Old 03-18-2020, 09:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 255 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
Oddly enough, throwing an OS distance driver hasn't been as successful as an OS control/fairway driver. I think because of the grip I use I get more roll/snap off my fingers with a less-narrow rim, but I could be wrong.

I picked up something from a video of JC Kester and want to try it today. Hopefully it adds a couple feet lol
I still think you should try a Flick... but you might try an Anax. It's rated speed 10, but the rim is only 1.9cm (very similar to the speed 7 XXX at 2.0cm) and way narrower than the 2.5 cm Nuke. The Flick is also a 2.1 like the XXX.
The thing about the Anax is if you can get it up to speed, it picks up another wind. It feels a bit like my raptor on steroids. On the other hand, you can only get it in the mid 170 weights.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 28 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I still think you should try a Flick... but you might try an Anax. It's rated speed 10, but the rim is only 1.9cm (very similar to the speed 7 XXX at 2.0cm) and way narrower than the 2.5 cm Nuke. The Flick is also a 2.1 like the XXX.
The thing about the Anax is if you can get it up to speed, it picks up another wind. It feels a bit like my raptor on steroids. On the other hand, you can only get it in the mid 170 weights.
I'll be sure to try both of those. I was also contemplating a Daredevil Sabertooth. The limited weight options are alright, my XXX's are currently @ 175ish anyway. I'd like to have an opto x in that but can't find one at any of the stores.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 18
Niced 255 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
I'll be sure to try both of those. I was also contemplating a Daredevil Sabertooth. The limited weight options are alright, my XXX's are currently @ 175ish anyway. I'd like to have an opto x in that but can't find one at any of the stores.
I love Daredevil... I have not tried a sabertooth, but I bag both the mammoth and the Ogopogo, which are variants of the same mold in different plastic. I'll say this about Daredevil's flight numbers: they usually seem to be very optimistic on the fade value. Based on my experience with both the mammoth and the Ogopogo, I expect the sabertooth to play a lot closer to a fresh Discraft Raptor (9/4/0/3) or slightly beat Predator (9/4/0/4) than the Flick (9/4/1/4)
Old 03-18-2020, 01:43 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I love Daredevil... I have not tried a sabertooth, but I bag both the mammoth and the Ogopogo, which are variants of the same mold in different plastic. I'll say this about Daredevil's flight numbers: they usually seem to be very optimistic on the fade value. Based on my experience with both the mammoth and the Ogopogo, I expect the sabertooth to play a lot closer to a fresh Discraft Raptor (9/4/0/3) or slightly beat Predator (9/4/0/4) than the Flick (9/4/1/4)
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. I literally just went through Infinite's disc matrix to find some meathooks.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:51 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 925 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:

A buddy of mine mentioned an Ape. He lost a MF ape that he loved and that's where the conversation started. Oddly enough, throwing an OS distance driver hasn't been as successful as an OS control/fairway driver. I think because of the grip I use I get more roll/snap off my fingers with a less-narrow rim, but I could be wrong.

I picked up something from a video of JC Kester and want to try it today. Hopefully it adds a couple feet lol
Then try a Viper or the Innova Limited run X style Star Whippet. The Viper is a OS and even has a positive turn, though both the Viper and current limited run Whippet are more midrange feel type of OS Fairway. The Whippet with the X rim has a wing shape that is suited well for a Thumb'er/Tomahawk grip.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Then try a Viper or the Innova Limited run X style Star Whippet. The Viper is a OS and even has a positive turn, though both the Viper and current limited run Whippet are more midrange feel type of OS Fairway. The Whippet with the X rim has a wing shape that is suited well for a Thumb'er/Tomahawk grip.
I'll definitely add those to the list!

Niced: (1)

Old 04-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
The forum was due for another interesting "I can bomb" thread. This time 400ft with a tomahawk throw. I saw a guy throw 400+ the other day with an aerobie epic. Amazing to watch. Let's see some vid if you get a chance.
Finally got a chance to get a bit of tape when i was experimenting. The wind wasn't much of a help and my elbow was a bit sore.
First throw was with a Flick, second was with my XXX anf the third was a Lat 64 Pioneer. Im thinking the Pioneer will get me some distance over the XXX based on this.
I also threw a Force, Nitro, Starlite Firebird, and Boss to warm up a bit. If I hit anything over 400 that i get on tape I'll be sure to put it up.

https://youtu.be/hzWZ--ENXwA