Old 03-20-2020, 04:36 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What causes "a dip" on my drive?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help here. I've been playing few years and my biggest struggles are from the tee. I think that I've managed to get to the point when I don't feel like I'm strong arming the disc and starting to access the power through my hips and core. (at least I feel that way)

The throws are leaving often nose up and I think that the reason for that is the "dip" that I have on my drive. Where does this dip come from and how to eliminate it?

I figured it could be one or both of these things:
1) My X-step is too long, turning my hips / direction too early and forces the arm to lag too far behind my throw and throwing my plant foot too far offset. On the video it also looks a bit of "horse stance" on the rear foot, maybe the same reason behind it?
2) The elbow is not leading the drive and the noodle arm is lagging too far behind.

There are probably tons of other issues on my drive, but I'm not sure what to fix next and how.

This drive (shryke) went around 300-330ft and that's about my max distance.
https://youtu.be/zn3vDCPinOk

Your help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

#1. Need to move more sideways and linear to target, instead of backwards and to left tee side. You land behind your front heel and move your body into the way/across your swing space.

I think in door frame drill your stance would be going across the door frame and you would be pulling the door frame with your shoulders going into plant, instead of your weight or hips moving laterally to target and pulling the shoulder further back into plant.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328
Old 03-20-2020, 05:37 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 925 Times in 773 Posts

the upper body needs to be first before you get to the release pointed with the hip forward or at least straight that is the big one it is very close on that. Second is the legs are too wide in the plant during the X step for the one leg spin so you almost have to stop before the throw, that looks like video is slowed down a tiny bit during this part in regular speed also does not loo comfortable. Also what is your non throwing off axis hand doing? The non throwing arm seems out, that needs to be up tucked more to the body somehow with elbow bent until the disc is released , otherwise there ends up being some wasted motion with a flailing arm.

Now on to the Dip, yes the flight might not be flat but look at how Simon Lizotte throws in a slow motion video and it is not full on flat but rather he throws on an angle for most throws for distance. I do to when throwing at 90% to 100% power using an fairly OS disc. More Neutral to slight US I use a straighter throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3pc9uI2s1s not Simon but the other guy in the first slow motion is shown well.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:55 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the tips guys.
Next steps for me is to get the direction of the movement more in line and focusing also on the off hand.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:10 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

i think the "dip" comes from reaching back too high... maybe you give that a try:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arm-angle.jpg (39.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:21 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

and yes, i think your x-step is not 100% right....but also not too wrong!

i think you need to find the rhythm... i found it with danny lindahls help...didn't turn the backfoot the wrong way, but never did it right until i found this video i linked.

don't worry about the beginning, where he's talking about walking backwards. that looks ok and will get better over time, just keep staying on your toes!

you'll get the rhythm by doing a very much smaller x-step than you think and make a bigger plant step. the time the bigger step takes you straighten the leg...that makes it bigger automatically... starts at 1:37
Old 03-29-2020, 10:55 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 925 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraping Micha View Post
and yes, i think your x-step is not 100% right....but also not too wrong!

i think you need to find the rhythm... i found it with danny lindahls help...didn't turn the backfoot the wrong way, but never did it right until i found this video i linked.

don't worry about the beginning, where he's talking about walking backwards. that looks ok and will get better over time, just keep staying on your toes!

you'll get the rhythm by doing a very much smaller x-step than you think and make a bigger plant step. the time the bigger step takes you straighten the leg...that makes it bigger automatically... starts at 1:37
I will back up the smaller X step and a bigger Plant, though not a really wide plant step or you are then stretching too far and slowing the momentum of the X step to plant and throw part. Just how wide you need for plant step is not an exact distance but rather based on your leg length and for some speed/distance you are throwing the disc.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:31 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

right, its not a too big step...its just big enough to stop your body from moving further forward by locking the hips and putting the momentum in the turn of your spine.

for me it came together with the really small x-step. almost too small for the speed you are walking up. that makes you kind of "fall" into the brace.

and it works perfectly with dannys "rhythm".