Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Trip to Texas???

Hey I'm starting to plan a trip to anywhere far from here. I live in central Minnesota and was thinking if making a 5 day or week long trip to Texas or really anywhere worth going to for just disc golf. Any suggestions? I was thinking Talco Texas since this site has 2 courses in the too ten in that city. But definitely open for anywhere outside the Midwest.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 398
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 721 Times in 266 Posts

There are several hot spots for disc golf in Texas. All the big metro areas have a bunch of nice courses.

I lived in Austin for a few years, if you head that way, I can recommend these courses. Circle C @ slaughter creek - top 5 rated for state on this site, scenic, challenging and with good hole variety. Austin Ridge Bible Church, a very challenging John Houck course with a couple holes having 100 foot elevation changes. Not sure if you're familiar with this designer, but he also designed the courses in Talco. Zilker Park DGC, more of an average course but near the heart of downtown Austin's night life. Zilker Park is in the crown jewel of the Austin park system and has amazing views of downtown. In addition, there are lots of interesting stuff to do besides disc golf including visiting barton springs. East Metro and Roy G, in the metro area are also top state rated courses, but i never played them.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 230 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acduber17 View Post
Hey I'm starting to plan a trip to anywhere far from here. I live in central Minnesota and was thinking if making a 5 day or week long trip to Texas or really anywhere worth going to for just disc golf. Any suggestions? I was thinking Talco Texas since this site has 2 courses in the too ten in that city. But definitely open for anywhere outside the Midwest.
If you head to Talco you will have 4 top-notch courses nearby - the Texas Twist courses and Selah Ranch. Plus less than an hour away is a couple of Dallas's best - Harry Myers right off the highway to Talco, and a little farther south of town are three really solid courses almost on top of each other in Cedar Hill. Lots of good golf in DFW, even if the locals tend to over rate the in-city courses a little.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:29 PM

Courses Played: 45
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

We've got some great courses around Houston also.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

If you're already coming to Selah and Deuce, play those and travel a bit south to hit up Tyler, Texas. Lindsey Park has three great courses all in one large park, and UT Tyler also has a neat course. If you wanna keep a southern direction, Nacogdoches has 3 dang good courses , and they're all different, from flat floodplain to lakefront cliffs. Dallas probably has the largest concentration of courses, but definitely start your Texas Trip at Selah and Deuce in Talco.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 1417
Niced 175 Times in 62 Posts

Question about Houston courses.

But first, my heartfelt concern regarding the recent flooding.

Now, what is the current status of Houston's courses? And Beaumont's course, too? How badly are they affected by the floods? I have had a trip planned for Houston from September 21st until the end of the month. Should I scrap that idea and maybe head up to Dallas instead?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acduber17 View Post
Austin has some great courses. Circle C, Zilker, Met Center, Mary Moore Searight, and Roy g Guerrero are all great courses. Good luck with your trip!

Old 07-21-2019, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 318
Niced 403 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkyrie Kid View Post
I have had a trip planned for Houston from September 21st until the end of the month.
If you do get down around (north of) Houston, be sure to have Shawshank on your itinerary! You'll love it.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 484
Niced 65 Times in 19 Posts

If you're driving, and happen to pass by Lake Nacogdoches, I also recommend stopping there!

Old 07-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 41
Niced 51 Times in 31 Posts

Odd necro bump.

Also, why would you go to Texas from Minnesota in the Summer? Best to do that in the winter.