#21  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:47 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,861
Niced 1,536 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
So far, the best argument for Mach 3 are:

1. they are classic
2. they are fine
3. they sound good when your putt cuts through chains and lands behind the basket
It is your job to put the disc in the basket, not the baskets job to accommodate your putt.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,098
Niced 562 Times in 284 Posts
Default

I said it before but maybe try to convince them to go with Mach Vs if they are dead set on DGA at that price point. I have never had any cut throughs or spit outs in the 8 years I have had one.

Also, I think the complaints you hear about Mach III's and Chainstars are likely because there a lot of courses using 15 year old corroded or off balance targets that should be replaced.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,861
Niced 1,536 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
I said it before but maybe try to convince them to go with Mach Vs if they are dead set on DGA at that price point. I have never had any cut throughs or spit outs in the 8 years I have had one.

Also, I think the complaints you hear about Mach III's and Chainstars are likely because there a lot of courses using 15 year old corroded or off balance targets that should be replaced.
I think it is likely that you can't make everyone happy and baskets are a prime scapegoat for a missed putt. IMO, it is really never the baskets fault....or wind, or the talkative card-mate or....

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-10-2019, 04:13 PM
riltim riltim is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 811
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts
Default

A disc golf basket is like a basketball hoop. Chains are the backboard and the cage (rim/net) is the real target. A basketball backboard has a sweet spot that you need to hit with a certain speed or you aren't likely to make it. If basketball hoops evolved like disc golf baskets currently are you'd see 200+ point games.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Jenga54's Avatar
Jenga54 Jenga54 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,947
Niced 345 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
It is your job to put the disc in the basket, not the baskets job to accommodate your putt.
Your argument can't be that baskets aren't designed to catch discs right? Sure they are, or there would have been no reason to move on from Mach 1 baskets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
I said it before but maybe try to convince them to go with Mach Vs if they are dead set on DGA at that price point. I have never had any cut throughs or spit outs in the 8 years I have had one.

Also, I think the complaints you hear about Mach III's and Chainstars are likely because there a lot of courses using 15 year old corroded or off balance targets that should be replaced.
I did recommend Mach V if at all possible if we need to stick to that budget, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think it is likely that you can't make everyone happy and baskets are a prime scapegoat for a missed putt. IMO, it is really never the baskets fault....or wind, or the talkative card-mate or....
We can still try to make more people happy, especially if it's just a flick of the pen on ordering what the people want. Why else would we build courses for free?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,755
Niced 478 Times in 256 Posts
Default

I prefer the original DGA baskets, the single layer ones. Whenever I find an old course with old baskets I always have the best time.

Modern smash putting is diseased.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,013
Niced 2,094 Times in 789 Posts
Default

Mach III hate kinda amuses me. I was watching a thing where Eric McCabe said he couldn't hyzer putt when he was learning to play in the 90's because you can't hyzer putt on Mach III's. Climo hyzer putted a lot. They are not nearly as bad as their reputation. I've watched guys barely tick chains and then complain that the Mach III didn't catch their putt. Uh...try making a good putt first, then complain if the basket doesn't catch it.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy them new put them on a course now because there are better baskets now and the price point isn't enough of a savings to want to stick with the old basket design. It would be like buying a new car that doesn't have airbags and only saving $100 off the cost of the car. Why would you do that?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM
riltim riltim is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 811
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts
Default

I agree with Three Putt that they aren't the best for a new installation, even though they are still decent baskets. Perhaps contact some manufacturers and try to get decent pricing, plead your case like you did here. Maybe they can work with you on some decent pricing to get their baskets in instead of the Mach III's.

Even at $40 more per baskets that's $720 additional for the course. Being someone who revamped a course I see that $720 as 3+ additional teepads lost on higher end baskets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM
roggenb3's Avatar
roggenb3 roggenb3 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madtown
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 132
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,715
Niced 925 Times in 492 Posts
Default

I'll take III's over V's every day, twice on Sunday.

Mach V's have the biggest holes of any of the major manufacturer's baskets, and that giant ring the chains connect to acts like a pendulum to swing your disc right out of the basket.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,098
Niced 562 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I'll take III's over V's every day, twice on Sunday.

Mach V's have the biggest holes of any of the major manufacturer's baskets, and that giant ring the chains connect to acts like a pendulum to swing your disc right out of the basket.
Weird, I've never noticed any holes or pendulum action on mine. Are you thinking of the Mach 2? It's basically the same basket but with lighter chains.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Prices for Mach X or Discatcher Pro 28 baskets Mr. Butlertron Other Gear 8 01-28-2019 01:39 PM
Mach baskets enragedmullet Other Gear 22 12-07-2017 07:58 PM
ALL Mach baskets should be outlawed in pro tournaments! SD86 General Disc Golf Chat 416 04-25-2017 10:19 PM
Mach X Baskets Nemmers Other Gear 42 04-06-2014 01:33 PM
Chainstar and dga Mach 3 baskets local MI only boostfreek The Marketplace 7 08-08-2012 09:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.