Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 AM

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Guidance desired from fellow Lefties

I've recently started back playing disc golf again, the last time was more or less here and there a few holes at a time to now really trying to go full on recreational player. I have noticed the more I play the more control I have during mid range throws and the errors Ive made on putts have been to my own careless mistakes. The one thing I have yet to grasp is a solid tee off. I have multiple distance drivers that I try, adjusting to the natural right fade I seem to have. What I still struggle with is a solid long shot. 90% of the time I either put too much air on the throw or the distance just isnt there to my liking. Do any of yall have any pointers or videos I can watch to have better control on my form?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not a lefty but really, it's all the same. I guess watching rightys teach on videos and such might be a little confusing. If you just search this forum underneath Technique and Strategy, there will be plenty of videos for you to watch.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 220 Times in 95 Posts

Yeah, being a lefty doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the fade at the end of the flight. However, a lot of courses have holes that are more geared for the ending fade to the left because that is how righties throw, which can put lefties in an unfavorable situation.

My advice is to find a decent understable driver (Leopard, Roadrunner, etc.) to start with. These are easier to throw straight and keep from fading out at the end. Also, they are easier to turnover or throw on an anhyzer so they can mimic the typical right-handed throw needed on a lot of holes.

Other than that, field practice will help with form and nose angle issues. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

There are some free extensions for most browsers that will let you flip videos horizontally, might help to do that so you can watch technique videos as though they were made for lefties.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 AM

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the tips. Im not sure if I even posted in the right category so forgive me if I didnt. The park I usually play with, being 10 minutes from my house, is mostly wide open with pine trees throughout (which I appreciate) compared to the tight spaces at a local course called the Flying Dragon in Decatur Alabama. Thanks again for the help
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 69
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Yeah, being a lefty doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the fade at the end of the flight. However, a lot of courses have holes that are more geared for the ending fade to the left because that is how righties throw, which can put lefties in an unfavorable situation.

My advice is to find a decent understable driver (Leopard, Roadrunner, etc.) to start with. These are easier to throw straight and keep from fading out at the end. Also, they are easier to turnover or throw on an anhyzer so they can mimic the typical right-handed throw needed on a lot of holes.

Other than that, field practice will help with form and nose angle issues. Good luck, and have fun!
^This. Understable drivers and mid-ranges will become your best friends. You can throw nice annys with them to get that left turn that you will need on a lot of holes. I love it when righties complain about the one hole that favors lefties. I always have to say "well what about the other 17 holes? You don't hear me complaining!" lol
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

Greetings, fellow lefty.
Depending on how far you throw, even a Leopard or RoadRunner may be too much for you.
Try an X-Stratus, a DX Wedge or maybe an X-Comet.
If you throw these straight and flat, you will get some left-hand turn out of them.
Thrown correctly, you should be able to get 200-250' out of any of these.
If you can do that, try a DX Leopard or a light RR or even a light Mamba for some extra D.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 110
Niced 123 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Greetings, fellow lefty.
Depending on how far you throw, even a Leopard or RoadRunner may be too much for you.
Try an X-Stratus, a DX Wedge or maybe an X-Comet.
If you throw these straight and flat, you will get some left-hand turn out of them.
Thrown correctly, you should be able to get 200-250' out of any of these.
If you can do that, try a DX Leopard or a light RR or even a light Mamba for some extra D.
This dude is reading my mind. As a new LHBH player, I have found the Stratus to be incredible. You can almost mimic a right hander with that. The Comet is another great suggestion, going straight unless you put the anny on it.

For drivers, I have had the most luck with a light Mamba, until I discovered the Lat-64 Diamond. The Diamond can be used as a much longer Stratus when needed, or it can carve beautiful S turns.

Final suggestion (do as I say, not as I do), get a good FH throw. Being able to forehand will allow you to play the righty-friendly holes with ease. Mine is crappy, but I'm an old dog that is resistant to new tricks....

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Watch the Schusterick video in the mirror. As someone who throws left and right backhand(don't call it ambidextrous!) I can honestly say it's all the same, and success at one will translate to success at the other.