Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 138 Times in 88 Posts

Nice to know, thanks BroD. I'm going to be heading to local shop this weekend, hold the Monarch and the Sidewinder and see which one feels best. Is there a perfered SW plastic to try, or is more just personal preference?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

I don't think so. Star beats a little faster, usual stuff. They start pretty straight and as they beat in they S-curve more. They're a really nice first distance driver and nifty for weaving through woods. Garublador doesn't like them, he thinks they're squirrely but I've never agreed.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:44 PM
* Ace Member *

So went to league today and got to try out a few of the discs I've been curious about: CE Valk, GL Vision, Champ Sidewinder, and a Star Archon.

The Valk was cool and felt great, but definately too flippy.

The Sidewinder as definately what I was looking for, but it wasn't as far as I expected it to be.

The Vision was a fun disc to throw, straighter than I expected it to be, but held the anny line really well.

The Archon is not the disc for this particular shot, but "Holy Crap," I rip the bejesus out of it. Super easy straight distance.

I think that I'm going to go with the Vision for the understable slot, and add a Archon for Big D. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll let you know how things work out.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

COLOR="blue"]Blue[/COLOR]= newly added red= Gone

Drivers
S-PD, 172g, Long hyzers, straight with good fade, most winds (400') lost it yesterday
Champ Orc, 169g, Everything disc, long hyzers, long annys, hyzer-flips (440' farthest ever, most 410')
C-TD, 171g, Testing this to see if it will take over Understable Duties.
Star Archon, 172g, this will turn into the Max D Driver

Fairway Drivers
Opto Trident, 175g, Wind, skips, and spikes
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 173g,- Hyzers, tight S curves
Star Gazelle, 172g, Straight with small fade at the end, longer hyzers than the 11x
Opto River, 173g, Annys and hyzer-flips (400')- This has now replaced the GL b/c it has beat in enough
Opto River, 171g-Fresh, straight, easy hyzers, and annys that come back just a tad

Mids
S-GM, 175g, Same line as the Gazelle, but I can really throw this hard without blowing by holes that I do with the Gazelle (325')
Z-Buzzz, 171g, Gentle Hyzers and straight shots
Z-Buzzz SS, 175g- Straight shots, annys that need to stay up a little longer, can put a little more power on than the Fuse, may replace the regular Buzzz
GL Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties- Annys and Hyzer-flips
ESP Zone, 168g, Trouble disc, FH approaches, spikes, reliable approaches (270')

Putters
Z-Magnet, 171g- Putter and Aproaches
Z-Magnet, 172g, Same

Not too many changes, added an Archon for some max D. Testing out a TD, but it seems to be more stable than I had originally anticipated.

Lost my S-PD, so I'm debating picking up another one or switching over to a Z Pred. I found that I didn't use the PD a whole lot, more for windy days and long spike hyzers. So open to suggestions. I use the Trident for most extreme overstable shots, so looking for more of a workable OS distance driver. Just to give an idea, I couldn't do jack with a Nuke OS I tested, but my last pred got a little flippy. Might try out a max weight Destroyer to see if that does what I want, but I don't know.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

So we just had our first frost last week, which means it's time for a bag change to easy to find colors. This is one of my favorite times of the years b/c it give you the chance to try out some new things and play with some new discs. So the priority went to color then closest thing to what's been in the bag. There's a few goodies that stayed, but a ton that have switched. This is a lot of discs for me, but I don't carry them all the time, certain courses favor different discs.

Blue Testing
From Old Line Up

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- This is one of the "Destrulcans" so I'm hoping it will be nice and workable. I'm hoping this will be my straight to slightly overstable Max D Driver.
Star Archon, 172g- This is my Max D driver right now. I'm hoping this will be my undstable to straight Max D driver.
GL Bolt, 174g- Just testing it out
Pearly Champ Orc, 170g- This is the control distance drivers
Pearly Champ Viking, 171g- Testing
Z Predator, 173g- Overstable workable distance
SP Tsunami, 175g- Overstable workable distance
The Pred and Tsunami are fighting it out.

Fairway Drivers

GL Trident, 173g-Utility disc, Spikes, overhead, skips
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 173g- Predictable fade, small S, control hyzers
Star Gazelle, 172g- Longer S and hyzers
Opto River, 173g- Nice and beat, great for annys and straight with no fade
GL River, 179g- Colorshift, hoping this with be straight or straight with slight fade

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight, gentle hyzers, come-back annys(this is a different Buzzz)
Z Wasp, 170g- Hyzers, baby S, straight with fade, skips
ESP Zone, 168g- FH saves, stick approaches

Putters

Pro-D Rattler, 174g- Approaches
Proline Titanic, 173g- New and also FLX plastic, stick to the chains in the winter
Z Magnet, 171g- Drives and jump putts

The only real questions of will it make it into the bag are the Star Destroyer, GL Bolt, Pearly Champ Viking, Star Gazelle, Colorshift River, and Rattler.

-I'm most hopeful the Rattler, especially for 80'-120' approach range.
-I do have high hopes for the Star Destroyer, but we will see.
-I want the Colorshift River to make it b/c the other River I have is going to be more difficult to see.
-The Star Gazelle is great when it's used, but I don't use it very much, I've found the River can cover more shots than the Gazelle does.
-The GL Bolt is hopefully going to be the super anny hyzer-flip disc.
-Pearly Champ Viking is pretty and easy to see, that's it.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
Blue Testing
From Old Line Up
Out

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- This is one of the "Destrulcans" so I'm hoping it will be nice and workable. I'm hoping this will be my straight to slightly overstable Max D Driver.
Star Archon, 172g- This is my Max D driver right now. I'm hoping this will be my undstable to straight Max D driver.
GL Bolt, 174g- Just testing it out
Pearly Champ Orc, 170g- This is the control distance drivers
Proline Orc, 175g- I really love this disc and just said, "screw it, I'm going to throw it."
Pearly Champ Viking, 171g- Testing
Z Predator, 173g- Overstable workable distance
SP Tsunami, 175g- Overstable workable distance
The Pred and Tsunami are fighting it out.

