Old 03-11-2020, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMan9 View Post
That back leg is a huge eye opener. When you say that the “rear knee flexes into the plant,” does that mean the front toes should be on the ground and the knee flexing causes the heel to come down or that the rear knee flex is what causes the forward movement to the plant?
Just like walking or running. If your trailing knee remains extended when you plant into the front heel, you can't shift balance/weight onto the leading foot, it will drag weight back when remaining extended. Your rear knee should be extended or extending to push off the foot with plantar flexion and then go into knee flexion to shift weight/pressure off the rear foot and allow it to swing forward. The rear knee extended on the x-step also allows your front leg to stride/swing forward unimpeded without having to pick the leg up and can hang relaxed from the hip.

The front foot doesn't have to be on the ground during the rear leg action, just like a pitcher making a big stride/stance, or can be on ground if you are in a narrow stance/stride like a batter. It alls depends on how fast you are moving or your stride/stance like running vs walking.

Try this, stand upright like military position heels under hips, forget about dg or throwing or closed stance for a minute. Your knees should be about fully extended but not locked out, now push your heels up off the ground with plantar flexion. Feel how your center of gravity rises by using your feet against the ground. Not your knees. You can spring your CoG with the feet.

Now try and flex your knees and remain crouched and try and push your heels up off the ground with plantar flexion. It will be very weak and slow! Crouching is really inefficient. If only use your knee extension to raise your CoG you can't get as high as using your feet and is much slower and don't get much spring action or really engage your muscles in the calf and butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

Sponsored Links

Last edited by sidewinder22; 03-11-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:19 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Did some work with a straighter back leg today. Still not as straight as it probably should be, but I hit 300’ for the first time in a long time! I still feel like I’m not getting too much from my lower body, though, not feeling the uncoiling effect.

https://youtu.be/yNFbSRHCAW8
Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

Looking better. I can't tell if your camera is at a weird angle or you are throwing way across your stance. Camera behind tee might help more than side of tee.

Note how Markus's shoulder stays loaded back going into the heel plant so his butt/weight is still pulling his shoulder/arm/disc back taut to door frame and shifting everything balanced to the front leg. You are pushing your upper body/shoulder over and trying to pull the door frame by going over the top your front leg. If your front leg gave out you would fall over head first while Markus would fall butt first targetward.

You will need to walk your stance out targetward in door frame drill. Markus's rear foot would be much closer to target than yours to get the shoulder pulled back toward rear knee. Stride the front foot/butt forward together, your front foot shouldn't really be on the weighted ground until your about maxed out from the rear foot driving forward. When you release hand from door frame you should sudden drop most your weight into front heel/crush can and rear foot should automatically deweight - no more pushing from rear foot after releasing door frame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.06.50 PM copy.jpg (75.4 KB, 20 views)

Old 03-15-2020, 11:44 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMan9 View Post
Did some work with a straighter back leg today. Still not as straight as it probably should be, but I hit 300 for the first time in a long time! I still feel like Im not getting too much from my lower body, though, not feeling the uncoiling effect.

https://youtu.be/yNFbSRHCAW8
When you start bringing your disc forward you almost immediately pull the disc to your upper left pec and raise you right shoulder. Your leading elbow is almost at shoulder height whereas most pros keep the disc and elbow lower (Avery being an exception). If you were to attempt to knock down a burning door you would keep your elbow lower for the most power.