Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I finally got some solo time out in a field so wanted to post some results and get some guidance.

I tried some with actual throwing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaywKLjvHEw
I also tried some without throwing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUiKVhpDZ4w

I am trying to work on rotating through the hips without flexing both knees. Not sure how successful that has been so far.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

Alrighty, now you have gone to the opposite extreme and throwing radically upward by folding over rear leg in backswing and reaching down and then standing up out of posture in forward swing. Need to find some middle ground. Focus on remaining in dynamic balance to the swing and letting go the arm/disc back and forth.

You should be getting temporarily taller in backswing and levitating the arm/disc, abandoning it to use it's weight going forward like chopping a tree with an axe. You should be dropping or falling slightly downward into the plant.

Your head is moving more than your hips, so you aren't shifting your hips or weight pressure properly. If you stand normal like waiting in line or concert and your foot starts hurting, you naturally shift your weight pressure effortlessly to the opposite foot by bending the hurting knee and straightening the opposite knee so your weight shifts pressure by moving subtly rather than trying to make a big leap off the foot or throwing the head around.

This is the movement pattern you need to work on, swinging very easy and shifting effortlessly back and forth, note how the upper body remains more centered between the feet while shifting in dynamic balance completely as the swing goes past the foot and starts rising back up in the pendulum. I'm not trying to make any crazy bending over or jumping up movement. Nice and relaxed and smooth and pulled taut like ball on string, but not too tense or sloppy or jerky or creating slack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s

Find some tall grass or weeds and try slashing thru with the disc.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Haha alright. I will go work on this tomorrow and try and find some middle ground. Thank you for all the help!
Old 03-29-2020, 01:09 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Trying to watch videos and then make myself do it in real life is apparently much harder than I thought it would be. Here I am trying to shift weight without turning it into a crouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdnW5RHo6D4
Old 03-29-2020, 02:05 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 78 Times in 67 Posts

You need to let go of the arm/disc (relax it) and let it swing from your shoulder like a big pendulum. This is going to show you how you can use your arm like a big whip, and somewhere around the bottom of the swing you’ll feel the discs inertia/heaviness. If you can’t feel it with the disc, try picking up a hammer and doing the same motion that SW shows in the slow motion video.

When you swing something heavier, you’ll feel your arm getting pulled by the weight of the hammer. This will show you how taut/loose your arm needs to be, and it will also show how you can throw that weight you are now feeling out to the target.

When you are swinging the weight/disc, your body should naturally rotate as you follow the weighted pendulum all the way to the top of the backswing and back down and then out to the target, just like a grand father clock. This is feeling leverage in its most extreme form, a pure pendulum. Once you’ve felt what that’s like, you can adjust for a less extreme hyzer plane.

Another way to feel this is to pick up a disc and do a windmill with it right up high over your head. Follow that big circle movement and no imagine throwing it out to the target at the end. The goal of this is keep your arm nice and taut. You should almost be able to control your entire backswing and forward swing.

You can do all these just standstill, no step needed. Make sure that you are on your plant leg before you start your downswing.

And finally; if you throw the hammer/disc, release it targetward, this will likely feel very wide away for you, the hammer will quickly show you where to release.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:56 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

i think it will help you a lot, if you don't overreach... you are pulling too far back, that way you spine bends kind of sideways and everything is off time.
and a alightly wider stance.
and don't try to lift your backfoot on purpose so high. if it is so, ok, but don't exaggerate. it a tiny movement, wich helps to move in target direction... your foot should move "behind" your body for a splitzsecond before waving around. think about professional bowlers...they use there back leg for the same purpose...and to keep balance after the throw... but the brace is most important!

check loop ghost for that! i learned it that way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eULzMfHKyvA

get that down and the rest will follow.

next video take more distance to be able to see your feet as well! footwork is key!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

oh, that pendulumthing, arm swing to reachback thing...

i had great success with keeping my arm straight during the runup... that way a take one hinge out of play, which couses proplems in keeping the "plane" during the pull in the powerpocket.

https://youtu.be/EL_1Ad7YhcQ?t=35
how to put in yt videos??

Last edited by Scraping Micha; 03-29-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=135848