Fairway Drivers

Star Gazelle, 172g- Longer S and hyzers
GL River, 179g- Colorshift, hoping this with be straight or straight with slight fade

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight, gentle hyzers, come-back annys(this is a different Buzzz)
Z Wasp, 170g- Hyzers, baby S, straight with fade, skips

Putters

Proline Titanic, 173g- New and also FLX plastic, stick to the chains in the winter
Z Magnet, 171g- Drives and jump putts

-I do have high hopes for the Star Destroyer, but we will see.
-The GL Bolt is hopefully going to be the super anny hyzer-flip disc.
So after a couple of rounds yesterday, I already have some slight modifications to the bag.
-The Pearly Orc is out, it was nice but not wow, so I'm switching back to the Proline that is Wow.
-River made it, I feel like the really heavy weight in the GL made it more useable for my needs.
-The Star Gazelle now has a permenate place b/c of it's ablility to bail out of an anny right at the end, giving you those, "come back, come back, come back....yes!" shots.
-The Rattler surprised me more than any of the other discs though because it just sat down. It didn't glide, or fade, or anny, it just flew and then fell, really a neat disc to play with. Only downside is since it's Pro-D, it won't dye (at least not well) and this is a problem. Yes, I'm snooty.
-Only threw the Viking once and it performed like a slower Orc, so it may stay in the bag or I may just crank on the Gazelle or power down the Orc, but we'll see.

Didn't really throw the Destroyer, Bolt, Pred, or Tsunami, so their still on trial.

Once again I won't carry all these discs all the time, but more for tournament play.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

^^^ i have been testing the Rattler too and was surprised this weekend with it.. very fun to throw and just like GLong told me it is very cometish in the fact that it pretty much does what you tell it too and like you said it manages to stay inside the circle if you go past the basket
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

So after a few field practice rounds I think the Viking may stay. It's nice and straight thrown at about 70-80% power, turns over a little at full power but does come back at the end.

I don't know about the bolt, it was kind of inconsistent. It flew more like a River that if I threw on a hyzer it would pop-up to straight, which was awesome, but then if thrown hard and flat would go straight then start turning over and didn't come back. I didn't get a chance to throw huge sweeping annys with it, but it just fit the bill for what I've been looking for, or it may just piss me off.

The Z-Wasp I've been throwing is really flat, nice and overstable, almost a little too much, but will do really well or skips. The Buzzz is way more overstable than I was wanting. In fact I'm testing it out against a Champ Roc+, and right now their really close. The Roc+ has a huge dome and floats really well, but the Buzzz has better straight line D.

The Rattler has been nice, but when I started throwing it side by side against the new Ace Race disc it flew very similar, only difference was the rattler sat down a little better.

The Destroyer is still a little beefy, but hopefully after a few hard landing it will be just right.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

So done testing for now, here's the line up

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- Looong Hyzers, hard comeback S
Star Archon, 172g- Long straight driver, turnovers that still come back
Proline Orc, 175g- Control distance driver
Sp Tsunami, 175g- OS distance needs

Fairway Drivers

11x KC Pro Gazelle, 163g- Longer S and hyzers, needs more room to work than the 173g, but goes farther
GL River, 179g- Easy Hyzers, long annies that bail just before the point of no return.

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips, Long gentle hyzers
Champ Roc +, 175g- Hyzers, straight with easy fade
Z Wasp, 170g- Workable overstable duties
Putters

Proline Titanic, 173g- Putting duties

Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Lost the Roc+, kind of upset b/c it was really come along nicely, but I'll just go back to the Buzzz no big whoop.

Also the Star Destroyer (Destrulcan) has become super flippy really quickly, more so than the Archon. So I'm wondering if I get a regular Destroyer is it going to be significatantly more stable than the Destrulcan, and if so what weight? I know that people say the lighter ones are super overstable, so I just want one that I can throw on a long S and have it come back reliably without being too crazy.

I'm falling out of love with Magnet/Titanic, so I may go back to the Voodoo, we'll see.

I like how the Archon and Orc pair up, as far as stable-understable to stable-overstable. If anyone has a good compliment to the Destroyer I would love to hear it. I've tried nukes and lost interest in them. I have smaller hands so would perfer a disc with a slightly smaller rim. Thanks again for any help.

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- Looong Hyzers, Annys, Hyzer-flips
Star Archon, 172g- Long straight driver, turnovers that still come back
Proline Orc, 175g- Control distance driver
Sp Tsunami, 175g- OS distance needs

Fairway Drivers

GL Trident, 173g-Utility disc, Spikes, overhead, skips (May have to replace with an Opto b/c it's not beefy enough, I know it sounds weird right, but it can be thrown on an S, and I want more a straigt to left)
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 163g- Longer S and hyzers, needs more room to work than the 173g, but goes farther
GL River, 179g- Easy Hyzers, long annies that bail just before the point of no return.

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips, Long gentle hyzers
Z Buzzz, 176g- Hyzers, straight with easy fade
Z Wasp, 170g- Workable overstable duties
Putters

Proline Titanic, 173g- Putting duties