#51  
Old 11-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Docxen Docxen is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 213
Niced 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
Lets ask Paul for his advice
if i could get good i wouldn't be asking newb questions
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 AM
DesertFox's Avatar
DesertFox DesertFox is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pineywoods Country, TX
Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 449
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
if i could get good i wouldn't be asking newb questions
Im just ribbing ya Docxen, to answer your question im assuming you play at a local course that has elevation near a basket or two. Either get the softest plastic in a putter you can handle or use a lid like that birdie and learn to loft throw flat to the ground. That will help immediately. Over time though the real solution is to just manipulate the angles and speed of your regular discs to minimize the risk of rollaways, skips, and slides. The best advice though is to accept that even when you think youve done enough, things will still happen. Its a part of the game. Cheers and dont forget to have fun out there!

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Docxen Docxen is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 213
Niced 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
Im just ribbing ya Docxen, to answer your question im assuming you play at a local course that has elevation near a basket or two. Either get the softest plastic in a putter you can handle or use a lid like that birdie and learn to loft throw flat to the ground. That will help immediately. Over time though the real solution is to just manipulate the angles and speed of your regular discs to minimize the risk of rollaways, skips, and slides. The best advice though is to accept that even when you think youve done enough, things will still happen. Its a part of the game. Cheers and dont forget to have fun out there!
oh i do and i was just funning back a bit. But not a basket or two it's most of the baskets check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=902. And i toss left so a couple of holes are just a death trap to me cause i don't have a forehand yet. Btw everyone was right my wizard 2 days and it rolls too. Not as much as vip shield (my fav putter) but still it rolled today everywhere, even uphill (still not sure how that happened).
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-25-2018, 07:34 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,056
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
oh i do and i was just funning back a bit. But not a basket or two it's most of the baskets check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=902. And i toss left so a couple of holes are just a death trap to me cause i don't have a forehand yet. Btw everyone was right my wizard 2 days and it rolls too. Not as much as vip shield (my fav putter) but still it rolled today everywhere, even uphill (still not sure how that happened).
Cool, fun course. On a hilly course with fast greens like that, you basically have to get really good at matching ground angles with your putter, especially like baby flex shots so that the disc hits the ground before it comes down on edge too much. Even then, with all those exposed roots on some of those greens you're just gonna be rolling the dice sometimes. A lid in a gummy plastic would probably be your best option, like a R-Pro Polecat or Soft X Putt'R. You can also maybe tweak your putting style into more of a lob putt like Barsby or Hokom, someone whose putts go straight up and then come straight down, nose down and flat.

You can also learn to play the skip "De La" style and approach with an upside down disc or skippy disc and slide it to the basket.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Riverdog Riverdog is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 55
Niced 79 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
discs are round. it's you, not them in this instance. sorry.


I haven't read the whole thread and I most likely won't. John be correct sir.

A local friend and long time pro had an encounter with the inimitable Mr Headrick at a tournament. This friend is noted as an accomplished roller of the disc in a wide variety of situations. Mr Headrick after observing him throw a couple of rollers as escapes expressed to him that he had never intended for discs to be used in that manner. Ya gotta know JP to totally appreciate this, but he turned to Mr Headrick and said, "Then you shouldn't have made it round "


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:13 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 778
Niced 490 Times in 262 Posts
Default

I used to putt (and still do on hilly greens) with a soft proton anode. Doesn't seem to want to roll as much as my firm electron one.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,217
Niced 713 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
a few options here. A)You should explore different molds, i.e. Lids or discs that are known to just call outta da' sky (anything called a brick should work if thrown right). B) you can explore softer plastics. C) work on your angles and keep throwing the mold you're throwing now. Practice keeping the nose up and learn how to account for the skip on "faster" surfaces. Good luck!
The actual 10 MM Brick is garbage even now in new premium plastic. The new plastic is a plastic that is like the old Supreme plastic only more floppy like the Specialty plastic Putters, the Blowfly and II and Gumputt and driver version. A disc that now looks like it is best for a dog disc. The Premium plastic is good for the other discs but not the 10MM Brick.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Docxen Docxen is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 213
Niced 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The actual 10 MM Brick is garbage even now in new premium plastic. The new plastic is a plastic that is like the old Supreme plastic only more floppy like the Specialty plastic Putters, the Blowfly and II and Gumputt and driver version. A disc that now looks like it is best for a dog disc. The Premium plastic is good for the other discs but not the 10MM Brick.
oh man i'm such a stupid newb i thought he was talking an actual brick...please forgive me
Reply With Quote
 

  #59  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,217
Niced 713 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
oh man i'm such a stupid newb i thought he was talking an actual brick...please forgive me
Nah you are not stupid. The company is Quest AT and is from lower Wisconsin and when the company first came out with the Wheel and Tubo putter in a basic plastic they were the only disc golf company in production in the mid 2000's with every disc for disc golf being ban, until they made the 10m Putter (made mistake in older posts with mm) and both Crossfire molds the 10m Crossfire. Quest AT is one of those companies that makes mostly discs that are trick type disc but they are not good. About the only two that are good are the Crossfire and 10m Crossfire, like a Shark or a Comet but in a 180 gram max diameter, even the putter 10m version is in the 180 gram max diameter. I know the Shark and Comet are in a 180 gram max diameter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putter doesn't like being thrown forehand Mike McQuinn General Disc Golf Chat 15 09-09-2017 09:31 AM
An overstable putter that doesn't like to roll DrivingForceDiscGolf Discs 30 09-04-2014 11:56 AM
Anti-Roll away Putter onemilemore Discs 80 02-27-2012 12:35 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't putt with a putter? moorent Discs 61 04-24-2010 12:20 AM
Putter that won't roll down hills? Rbuzz9 Discs 39 07-03-2009 09:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.