Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 118 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Comet!

I don't think the meteor is a good choice, I used to like the disc but once you hit a certain power level it doesn't hold a true line it will turn so you go to little hyzer flips rather than a flat throw. I always wanted a rare Crystal Meteor though, I figured that would be good...(they didn't make it in Z) now they have production run Z.. Makes me curious because of previous good times but it's no Comet, I couldn't imagine going back.

You can also get a Comet in Glow Z plastic one of my personal favorites. Nice blend and you can play in the dark!

Always copied, never duplicated.. Get one and you can become....

A Cometeer!
Comets turn too, after a while, even Z/Glow. But a little turn is good for versatility. A comet will fly in a unique way, but it will not unlock disc golf holes that any of a million other discs can't.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 931 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Comets turn too, after a while, even Z/Glow. But a little turn is good for versatility. A comet will fly in a !!!UNIQUE!!! way, but it will not unlock disc golf holes that any of a million other discs can't.
Yes, yes it does. Come over here, stand 2m (six feet away) and I will cut your tongue or fingers off for such blasphemy.

Sorry you forgot to capitalize unique. FTFY and added some flair, you don't have enough "flair"

I strike thee down in the name of the Cometeers !!!!!!
(And away I go on a frozen rope)

Niced: (3)
Old 03-24-2020, 01:18 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 925 Times in 773 Posts

From Innova.

I would pick the Star Spider, DX seems to be currently oop and for discs the slightly puffy Star compared to DX will work just fine for non putting needs. The mold is basically a lower profile wider wing version of a putter being the small diameter midrange, something nice as putters fly well for straight shots.

The other for more plastic choice is the Skeeter also a putter type shape disc, a disc that is in all plastics listed on standard Innova website except R-Pro. R-Pro and Pro disappeared from the Innova midrange lineup in mid 2010's sometime.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-24-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,322 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
From Innova.

I would pick the Star Spider, DX seems to be currently oop and for discs the slightly puffy Star compared to DX will work just fine for non putting needs. The mold is basically a lower profile wider wing version of a putter being the small diameter midrange, something nice as putters fly well for straight shots.

The other for more plastic choice is the Skeeter also a putter type shape disc, a disc that is in all plastics listed on standard Innova website except R-Pro. R-Pro and Pro disappeared from the Innova midrange lineup in mid 2010's sometime.
Per the Innova website, Star Spiders are out of production. AGAIN, do not come to help new players with misinformation, it is not helpful.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 18
Niced 255 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalejKugi View Post
Hey guys,

Mids: Been looking at Mako3 or Buzzz. I feel like I can make some turny approaches with my Aviar X3, so I would be looking either for one versatile disk or one as straight as possible (Mako3) - something that flies like a putter but gives me more distance and one understable like Meteor maybe? My forehand is trash so I would like to learn some anhyzers, since these are very needed at our local DG course
Overall, my technique leaves a lot to be desired, and my hands are very small for my size (being 6 feet tall). Also, I dont have much power in my shots, but that probably comes down to the technique a lot...

Thank you very much!
There are so many options and I'm not going to try to steer you towards any particular one mold because you're clearly still getting your footing and what you like today could easily change tomorrow, but it sounds like you would benefit from a turnover shot since "My forehand is trash so I would like to learn some anhyzers"

You mention a meteor, and I think you'll like it, though I personally like the Sol better. The Sol is a tad smaller and has virtually no fade on it. Both of these discs will fly straight at really low power, and both of these will hold a decent anhyzer line at low speeds. You'll be able to hyzerflip both right away if you can get your drives up to 240 feet. Why that's good is that not only will you see the extra distance you pick up when the disc flips, you'll also get a long floating turnover (the big right turn you're seeking)
You can achieve similar results with the more versatile comet (like others have noted) but the comet also comes with a sharp bead (dealbreaker for me). You can put more power behind a comet and the comet responds well. You can learn a lot from a comet. A mako3 is a laser straight disc and it holds both hyzer and anhyzer lines. I used to swear by the mako3, but as I grew into the buzzz world, I left it behind. Now I use a stable (Z-flx) and understable (seasoned elite-x) buzzz combination for low to medium straight line shots and medium hyzer/anhyzer lines. For low speed anny lines and turnovers though, I still love my sol.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 925 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Per the Innova website, Star Spiders are out of production. AGAIN, do not come to help new players with misinformation, it is not helpful.
Well in that case the Spider is completely out of production as you can't find DX either anymore.

Sorry I Made a mistake

Then I would pick just the Skeeter. It will be a good choice for Midrange.