Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 212 Times in 140 Posts

Good luck having any high level events on the west coast then! It reminds me of when Nick Diaz fought Takanori Gomi in Japan and won, the drug tests came back and Diaz tested positive for marijuana, and his win got reversed. How Marijuana is classified as an "enhancing" drug is beyond me!

Also for certain doping agencies even higher levels of caffeine and other seemingly arbitrary substances are banned.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,066 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
They will not be testing for pot. What would the point of that be?
Er... to catch people using pot.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. )
Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 510 Times in 242 Posts

Lol

I remember a story about James Conrad sleeping in a tent on tour through the cold and rain. How many NFL players or Track Olympians crawl out of a muddy culvert before showing up to their events?

Let them smoke weed 24/7 and chew fistfuls of adderall for all I care, most touring DGers are like two steps above homeless. f whoever wants to make their lives more difficult or less enjoyable without any of the compensation that similarly policed athletes enjoy. This is Disc Golf not track & field. Gtfo with the pee cups and paperwork until you put another digit or two in their paycheck.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 275 Times in 137 Posts

Unless Stockholm or Helsinki are planning Olympic bids in 2032 I doubt DG will be in the Olympics

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2018, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,301 Times in 394 Posts

This thread is officially more of an over-reaction to a piece of news than anything in the free agency spectrum lol.

I'm quite sure they're just exploring different avenues for how to navigate the sport as it grows from the Organization's standpoint. The PDGA currently sends 2 people to support National Tour events, to assume that they're going to begin an anti-PED campaign would be to forget that their biggest issue with their current structure is enforcement.

Also...for so many reasons (even beyond the obvious jokes), they're not going after cannabis users. It's long been a DQ-able offense to consume cannabis during events, and there's really no rationale for bumping that up in light of the changing attitudes and waves of legalization across the country.

I'll put it this way - if they actually implement drug testing routines for cannabis, with punishments like big sports leagues have, I'll pull an Elon Musk on The Upshot.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 221 Times in 104 Posts

Ok I am going to play devil's advocate here:

In any competitive sport isn't it necessary and desired to have the "playing field be equal?" Cannabis, adderrall or any other form of chemical modification to the mind or body tilts the playing field. Having said that, we are talking about annual six figure income and multi year million dollar contracts. The pressure to attain those paydays is only going to increase moving forward and the temptation to augment ones innate and hard earned skills will also increase. Isn't it best to get out ahead of this before it could become an in issue? Having no formal policy or enforcement regimen is essentially adopting an "anything goes" policy.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,662 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
Ok I am going to play devil's advocate here:

In any competitive sport isn't it necessary and desired to have the "playing field be equal?" Cannabis, adderrall or any other form of chemical modification to the mind or body tilts the playing field. Having said that, we are talking about annual six figure income and multi year million dollar contracts. The pressure to attain those paydays is only going to increase moving forward and the temptation to augment ones innate and hard earned skills will also increase. Isn't it best to get out ahead of this before it could become an in issue? Having no formal policy or enforcement regimen is essentially adopting an "anything goes" policy.
Performance enhancing drugs = better performances to watch.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 509
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 132 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I shared this link to the North Alabama Facebook page and received one Like.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Performance enhancing drugs = better performances to watch.
...Or cheating.

I don't agree that cannabis is a ped. I always encourage my competion to get as stoned or drunk as they want.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Par Member

Niced 106 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
...Or cheating.

I don't agree that cannabis is a ped. I always encourage my competion to get as stoned or drunk as they want.
Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.