Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
That seems like a good way to reduce the life of the concrete - but that depends on the freeze-thaw nature of the climate its in I suppose. I'd be really interested in seeing what this pad looks like in 10 years. I wonder what it'll be like when the grooves inevitably fill with dirt.

I kind of think that a better solution for when concrete pads become too smooth is to apply a turf tee much like the DGP turf tees but there really isn't a product on the market like that I am aware of.
I've been playing there for more than 10 years. The tees were that way the first time I was out there. The course was put in back in the 80s. Not sure when the concrete tees went in, but they've had at least 10 years of midwest freeze/thaw since the grooves went in.

This course has a dedicated steward who has worked tirelessly to maintain, upgrade and beautify the course. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cleaning the tees periodically, as I agree that the grooves would inevitably get filled in with dirt, but I've never seen them that way.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 84
Niced 1,355 Times in 590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
I've been playing there for more than 10 years. The tees were that way the first time I was out there. The course was put in back in the 80s. Not sure when the concrete tees went in, but they've had at least 10 years of midwest freeze/thaw since the grooves went in.

This course has a dedicated steward who has worked tirelessly to maintain, upgrade and beautify the course. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cleaning the tees periodically, as I agree that the grooves would inevitably get filled in with dirt, but I've never seen them that way.
That's interesting - and a little surprising. Good to hear that it's working though. Wouldn't have thought that would be the case especially in the midwest.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 236 Times in 128 Posts

Frank Grimes cut those grooves at Channahon after the pads were set. That took a lot of time to do. Unfortunately Frank is no longer the course maintainer there.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 672 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I have seen on a course that they used quickcret or other quick type concrete to fix a broken cracked teapad. This works and you can eveen pave over the whole surface if need be. As long you do it right using the right tools, small smoothing tools for small and the large floor model for the whole tee pad the spots or whole thing should smooth enough to use if one works quick. The pads were not made right for winter with the reinforcing of the perpendicular sets of the round bars I forget the name.
Name of the stuff is rebar and they never put it in at Omaha Park in Rapid City back in the early 1980's so they did the Quickcrete or other quick type concrete to fix the pads and most after first one they did was not bad and worked. dumb thing is on one worn super smooth the local club put the quick rite on it when they could have just done other things. Now they have new pads at Omaha park in Rapid City since the mid 2000's if they did not get redone in 2015 when they started the new basket replacement of the Original home made ones from the 1980's.

The other I have seen is putting the paves on top of the old concrete pads with mortar to hold them down and building up the surrounding area with fill dirt or wood chips. I forget the course but it was one I played on vacation.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-24-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 127 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Name of the stuff is rebar and they never put it in at Omaha Park in Rapid City back in the early 1980's so they did the Quickcrete or other quick type concrete to fix the pads and most after first one they did was not bad and worked. dumb thing is on one worn super smooth the local club put the quick rite on it when they could have just done other things. Now they have new pads at Omaha park in Rapid City since the mid 2000's if they did not get redone in 2015 when they started the new basket replacement of the Original home made ones from the 1980's.

The other I have seen is putting the paves on top of the old concrete pads with mortar to hold them down and building up the surrounding area with fill dirt or wood chips. I forget the course but it was one I played on vacation.
I saw a video of some guys using steel mesh in teepads instead of rebar. Anyone else heard of this? Ive only had experience in larger pours where rebar is the only option.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
These have been used by Terry Calhoun on his private course for a while now. I would venture that a few SE Michigan players on here could provide some feedback. I have not played on them.

I got to use some a few weekends ago. Super grippy, no slipping at all. I like them.

Niced: (1)