Old 08-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 254
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default How many others will be banned?

The way I understand it, the PDGA changed their definition of what a legal disc or PDGA approved disc should be. I also understand that the Turbo Putter will no longer be good after this year. How many other discs got cut out due to these changes? If more than that one, which companies were effected by this? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think just Quest is affected by this. They also made the double-rimmed Wheel that didn't get approval.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you have a link to the info on "The Wheel"? Last I'd heard, its approval was still pending.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

What is a Turbo putter and what is wrong with it?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,245 Times in 851 Posts

The Turbo-Putt is designed like a saw blade, with nubs all around the outside of the rim. It's designed to be used to turbo-putt, which is a putting technique. It's hard to explain, but if I'm stuck behind a something and I can't get a regular putting motion, I'll put my fingers on the outside and top of the rim with my thumb on the bottom of the flight plate, then sort-of fire the disc at the basket like a football. Bad explanation, but you get the gist. Anyway, the nubs on the outside are grooves for your fingers, and there is a swirl on the bottom so you can wedge your thumb into something for better grip. Really, it's sort-of a novelty disc. It was first approved, but there was a bunch of uproar since technically it is not round. There was also some concern that it was unsafe, but hit a guy in the head with a Turbo-Putt and then hit him in the head with a Pro Destroyer and see which gash needs more stitches.

There was some other stuff going on as well (the SL was ruled illegal briefly on a technicality.) So the rules were revised and the Turbo-Putt become illegal after this year. Not a great big deal, really.

They also put a limit on the size of the rim, which was a bigger deal. 2.4 cm., if I recall correctly. So once Innova comes out with their "Speed 14" discs, that will be all she wrote for the "Bigger rim, faster disc" race we have been in for the last 10 years or so. That is why the Monarch all of a sudden showed up. The manufacturers will have to develop new tricks from here on out since the rims are about as big as they can get.

The Turbo-Putt was really the only disc affected. The Epic could have been since at it's widest spot the rim is bigger than the max, but it is grandfathered in and will not loose it's approval. The Wheel was kind-of a gray area, but there were reasons NOT to approve it under the old rules so I don't think it would have been approved one way or the other. The story I heard was that Steve at Quest knew that the PDGA was going to revise the tech standards, so he was hung out to dry...he could not go forward with any new designs not knowing what the new standards were going to be, and the PDGA was dragging its feet and not doing anything. He released the Wheel and Viola!...the tech standards revision email came out the next week. The rumor was that he knew all along that it would not be approved, and he only released it to force the PDGA to do something. In the end he determined the rim size limit by releasing the Double D, as it was slated to be grandfathered in with a smaller rim limit but the other manufacturers argued that it would be unfair for Quest to be the only company with a disc that fast. So the Double D rim size became the legal limit by default.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
Do you have a link to the info on "The Wheel"? Last I'd heard, its approval was still pending.
Nope, The Wheel is illegal for PDGA play. It's kind-of useless anyway, so no great loss.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 PM
*Super Moderator*

Also I guess that I should note that the guy who complained loudest FOR the Tech Standards revision and for a limit on the size of the rim was Dave Dunipace at Innova. He was pretty open at the time that the Destroyer was released that he thought the rims had gotten too wide and he wanted a 10% rule...the rim could only be 10% of the diameter, which for a 21.1 cm driver would have been 2.11 cm. The Destroyer was actually the third Innova disc to exceed the 10% rule (the MAX and TeeRex were the first two) but when the Destroyer came out he made a lot of noise about how he felt forced to release that disc and he did not think it was good for the game to have discs like that (more ballistic, less aerodynamic) out there. So Innova was actually campaigning for a 21.1 cm limit on rims, even if it made three of their best-selling drivers illegal (although they also recommended a 10-year window to phase them out.)
Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Nope, The Wheel is illegal for PDGA play. It's kind-of useless anyway, so no great loss.
In casual play I've found it makes a decent "get out of trouble" disc, on occasions. It is a straight, slow roller, and sometimes that is what is called for. But on most occasions a regular driver is better, they can roll a lot farther.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

why was the SL dubbed illegal at one time?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 254
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Link to Turbo Putter:
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?sn=turbo+putt

Link to the Wheel:
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...t.php?sn=wheel