actually has forward foot hit the ground past the mark before releasing the disc. "Step" putting only allows your momentum to move past the spot, not a supporting limb.

Those who execute them cleanly are a painfully small minority, even on the pro level. I can’t even watch Trevor play anymore, my wife always comes into the room like “why are you yelling??” Lol

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 213 Times in 95 Posts

I have always had an idiosyncratic putting style with Innova Birdies up until discovering today's modern exceptional YouTube coverage of the pros this past winter and started dicking around with jump putts and step putts for the first time. I LOVE THEM. I'm back to using Aviars like I did in the nineties, too.

Yes, they get me going in a line with my body and less has to happen correctly with my arm and hands. I'm much better at those circle-2 attempts.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,004 Times in 556 Posts

Instead of changing arm speed, spin, height, etc to get the extra distance, you're just moving your body forward while using the same motion as a circle one putt. I rarely practice my step/jump putt (because I don't have much time to practice) but as long as I have the arm mechanics for a 33 footer, all I need to do is keep my torso still and step/lunge forward and use that one putting motion that I do get to practice.

And every debate about pros foot faulting while jump putting, I've never considered foot faults (except maybe that Paige Pierce one. That wasn't your usual jump, though. That was an extreme leap and most pros don't jump like that.) Try intentionally faulting. Jump up and hang on to that putter until your feet are off the ground. It's a very distinctive feel.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 274 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Instead of changing arm speed, spin, height, etc to get the extra distance, you're just moving your body forward while using the same motion as a circle one putt. I rarely practice my step/jump putt (because I don't have much time to practice) but as long as I have the arm mechanics for a 33 footer, all I need to do is keep my torso still and step/lunge forward and use that one putting motion that I do get to practice.

And every debate about pros foot faulting while jump putting, I've never considered foot faults (except maybe that Paige Pierce one. That wasn't your usual jump, though. That was an extreme leap and most pros don't jump like that.) Try intentionally faulting. Jump up and hang on to that putter until your feet are off the ground. It's a very distinctive feel.
You will never convince me SH isn't off the ground when she jump putts.

I also question many of the jump putts from Uli, JEM, and DF, although theirs aren't nearly as obvious as SH.