Old 09-02-2019, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,709 Posts
Default Swivel Stairs Drill

Hopefully this will help give players a really different(natural) feeling of the whole swing from the ground up and why being in dynamic posture and balance on both legs is supremely important to allow your body effortless range of motion to swivel the butt to swing/sling/whip the arm/disc.

Thoughts or questions?

Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 222
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks, I always find your videos helpful. Other ones have helped me increase my driving distance (slightly) and, more importantly, control the direction. Unfortunately I still throw all my discs about the same distance (250' - 275') which is frustrating. I'm a long-time Ultimate player so I'm sure my "Frisbee" instincts hurt me. Not following through is a frequent mistake of mine. I tend to throw better when I get tired (not thinking so much and just throwing). I understand the whole "relax until the hit" and the hip pivot stuff from martial arts and playing baseball. For some reason, I struggle doing the same thing with a golf disc. Once in a blue moon, I'll accidentally launch a disc 400' but I can never go back and capture what I did 'right' that time.
If you ever offer paid lessons up there at Creeping Creek, let me know. I'd post video of myself except nobody will film me and I seem to throw differently every time anyway. Thanks again as you have given me more things to get my mental game in order (I hope).

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooow View Post
Thanks, I always find your videos helpful. Other ones have helped me increase my driving distance (slightly) and, more importantly, control the direction. Unfortunately I still throw all my discs about the same distance (250' - 275') which is frustrating. I'm a long-time Ultimate player so I'm sure my "Frisbee" instincts hurt me. Not following through is a frequent mistake of mine. I tend to throw better when I get tired (not thinking so much and just throwing). I understand the whole "relax until the hit" and the hip pivot stuff from martial arts and playing baseball. For some reason, I struggle doing the same thing with a golf disc. Once in a blue moon, I'll accidentally launch a disc 400' but I can never go back and capture what I did 'right' that time.
If you ever offer paid lessons up there at Creeping Creek, let me know. I'd post video of myself except nobody will film me and I seem to throw differently every time anyway. Thanks again as you have given me more things to get my mental game in order (I hope).
Tired err Drunken Master is legit way to throw further although maybe not the most accurate. Hit me up and we'll play around and work on some things. You don't need somebody to video you, just prop your camera on something and record. Seeing yourself throw can be just as important as anything.

Golf is 90% mental or letting go and becoming reactionary. Ever read "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect"? Craig's Corner is basically the cliff notes version. I found this to be true in swimming as well. When I would think about a time goal right before a race that just had to absolutely hit, I just would psych myself out from that expectation and tense up and thrash/spinning hands through the water. When I stopped caring about the result before the race and relaxed and trusted the training, I was more fluid and swam taller and went faster by catching more water, and arms would be moving slower or almost not even moving through the water, but propelling my body moving faster through the water around the hands. In DG most players spin/thrash their feet/hips fast instead of propelling the hand/disc faster. My teammate/friend used to say "F it" before every race and when I adopted that philosophy I went to the next level. Same thing with throwing, if you have this distance you absolutely must hit, you will most likely just psych yourself out and get all tense. I can see throwers do this all the time before they even throw.

Don't think, FEEL!
Old 09-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

@seabass22 of you ever do private lessons, lmk the $. I'm sure I can get to MD before the snow. I'm serious.

I could feel this on the stairs, that 'swivel', but lost it off them. Need to do this a few more times, and try and internalize the feeling. I have a 'drift left' problem, and you have pointed out my knees get in each other's way before so I know this could help.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by axion View Post
@seabass22 of you ever do private lessons, lmk the $. I'm sure I can get to MD before the snow. I'm serious.

I could feel this on the stairs, that 'swivel', but lost it off them. Need to do this a few more times, and try and internalize the feeling. I have a 'drift left' problem, and you have pointed out my knees get in each other's way before so I know this could help.
PM me.

You should get basically the same Swivel and Drop feeling in these while leveraging forward off the rear foot:

Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Genious! I bet even by only visualizing yourself in stairs while throwing helps with dropping into plant more balanced, have to find spot with stairs and open field.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Genious! I bet even by only visualizing yourself in stairs while throwing helps with dropping into plant more balanced, have to find spot with stairs and open field.
Throw from a downhill lie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4pxndBpJ4#t=2m22s

Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

For those that are struggling with planting toward the left side of the teepad, kick the ball/can drill and crush can like Lizotte go hand in hand with this. But you have to understand it though and trust the process.

In the backswing, try putting your right leg (front leg in rhbh) toward left side of teepad (from behind view) and letting it hang and swing toward the right side of teepad (from behind view again) when shifting forward - kicking ball toward your right. It's counter intuitive because people are told and have it ingrained with them that they need to plant toward the left in order to be closed but it's happening differently than one thinks (i.e., it's not stepping forward to the left). Try really exaggerating the kicking the ball from left to right and then dial it in/adjust accordingly after. Your body will be in a better position to naturally sling the disc forward.