Old 05-11-2022, 04:34 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ouch. Watching the latest video where he's immediately telling someone who's paid for a lesson to "spin the leg" hurt to watch.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 37 Times in 28 Posts

I liked him at first, just seemed like an enthusiastic amateur trying to help. His 550' throw doesn't look like a super-windy day or a big elevation change, so I'll take him at his word on that. I suspect he's a reasonably athletic guy that worked at it for a while and figured some stuff out by pure emulation.

But when it became apparent that he was trying to monetize his "slingshot" brand, I tuned out. I'm not good enough to really critique his form, but I was also turned off by his resistance to or deflection of any criticism. He really seems like a saleman now, a "this one trick" guy as observed earlier.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:47 PM

Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts

Youtube recommended this video to me, sounds like the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNt03K9qoSQ

A lot of people commented saying hey this is really hard and not helping so he had to make a second video basically saying keep at it for 4-6 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7Btr6Rg5s

You can see he spins out the back leg too lol
Old 05-13-2022, 04:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

The issue I see with the YT "how to ...." videos on disc golf is that they can be watched at the wrong time. The one this thread is about is an example....who doesn't want to throw 500 feet? I know I would love too....but at the same time, I know one change isn't going to get me from 250 to 500. A beginner isn't going to go from 100 feet to 500 feet by watching that video. There's other things that have to happen first (and probably most importantly you have to have the proper arm swing....my 42 mile per hour noodle arm isn't going to get me 500 feet of distance - ok, maybe it will on a huge downhill roller).

What is needed instead are step-by-step videos, similar to Paul Ulibarri's Scratch-to-Scratch....but his video is mainly directed at one specific person. There are a few video series out there that take things in "order", but they are difficult to find. It would be nice if a pro would create a series:

So You're A Beginner Disc Golfer...
1. All about discs: Plastics, flight numbers, putters, mids. control drivers, distance drivers - oh my!
2. Putting
3. Backhand grip/throw from standstill
<and just keep going in the learning process>

Niced: (1)
Old 05-13-2022, 05:20 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 105 Times in 51 Posts

Ezra Aderhold has a nice short video on his Youtube channel, "What to do with your left arm (for more power)".

The trouble I have with disc golf instruction is the one size fits all approach. This notion that they all do essentially the same thing. If you watch the top players you'll see alot of variation from the back of the teepad through the follow through. They have found what works for them, but what works for Tristan Tanner is not what works for James Conrad and it may not work for you. If what you're doing is not working, and you have decent form, it can be very difficult to identify what needs to be changed.

Lastly, throwing a disc at high speeds is a very athletic act requiring great timing and coordination. So, we should all manage our expectations. It's as unrealistic to think you can teach someone to throw 500' as it is to say you can teach someone to throw a 95 mph fastball. You may improve their form, but that doesn't mean you'll improve their performance.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:24 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post

So You're A Beginner Disc Golfer...
1. All about discs: Plastics, flight numbers, putters, mids. control drivers, distance drivers - oh my!
2. Putting
3. Backhand grip/throw from standstill
<and just keep going in the learning process>
Pretty sure Brychanus is essentially doing this on his channel.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 379 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzo44 View Post
Pretty sure Brychanus is essentially doing this on his channel.
Thanks - I'm admittedly very "by an Am for Ams there." It's not perfect and I'll be amending stuff over time, but hopefully it'll help get some people started and find their way to seabas and other great content. Of course, I'm not a pro and still learning a ton, so it'll be weird to look back at it in the coming years.

I'll be really interested to see how the market for structured instruction grows over time from pro coaches though. Different styles will appeal to different people too. Scratch for scratch is cool but of course it omits a lot. And people toward the top of any game can of course charge top dollar for their instruction.

Inevitably I think more and more of the instructional content (and especially coaching) will end up behind paywalls as the sport grows. It'll be fascinating to see what the next few years bring.

I feel really lucky to have discovered DG at such an important time in its development and feel indebted to so many of the people here who have a part in it.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,960 Times in 4,014 Posts

Quite an athlete.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 05-19-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 33.7
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

Hi, my name is Surly, and I am a long-suffering, strong-armer.

I try to find anything, anywhere that might help me improve my form. This nugget from one of his videos has stayed with me and done just that:

"You're loose. You are so unbelievably loose, and then I bet you are actually still not that loose. So now get even double loose, triple loose."

For some reason, I chuckle a little every time I think on it, too