Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Gateway Samurai and Mystic

Ok guys, I just recieved these two disc's from gateway......has anybody thrown them yet? Any info on them?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

is the mystic the new midrange?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Samurai is supposed to be their less stable Slayer, right? Not heard of the Mystic.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 42
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
Samurai is supposed to be their less stable Slayer, right? Not heard of the Mystic.
Correct on the Samurai. Pretty sweet disc.

The Mystic is thier new mid without a bead. Supposed to be a less stable Buzzz. Pretty straight...without fade at the end. I have a heavy one...would like to try a lighter one.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgeoguy View Post
Correct on the Samurai. Pretty sweet disc.

The Mystic is thier new mid without a bead. Supposed to be a less stable Buzzz. Pretty straight...without fade at the end. I have a heavy one...would like to try a lighter one.
Have you thrown the Element? I have a buddy that threw them a lot. Good disc when you could find one in good plastic. Flies similar to how you described what the Mystic is supposed to be.

My major complaint with the Element/ElementX/Scout etc has always been the rim depth. So shallow! Gripping them, I always felt like I was getting the flight of a midrange with the grip comfort of a speed 13 driver. How does the Mystic feel in the hand?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got mine last week and have put them through 72+ regular distance holes. Here is my analysis:

More Fact:

Mystic 176g: Flies like something between a Buzzz & Comet. It is a flat top disc that can get good penetration with not alot of height. It seems to have less glide than my Z-Buzz & Comet. The plastic is beating in really fast from tree hits. Feels great on forehand and backhand and can hit a buttery anny line on either.

Samurai 175g: Flies like beat Crush or new champ Beast. It has an inner bead like the Spectra did. The plastic is also beating in fairly fast. Got some D with it, but felt like less than what I could with a Wraith or Surge. Felt okay on backhand and not okay on forehand.

More Opinion:

Mystic: Flew fine out of the gate and is gettin more understable fast. Unfortunately it does not have a place in my bag between my Comets & Buzzzs. Did not throw as far as either. However I love my 181g E-Series Element!

Samurai: I was sad faced when I found out this had an inner bead like the Spectra. The bead is very unconfortable on forehand. I find that it lead to more shanks and griplocks. It has all the same issues my Spectra did. Shank Bead & Testy on Speed.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
Have you thrown the Element? I have a buddy that threw them a lot. Good disc when you could find one in good plastic. Flies similar to how you described what the Mystic is supposed to be.

My major complaint with the Element/ElementX/Scout etc has always been the rim depth. So shallow! Gripping them, I always felt like I was getting the flight of a midrange with the grip comfort of a speed 13 driver. How does the Mystic feel in the hand?
The depth on mystic is a pinch less than a buzzz. The samurai has about the same as a wraith (not including bead).
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 144 Times in 100 Posts

is your mystic in the s plastic? does it have the round inner rim like the scout? would you call this a scout ss?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

All they have currently is the S plastic. However it feels more like DX. The samurai feels more like a Proline - S plastic crossover. The bottom line is: I hit a few trees and got a few chunks out and a few deep cuts (oak trees round here).

Haven't thrown a scout before. However the mystic looks/feels/throws like a comet-buzzz with less glide

Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Samurai is a proto that is E plastic and it is as stable as a Destroyer but faster and more glide. I throw sidearm and can get it out as far as a DD2, Nuke, or Slayer. I've played about 5 rounds with it and it will stay in my bag as a slight headwind driver, with the Slayer as my primary driver. I don't know if all Samurai are this stable but I realease it on a 10 degree anny line and it comes back every time for a long S.
My Mystic is S plastic and not as stable as my E Elements. I like it for anny flip to straight or let her go flat and have it glide to the left. Have only played 2 rounds with it but I can see where it may have a place in my bag.